Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 3 2013, 12:31 AM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..

I knew they were good, but ST09's DVD sales were so high I didn't expect them to be THIS good. It is the 3rd best selling bluray in the United States ever. It has sold 3,878,678 units on bluray for and additional $84,732,687 to ST09's $102 milion from DVD. I originally speculated it was in the $30-40 million range...I was way off. So from just BO gross and DVD-Bluray, ST09 has made $594 million in adjusted dollars. I'm thinking STID will probably do as well.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart
Old September 3 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..

More than double the amount sold for Star Wars? A lot of fans have refused to buy that because it doesn't have the originals. I imagine STID will not be as successful as ST'09 in light of Paramount/Bad Robot's latest tactics.

Also, there's a caveat to that list. It only captures sales from July 2009 onward. It's missing the first 7 months of sales for The Dark Knight, yet it's at 2.6 million. That's probably the true #1, making Star Trek #4.

Last edited by jimbotron; September 3 2013 at 03:44 AM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Devon
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I imagine STID will not be as successful as ST'09 in light of Paramount/Bad Robot's latest tactics.
If STID is not as successful it won't be because of that. People at large are buying the DVD/Blu-Ray to watch the film, not because they are dying to see the Behind-the-Scenes look at Benedict Cumberbatch's hairdo.
Old September 3 2013, 07:46 AM   #4
MacLeod
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
I knew they were good, but ST09's DVD sales were so high I didn't expect them to be THIS good. It is the 3rd best selling bluray in the United States ever. It has sold 3,878,678 units on bluray for and additional $84,732,687 to ST09's $102 milion from DVD. I originally speculated it was in the $30-40 million range...I was way off. So from just BO gross and DVD-Bluray, ST09 has made $594 million in adjusted dollars. I'm thinking STID will probably do as well.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart
Won't it be more than US$594m that when you factor in. Global blu-ray sales. Not to mention DVD sales?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:52 AM   #5
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Does that account for digital sales?
Old September 3 2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Flake
Commodore

Very impressive.

You can't put a negative spin on that, it is a great achievement by Star Trek
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 05:09 PM   #7
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Does that account for digital sales?
It appears to be Blu-ray sales only.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Borgminister

Ah, but did the movie turn a profit?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 06:40 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Nope and neither will Into Darkness. Rick Berman is sitting by his phone, waiting for the call to swoop in and save the day!
Old September 3 2013, 08:41 PM   #10
trekker670
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Nope and neither will Into Darkness. Rick Berman is sitting by his phone, waiting for the call to swoop in and save the day!
Is this a joke or am I missing something? According to this both ST09 and STID approximately doubled their budget in the box office (not including DVD/BR sales). Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office, but it would appear they would still made money. Admittedly, the profit margin is likely less than the other movies (with the exception of Nemesis), but I would hardly say the last two films were unsuccessful.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:51 PM   #11
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Is this a joke or am I missing something? According to this both ST09 and STID approximately doubled their budget in the box office (not including DVD/BR sales). Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office, but it would appear they would still made money. Admittedly, the profit margin is likely less than the other movies (with the exception of Nemesis), but I would hardly say the last two films were unsuccessful.

It was a joke, Cupcake

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 09:00 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

It was a joke.

But it's okay, sometimes the jokes here whoosh right over my head as well.
Old September 3 2013, 09:05 PM   #13
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget, often stating the the bluray sales need to be good in order for the studio to break even.

When I looked at the numbers, I was quite surprised that most of the Trek films tripled their budgets, whereas the last two barely doubled.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 09:20 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget, often stating the the bluray sales need to be good in order for the studio to break even.

When I looked at the numbers, I was quite surprised that most of the Trek films tripled their budgets, whereas the last two barely doubled.
From a money standpoint, the film did under-perform (I think it comes down to a very poor marketing effort). But if you go to a site like Rotten Tomatoes, you'll see that it was a critical success and liked by the vast majority of those who voted (around 250,000 people last I checked).

As far as doubling- or tripling- the budget, it is just a different economic model now. If you play in the summer you're going to go up against many other big-budget, high profile films and the time you're spending in the theaters continues to shrink. Star Trek Into Darkness was preceded two weeks earlier by Iron Man 3 and had Fast and Furious 6 release a week later.

Crowded box-office plus poor marketing equals a film that didn't do as well at the cinema as it should have. At least in my opinion.
Old September 4 2013, 05:23 AM   #15
Devon
Fleet Captain

I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget,
Not in the slightest.