Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 28 2013, 07:19 PM   #31
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: DS9 on blu-ray -- What can we do?

GNDN wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
Seems pretty clear-cut to me. TNG may have been the favorite back in the day, but a *lot* of people feel DS9 has aged better. That's worth something to the studios, whether they realize it or not.

Has there been any announced plans of returning TNG to HD syndication? Or is there an assumption that this would only happen after all 7 seasons are complete?

I'm sure most here are already aware, but I did re-read this article recently which may lead to more optimism and an answer to those concerned about the increasing use of CGI. Trekcore Article
Well TNG-HD has been airing on the Syfy Channel (UK). There might also be some fans waiting for the boxset of all seasons to come out.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:23 PM   #32
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Dream wrote: View Post
garaks the best wrote: View Post
It's funny how it is always DS9 fans starting these topics, while VOY fans don't give a crap about whether their show is remastered or not. I heard VOY dvd sales were pretty awful too!
Do you know if DS9 sold well?
DS9 sets apparently sold beyond Paramount's expectations.
Of course it did. The good shows with low (comparatively) ratings always do.

You'd think the studios would figure this out eventually.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:49 PM   #33
MacLeod
Admiral

But if you expect X show to shift 50 000 units and it shifts 70 000 it exceed you're expectations. Reverse it and it failed to meet expectations. So perhaps it all comes down to how well Paramount expected each show to sell.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:52 PM   #34
dub
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
There might also be some fans waiting for the boxset of all seasons to come out.
Wow. I shudder to think how much a boxed set of 7 seasons on bluray would cost. I walked past a set of one season of TNG in Target the other day, and I had to do a double-take when I saw the price tag! But for some reason, I don't think I'd have the same reaction if I saw DS9 on bluray. I'd fork out the cash faster than you can say, "Dabo!"
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:09 PM   #35
Dream
Admiral

ST:TNG Season 7 sold about 80,000 units during its first year in 2003 at the $100 Price point, generating about $8.3 million. I imagine the total is much more now.

No other Trek series DVD was in the top 50 sellers for TV DVDs in 2003. X-Files wasn't there either.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer dvd sets were huge that year. Season 5 sold twice as much units as TNG and made about as much money, but keep in mind the Buffy sets were cheaper.

"Family Guy," "The Simpsons," "Friends," and "Sex and the City" sold even better.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:31 AM   #36
garaks the best
Lieutenant

garaks the best wrote: View Post
It's funny how it is always DS9 fans starting these topics, while VOY fans don't give a crap about whether their show is remastered or not. I heard VOY dvd sales were pretty awful too!
Do you know if DS9 sold well?
DS9 sets apparently sold beyond Paramount's expectations.
Great it's good to see quality appreciated.
garaks the best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:10 PM   #37
IronWaffle
Ensign

In addition to the many ideas posted above, one thing worth doing might be to sign up on Amazon's mailing list for DS9 on Blu-ray and then write a review (currently there are only three) indicting your interest.

Couldn't hurt.

Thankfully, CBS seems to care more about the franchise on home video than Paramount does, so I'm personally optimistic.
IronWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:33 PM   #38
Tom
Rear Admiral

Future-proofing is what it's about! Eventually we will move out of HD to Ultra HD, 4k, etc.. so if we leave Ds9 and Voyager in SD they really become more useless as time goes on.
Old September 3 2013, 09:23 AM   #39
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Seems pretty clear-cut to me. TNG may have been the favorite back in the day, but a *lot* of people feel DS9 has aged better. That's worth something to the studios, whether they realize it or not.
I think they have got to at least put season 1 out there to feel out the demand, the problem is that they pretty much need to be working on 2 and 3 already to keep any flow in the releases.

Blu Ray is a format with a shelf life, and they need to pull their fingers out or they will never get through everything before the time runs out!
Old September 3 2013, 04:15 PM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I shelled out a 100 bucks a season back when the DVDs came out for TNG, DS9 and Voyager... out of the three, DS9 might be the only one I'd be interested in getting on bluray... and even then, I'd probably wait until there's a package deal.
Old September 3 2013, 04:39 PM   #41
dub
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
DS9 might be the only one I'd be interested in getting on bluray... and even then, I'd probably wait until there's a package deal.
Wow, I don't know if I have that kind of strength, R. Star. But that would certainly be a wise move.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 05:04 PM   #42
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well the marketing department hopes you don't.

But to me... Star Trek is more about the stories than the flashy graphics. So shelling out for slightly upgraded graphics isn't high on my priority list. The main things in the TNG blurays I've been interested in is the deleted scenes, but even those show up on youtube so... yeah.
Old September 3 2013, 08:38 PM   #43
Leto_II
Commander

But to me... Star Trek is more about the stories than the flashy graphics. So shelling out for slightly upgraded graphics isn't high on my priority list. The main things in the TNG blurays I've been interested in is the deleted scenes, but even those show up on youtube so... yeah.
Remember though that the overall principle behind a Blu-Ray release goes far beyond simply updating the VFX -- for a TV series shot on 35mm film stock, there is a massive upgrade in resolution for the live-action scenes involving the actors versus what is possible with DVD.

When you compare the TNG BDs to the TNG DVD releases head-to-head, the difference is absolutely breathtaking, and that's before you even get to the upgrades in visual effects (which, like you, are simply the cherry atop the sundae for me).
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:42 PM   #44
Leto_II
Commander

dub wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
There might also be some fans waiting for the boxset of all seasons to come out.
Wow. I shudder to think how much a boxed set of 7 seasons on bluray would cost. I walked past a set of one season of TNG in Target the other day, and I had to do a double-take when I saw the price tag! But for some reason, I don't think I'd have the same reaction if I saw DS9 on bluray. I'd fork out the cash faster than you can say, "Dabo!"
Also, bear in mind that no studio in its right mind would ever in a million years release seven years' worth of brand-new television series Blu-Ray product all at once onto the market as a boxed set at full retail cost.

They'd never sell enough copies to break even, much less turn a reasonable profit; the sell-through costs at launch for the individual seasons are already substantial, and seven such seasons dropping at once would be far out of most Trek fans' price-range, to say the least.
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 10:33 PM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Leto_II wrote: View Post
Remember though that the overall principle behind a Blu-Ray release goes far beyond simply updating the VFX -- for a TV series shot on 35mm film stock, there is a massive upgrade in resolution for the live-action scenes involving the actors versus what is possible with DVD.

When you compare the TNG BDs to the TNG DVD releases head-to-head, the difference is absolutely breathtaking, and that's before you even get to the upgrades in visual effects (which, like you, are simply the cherry atop the sundae for me).
I've seen a few of the episodes on BluRay, the difference it noticeable.. it just doesn't matter to me. I don't enjoy it any more beyond a moment of "hey that's neat." Is that worth shelling out for a new set? I don't think so. As I said, the deleted scene extras are the only reason I'd even think about buying them, and those end up on youtube eventually anyways.

Different people, different tastes. I know some people seem personally insulted when I say the BluRays just don't impress me all that much.