RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 892
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 2 2013, 01:57 PM   #16
austen_pierce
Commander

Re: Why would Nimoy not appear in Generations, but was in Nu-Trek?

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Because Generations was pretty lame, while ST09 was fantastic?
Thus Nimoy's respect for Abrams

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yup. Even Mr Nimoy needs to eat.
I very much doubt Nimoy is destitute.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I think that Nimoy and Abrams have become very good friends. He was able to get Nimoy to come out of retirement several times to appear on Fringe.
Quinto, too. He and Nimoy are very close. The car commercial they did riffs on their real-life relationship.
Yes, being on good terms with those asking makes all the difference in the world.

Off topic... this reminds me of the Priceline commercial where Nimoy 'replaces' Shatner. It's all in good fun, but the final expression on Shatner's face is awesome.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:58 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I imagine he saw what a train-wreck Generations was going to be.
Old September 2 2013, 02:30 PM   #18
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Infern0 wrote: View Post

Yet in "into darkness" he pops up for 30 seconds in one of the most forced Cameos in cinematic history.
I disagree. His cameo was essential to nuSpock's next actions. I enjoyed seeing him again and will as long as he will appear.

The difference was that in GEN he wasn't going to be important to the script. He was going to just be there to be sad when Kirk died. That ignores the chance that Spock will be 'around' 80 years later, that he's smart and would probably have researched the Nexus like Soran did and realised that Kirk might still be alive and would have been interested in finding him.

I saw Shatner and Nimoy in Vegas 2009. Nimoy explained in a sort of comedy routine with Shatner that if he Nimoy had appeared in GEN that Kirk would never have died. Shatner pretends to doubt him but Nimoy eventually 'convinces' him. He tells Shatner he should have never appeared in the movie. If you believe Nimoy here, and I have no reason not to, he thought that Kirk shouldn't have died and not so badly (and he's not Robinson Crusoe there)
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:00 PM   #19
austen_pierce
Commander

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Infern0 wrote: View Post

Yet in "into darkness" he pops up for 30 seconds in one of the most forced Cameos in cinematic history.
I disagree. His cameo was essential to nuSpock's next actions. I enjoyed seeing him again and will as long as he will appear.

The difference was that in GEN he wasn't going to be important to the script. He was going to just be there to be sad when Kirk died. That ignores the chance that Spock will be 'around' 80 years later, that he's smart and would probably have researched the Nexus like Soran did and realised that Kirk might still be alive and would have been interested in finding him.

I saw Shatner and Nimoy in Vegas 2009. Nimoy explained in a sort of comedy routine with Shatner that if he Nimoy had appeared in GEN that Kirk would never have died. Shatner pretends to doubt him but Nimoy eventually 'convinces' him. He tells Shatner he should have never appeared in the movie. If you believe Nimoy here, and I have no reason not to, he thought that Kirk shouldn't have died and not so badly (and he's not Robinson Crusoe there)
I (and likely others here) would love to see a recording of this, if one exists.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 05:38 PM   #20
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BillJ wrote: View Post
I imagine he saw what a train-wreck Generations was going to be.
He flat-out said it. Berman asked Nimoy to direct, but Nimoy told him the script was terrible and needed a major rewrite. Berman said there was no time. Nimoy said adios.

If only Shatner had turned down being in that godawful film.
Old September 3 2013, 03:26 AM   #21
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
I know he is in his 1980s but sometimes actors can be petty like that
Holy Crappola, that's old!
I didn't know that Vulcans lived that long, but considering his lifespan, he really went to hell in the last 40 years!
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:41 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

I disagree. His cameo was essential to nuSpock's next actions.
Not really. Sure, the scene was structured so that Spock Prime's information helped Young Spock make his decision. But if Nimoy hadn't agreed to the cameo, it would've been simple enough to rewrite the script so that Young Spock came to that decision on his own.

As for why Nimoy agreed to this cameo but not the one in GEN, it could be largely because Nimoy's evidently developed a good working relationship with Abrams. Abrams has managed to coax him out of retirement a couple of times, first on ST'09, then on Fringe. So clearly he likes working with the guy. And that would've made it easier for Abrams to convince him to do a quick scene for STID.

