New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 29 2013, 06:13 AM   #31
Lego Thrawn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Phase II Enterprise Study Model

That's a pretty sweet drawing.
Lego Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:44 AM   #32
Shaw
Commodore

I spent some time working on the weapon assembly this week. The parts are still quite rough, and the main thing I've been focusing on is getting them to fit the contours of the model. Right now it is made up of three parts... the assembly body, and the upper and lower supports. The lower support was the hardest part to build because it had to match the secondary hull.

Here is a few shots of the parts put in place, they aren't glued together yet, they are just set in place to make sure they all fit together.

I think I put off making the weapon assembly for as long as I have because I felt it takes away from the elegant lines of the design, but now that I have the parts in place it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:24 AM   #33
Mario de Monti
Captain

This is definitely coming along very, very nicely Can´t wait to see more!
Old September 23 2013, 07:11 AM   #34
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

I always thought this was the Phase II enterprise

http://collectingthefuture.blogspot....adventure.html

I have this book at my Dad's unopened. I noticed that it wasnt the Eneteprise refit, and always assumed that it was the phase II ship. But it seems it is not...then what is it?

Btw, great job on the construction of that study model. I wish I knew how to build models from scratch...
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 11:45 AM   #35
Shaw
Commodore

Thanks!

That is the TMP model as originally finished. The model was damaged (bridge/B/C deck structure) and the idea of self illumination was added just before the beginning of effects shooting.

Some of the other changes included placement of the decals and the elimination of a bunch of red lines (racing stripes) all over the model. This is a quick-n-dirty diagram of what the striping looked like from the bottom of the primary hull…

Old September 23 2013, 02:41 PM   #36
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

IIRC, the surface details and lighting changed when Doug Trumbull was pulled onto the project late. There was some issue with the early VFX shots (from Apogee maybe? Can't remember) and he was brought in to make some adjustments. The post-Phase II/pre-TMP design showed up in a lot of early promotional artwork and merchandise. I think I may still have the jigsaw puzzle with that design, and the toy with removable components also was of the pre-TMP design. Looking at it side-to-side with the AMT-ERTL kit, which was in roughly the same scale, it always befuddled me as a kid why the two different layouts. Artwork I could understand - even then - I got that there was always a certain level of artistic interpretation and stylized deviation in painted works. But when my 8-year-old brain saw two real-life models, both nearly identical and yet very blatantly different, it really furrowed my brow back then. I guess I was as OCD about ship design as a child as I still am today.
Old September 24 2013, 07:16 AM   #37
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The scrapped footage was that produced by RA&A (Robert Able & Associates) aka ASTRA (supposedly meaning something like A Star Trek/Robert Abel). Apogee was Dykstra's outfit and Trumbull's was Future General.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 08:38 AM   #38
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

Shaw wrote: View Post
That is the TMP model as originally finished. The model was damaged (bridge/B/C deck structure)....
Interesting. I've never heard this tidbit. I'd like to know more!
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 06:17 PM   #39
Shaw
Commodore

QuinnTV wrote: View Post
Shaw wrote: View Post
That is the TMP model as originally finished. The model was damaged (bridge/B/C deck structure)....
Interesting. I've never heard this tidbit. I'd like to know more!
Okay, so what I can gather (including conversations with some people and published interviews with others) this seems to be how this unfolded…

In December of 1977 it was officially released to the production people working on Star Trek Phase II that the series was going to be reworked into a movie. And that Robert Abel and Associates would be the lead for special effects. I think that Magicam may have known about this even before everyone else was let in. Meetings were set up for Abel, Richard Taylor, Roddenberry and some others to review what had been produced so far for Phase II and to see what could be used in the movie. The meeting for miniatures took place at Magicam's workshop.

Here is the thing, I've seen two sets of photos from this inspection… and they don't include the same people or models. Taylor seemed to be at the shop earlier looking over Magicam's work but is absent from images later when Brick Price and Don Loos brought over elements of the Phase II Enterprise and assembled it for inspection. In later interviews Taylor described a two and a half to three foot model that wasn't designed to be lit with not much surface details. The Phase II Enterprise was over five feet long and was intended to be fully lit. I don't think Taylor actually ever saw the Phase II Enterprise. What he seems to be describing was the 33 inch TOS Enterprise that was being used as a reference for Phase II.

Why does this matter? The Phase II Enterprise model was deemed unusable because it was too small to show up nicely on the large screen. A larger (eight foot) model was decided on and Magicam was given the project rather than Brick Price and Don Loos. This was important to Magicam because they were just starting out and the TMP Enterprise would be a nice boost to their resume.

Taylor wasn't a fan of the Enterprise design, but Roddenberry was adamant about keeping the overall design. Taylor enlisted Andrew Probert to help him redesign the Enterprise, using Jefferies plans as a starting point. This is funny in that Taylor has consistently taken credit for moving the nacelle design from the TOS cylinders to the TMP "rectilinear" style, seeming to have forgotten that his nacelle design was actually a modification of Jefferies' Phase II nacelles.

Here is a comparison of the Taylor/Probert Enterprise next to the Jefferies' Enterprise…

This is a more honest representation of their contributions to the design than what Taylor usually shows (which is a comparison with Franz Joseph's TOS Enterprise plans).

At any rate, these new plans were what Magicam used to build the TMP Enterprise. The model was built and test shots were taken. This was when more shuffling came about and Abel and Taylor found themselves no longer part of the production.

So two events occurred, Douglas Trumbull took over and it rained in Southern California. The idea was put forward for the Enterprise to have self illumination spot lights which was going to require some changes to the model. Unfortunately the model, while in storage, found itself under a leak in the roof that wrecked the bridge/B/C deck structure and damaged the upper surface of the primary hull. Rather than rebuild it the way it was, they took this opportunity to redesign it into what we eventually saw on screen.

But yes, the damage was extensive enough that large areas of the model needed to be repainted and one of the things that was not included in the refinishing was the racing stripes. The only part of those that made it to the final version were the lines on the upper dorsal and part of the lines around the RCS mounts on the primary hull.

Slightly off topic, Taylor's description of the 33 inch TOS Enterprise model confirms other accounts that the model was loaned to Robert Abel and Associates in 1978. Unfortunately it also shows that the people working there had no idea what it was or how it might have been valuable. And with Taylor's attitude of "scrap everything and start over", it isn't any wonder that when Roddenberry contacted Abel to get the model back they weren't able to find it.

I'm not saying that Taylor destroyed the 33 inch Enterprise, but if his attitude was indicative of those working at Robert Abel and Associates, it isn't surprising that that was the mission she never returned from.
Old September 26 2013, 07:02 AM   #40
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

WOW. Thank goodness he didnt loan them the 12ft miniature. Speaking of which, it doesn't look like itself anymore. There are lines on the ventral saucer that didnt show up on the show. Also despite being behind glass, it lots like the 12ft tos miniature is deterioting and color fading badly.
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 09:08 PM   #41
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Here is a thread you might find interesting: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202726

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:18 AM   #42
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

Once again, Shaw delivers. Thank you!
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 07:48 PM   #43
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Wow.

Shaw, while I allow for the possibility that you've misinterpreted some discussions or missed a detail here and there, your argument is compelling. Once again, you've demonstrated meticulous attention to minutia and arrived at a perfectly logical deduction.

I'm not saying that Taylor destroyed the 33 inch Enterprise, but if his attitude was indicative of those working at Robert Abel and Associates, it isn't surprising that that was the mission she never returned from.
That's ... devastating. I used to have a big line-printer graphic of Spock holding that Enterprise. It's infuriating to think that such an artifact simply got tossed with the trash.
Old September 29 2013, 10:39 PM   #44
publiusr
Commodore

I kept thinking Rod Roddenberry had it somewhere.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 10:28 PM   #45
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Wasn't there some apocryphal story that the threw it in the swimming pool?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote