Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 2 2013, 11:01 PM   #16
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Was Roddenberry a Terrible Writer?

Besides, isn't the JFK thing basically the same as "City..."?
Old September 2 2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

^I believe Sran just said that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:16 AM   #18
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Not to mention that, whatever the story justification, having Spock kill Kennedy would have been a major turn-off for general audiences. Allowing him to be killed, a la Edith Keeler, might have worked.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 05:12 AM   #19
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Spock killing Kennedy? WTF.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:14 PM   #20
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Are we discussing GR's writing solely in ST?
ST can be a strangely unique creature, a genre all its own. Even talented experienced writers have had trouble writing for ST's particular format and style.

GR did other writing. The Lieutenant. Have Gun, Will Travel. TMP novel. Earth II/Genesis pilots.

Anyone can comment on GR's writing outside ST?
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:30 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

I've only seen a clip of one Roddenberry-penned HG,WT episode, but I felt it was pretty smart and well-written. The TMP novelization? Interesting, but awkward. It's recognizably the work of a screenwriter who's never done prose before. It's imaginative in its futurism, but reflects Roddenberry's sexual preoccupations.

Genesis II also has some interesting ideas, but in many ways it's an awkward pilot conceptually and would've been hard to sustain as a series. The future society PAX is a little too forbidding and hard to like, despite its noble ideals. The biggest problem is the portrayal of Ted Cassidy's character Isaiah as a "White Comanche," wearing brownface and talking and acting like a stereotypical TV-Indian savage.

Planet Earth is a better pilot in a lot of ways, but it was co-written by Juanita Bartlett, and she manages to temper a lot of GR's excesses, so that the plot of Dylan Hunt using his masculinity to win over the head of a female-dominated society turns out more humorous and mutually respectful than the masculine fantasy it could've been.

The Questor Tapes is also rather good, but it was co-written by GR and Gene L. Coon, and Coon was a very good writer.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:40 PM   #22
Sran
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Questor Tapes is also rather good, but it was co-written by GR and Gene L. Coon, and Coon was a very good writer.
But whatever you do, don't mention The Questor Tapes to Nimoy. I hear he's still bitter about being dropped from the lead role.

--Sran
Old September 3 2013, 04:49 PM   #23
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think he had some really good ideas in him, but wasn't always great at execution, and had some pretty lame ideas too. I think "The Cage" is a solid piece of science fiction and an effective character study of Pike. Yet many of his credited scripts or stories for TOS are loaded with silly parallel-Earth stuff ("Bread and Circuses," "The Omega Glory") or rampant sexism ("Mudd's Women," "Turnabout Intruder").
To be fair, I don't think the word "sexism" was even coined until 1970. Probably in response to something Roddenberry did.

Sran wrote: View Post

But whatever you do, don't mention The Questor Tapes to Nimoy. I hear he's still bitter about being dropped from the lead role.

--Sran
The Robert Foxworth role, or the Mike Farrell role?
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:57 PM   #24
Sran
Fleet Captain

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
Foxworth. Nimoy was supposed to get the role- and actually did have it for a while- until it was decided that Foxworth was a better fit. Nimoy called Roddenberry and screamed at him over the phone.

--Sran
Old September 3 2013, 05:08 PM   #25
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Foxworth. Nimoy was supposed to get the role- and actually did have it for a while- until it was decided that Foxworth was a better fit. Nimoy called Roddenberry and screamed at him over the phone.

--Sran
Foxworth was convincing as an unfinished android. I think they made the right choice.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:01 PM   #26
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I'm not sure Roddenberry was even that great when it came to ideas. I think his real talent was surrounding himself talented people.
Harvey wrote: View Post
From what I've read, as the movie series went along, Roddenberry spent less and less time dictating memos of any sort about them. In the Star Trek II production files there are a number of detailed memos from Roddenberry about the script; in the Star Trek VI production files there are none.
Well, that's probably because when Roddenberry tried to speak his mind Nick Meyer told him to go jump off a cliff.
Old September 3 2013, 07:26 PM   #27
marksound
Fleet Captain

Nimoy would have been better in the Mike Farrell role. It would have given him a chance to show his acting chops as a human instead of an alien or an android. Just sayin'.

Can't remember though, was Questor before or after Nimoy's stint on Mission: Impossible?
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:29 PM   #28
Sran
Fleet Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Well, that's probably because when Roddenberry tried to speak his mind Nick Meyer told him to go jump off a cliff.
To be fair, Roddenberry threw a fit about Meyer's original plan of making Saavik the traitor because he didn't like the idea of such a popular character betraying her shipmates. Meyer told him, "Well, I'm the one who created the Saavik character, so I can use her however I want. If you have a problem with it, then maybe you should give back all the money you made off the films I was involved with. Then I'll care what you think."

--Sran
Old September 3 2013, 07:40 PM   #29
jpv2000
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I'm not sure Roddenberry was even that great when it came to ideas. I think his real talent was surrounding himself talented people.
This is the way I feel about it. I'm just glad all those talented people were around.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:52 PM   #30
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Foxworth was convincing as an unfinished android. I think they made the right choice.
Foxworth is a better actor than Nimoy.

*Hides*

To be fair, Roddenberry threw a fit about Meyer's original plan of making Saavik the traitor because he didn't like the idea of such a popular character betraying her shipmates. Meyer told him, "Well, I'm the one who created the Saavik character, so I can use her however I want. If you have a problem with it, then maybe you should give back all the money you made off the films I was involved with. Then I'll care what you think."
--Sran
I've heard this before and always found it a bit contemptuous on Meyer's part. I agree that it was probably the right thing to do and the she was his character and he could do what he wanted with her, but the whole "give back the money" bit, aside from being douchey, is asinine and presumptuous.

For one thing, had it not been for Star Trek, Meyer would still be a hack nobody. And, frankly, outside of Trekdom, he is a hack nobody.