Also, since his scene was just on the viewscreen, he didn't have to go to the trouble of coming to the set and waiting around for hours for various shots to be set up and multiple takes shot and so on. He just had to come in, put on the makeup and wardrobe, sit in front of a backdrop and read a few lines, then go home. It was much less of a commitment of his time and effort.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 05:33 AM   #23
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Spock Prime's "essential" role came down to telling nuSpock, "He's a bad guy, don't trust him." Mmmm...duh.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:20 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It was certianly better in every way than watching Spock using Google to find out about Khan.
Old September 3 2013, 08:12 PM   #25
jpv2000
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
If only Shatner had turned down being in that godawful film.
Indeed. Generations is the only prime universe Trek movie that I cannot stand.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:26 PM   #26
marksound
Fleet Captain

At the time they were casting GEN, Nimoy was not ~80 years old. Maybe he saw ST09 as the last chance he would ever have to wear the ears.

Years can make a huge difference in your perspective, as evidenced by Nimoy's own change of heart about playing the character.

(Tweens, teens, and 20-somethings, in general, despise hearing about how age changes one's views, but I always like to throw it in the mix just to piss them off. )
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 10:09 PM   #27
Leto_II
Lieutenant Commander

Even in the years immediately following GEN's release, Nimoy still expressed interest in returning to the role of Spock in a future movie -- in numerous interviews, he reiterated, "All they [Paramount] have to do is pick up the phone."

Had he gotten sent a script that he liked even many years prior to ST09, he would've undoubtedly played the role again; it wouldn't necessarily have required someone like Abrams to approach him regarding it.
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:11 AM   #28
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I disagree. His cameo was essential to nuSpock's next actions.
Not really. Sure, the scene was structured so that Spock Prime's information helped Young Spock make his decision. But if Nimoy hadn't agreed to the cameo, it would've been simple enough to rewrite the script so that Young Spock came to that decision on his own.

As for why Nimoy agreed to this cameo but not the one in GEN, it could be largely because Nimoy's evidently developed a good working relationship with Abrams. Abrams has managed to coax him out of retirement a couple of times, first on ST'09, then on Fringe. So clearly he likes working with the guy. And that would've made it easier for Abrams to convince him to do a quick scene for STID.

Also, since his scene was just on the viewscreen, he didn't have to go to the trouble of coming to the set and waiting around for hours for various shots to be set up and multiple takes shot and so on. He just had to come in, put on the makeup and wardrobe, sit in front of a backdrop and read a few lines, then go home. It was much less of a commitment of his time and effort.
I don't think Nimoy refused GEN because it was too much trouble to appear on set every day.

I like to think that Nimoy has some integrity over the Spock role and maybe he turned down the role in GEN for artistic reasons. Not saying whether he's right or wrong there. It could have been a dispute about money also or a dislike of Star Trek management at that time. From what Nimoy says now and said along the way I think it was mainly an artistic problem but who really knows.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:24 AM   #29
Gojira
Commodore

Maybe as Nimoy has aged and in the twilight of his years he is now more flexible than he was when Generations was filmed?
Old September 4 2013, 12:52 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

I don't think Nimoy refused GEN because it was too much trouble to appear on set every day.
He refused because the part he was offered to play wasn't substantial or meaningful enough to be worth the effort. So the question is why his insubstantial and somewhat gratuitous cameo in STID was worth the effort, and maybe part of the answer (though certainly not the whole answer, of course) is that it didn't take much effort. He could've gotten it over and done in a single day.

Besides, at the time of GEN, he was only 63 years old and in reasonably good health. Now he's past 80 and much more frail. He's nominally retired, and thus one has to consider what it would take to get him to make the effort to play a role. His cameo in Into Darkness reminds me of William Hartnell's appearance in "The Three Doctors" on Doctor Who -- he was ill at the time and thus only appeared on viewscreens in pre-recorded material that he performed by reading cue cards.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote