Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 2 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
austen_pierce
Captain

TMP Refit - Why?

Aside from the obvious, that the refit looks better on the big screen, why would a ship nearly twenty years old get such an extensive makeover as opposed to being demolished and replaced with a fresh vessel?
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: TMP Refit - Why?

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Aside from the obvious, that the refit looks better on the big screen, why would a ship nearly twenty years old get such an extensive makeover as opposed to being demolished and replaced with a fresh vessel?
Even if we ignore retconned details about Enterprise's age, it's still not entirely clear why the ship got a refit instead being replaced outright. A few of the novels suggest that Starfleet had been wanting to try out several new designs on already existing ships because it would be less costly in terms of manpower and equipment. Others merely make the argument that the Enterprise is more or less a new ship even though bits and pieces of the old vessel's configuration were recycled into the new body. But it's never stated clearly on screen why the refit happened. We just know that it did.

Interestingly enough, Nick Meyer and Harve Bennett seemed to ignore the refit. Meyer went so far as to suggest that the Enterprise actually looked the same as she did during the television series but they were now able to show it (similar to Roddenberry's explanation about Klingon ridges) because of a bigger effects budget. This would explain why the ship was headed for mothballs before Kirk stole it from spacedock in TSFS. Roddenberry hated the idea and also threw a fit when Bennett told him they were blowing the ship up. But I digress...

Christopher has an interesting take on some of the political reasons behind the refit with certain Starfleet officers using it as an excuse to get their hands on the ship's engine components for reasons I won't elaborate on here. I'll let Mr. Bennett comment if he so chooses.

--Sran
Old September 2 2013, 09:29 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

To sell copies of Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
Old September 2 2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral

A fairly obvious reason would be to circumvent the treaty with the Klingons. It's rather inevitable that such a treaty would have clauses on how many ships of a given type the two sides could have, and so forth. Pretending that an essentially all-new ship is a "refit" would no doubt allow Starfleet to exploit a loophole of some sort! Or, refitting could be for real, as Starfleet just plain wouldn't be allowed to build another heavy cruiser from keel up and would just have to make the best of the ships it already had - until the right moment came to break the treaty and start the war. Starfleet would feel much happier about starting the war with refitted rather than unrefitted ships...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

I've always thought Starfleet ships were somewhat modular. Swap out the sensor suite / warp core / deflector, plug in the new type and off you go. Thus really old space frames like The Excelsior remain viable and in service into the TNG era.

Add to this, every light year explored brings a huge volume of space into play - more and more ships are required all the time. Older models are perfect for run of the mill operations, freeing state of the art ships up for front line exploration.
Old September 3 2013, 12:40 AM   #6
arch101
Fleet Captain

As we celebrate the conclusion of WWII on this day in 1945, some interesting related reading would be about USS Missouri. She was 40 years old when she was extensively modernized and updated in the 1980's. Sometimes, a unique design is worth modernizing rather than building a whole new ship.
Old September 3 2013, 12:44 AM   #7
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Don't count out how much pull Kirk (an Admiral) had in the decision. He could have pushed to refit over replace.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:28 AM   #8
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Because it's normal for big ships to be refitted when they're sufficiently old or when their primary tasks are changed? Note the USS Intrepid (CV-11), after being decommissioned between the end of World War II and the start of the Korean War, was extensively refitted in 1962 to become an anti-submarine vehicle, and again in 1972 (I forget what it was reconfigured to), and that for a vessel which was (finally) decommissioned only two years later. That's pretty big refurbishments every decade for its operational life.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Timo
Admiral

Because it's normal for big ships to be refitted when they're sufficiently old or when their primary tasks are changed?
But is it, when the E-nil is our only onscreen example of such an extensive refit?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:22 PM   #10
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Don't count out how much pull Kirk (an Admiral) had in the decision. He could have pushed to refit over replace.
That's a good point. And not just any Admiral, but Chief of Starfleet Operations.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:16 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I've always liked Shane Johnson's idea that it started off as an engine upgrade that spiraled out of control and wound up being a total redesign. The Enterprise wound up being a testbed for new systems and components that were incorporated into other designs such as the Miranda- and Constellation-classes.
Old September 3 2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I've always liked Shane Johnson's idea that it started off as an engine upgrade that spiraled out of control and wound up being a total redesign. The Enterprise wound up being a testbed for new systems and components that were incorporated into other designs such as the Miranda- and Constellation-classes.
Didn't Mr Scott's Guide claim the Ent-A had transwarp drive?
Old September 3 2013, 07:51 PM   #13
jpv2000
Captain

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
That's a good point. And not just any Admiral, but Chief of Starfleet Operations.
True.

I'm just glad they did the upgrade. The nacelles on the TV version of the Enterprise always looked super weak to me and the refit nacelles were a nice step up. I also loved the torpedo bay. The refit Enterprise is still my favorite ship design.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 09:03 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Didn't Mr Scott's Guide claim the Ent-A had transwarp drive?
Like a great deal of the book, it was purely his conjecture based on some of the other reference materials at hand at the time (pre-TNG). He proposed that the Enterprise-A was a brand-new--but renamed--Enterprise-class ship with a different model of transwarp engines built to be incorporated into an existing design (unlike the Excelsior).