Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 26 2013, 06:11 PM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Mirror universe humans - sociopaths and psychopaths

But the only reason their history differs from ours, in matters large or small, is because they follow a different moral compass. The practical aspect of Mirror existence is that you have to expect the worst of each individual. By our standards, and by those of our "regular" heroes, they're spoiled goods all.

how convenient it is that out of the infinity the writers pick one where that rare moment is occurring!
Convenient, yes. Unlikely - not really. Because it's the very intersection point that makes the contact happen. There would be no contact between a universe that is lacking a Benjamin Sisko and wants to kidnap one, and a universe that has no Benjamin Sisko to offer; the intersections necessarily only happen when they can.

Apparently, the very concept of Mirror interaction hinges on it being dramatic (not surprisingly!), and for some reason no humdrum interaction can ever happen. But this can easily be phrased in typically vague Trek/scifi terms of specific people from different universes attracting each other. Or holes left by people doing the attracting, much as in semiconductor physics.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Yeah I know it's just a convention they set up to tell a different story and I know it can explained away in the same way everything unscientific can be explained away in the ST universe. But it burns us. It burns.
Old September 1 2013, 05:19 PM   #18
E-DUB
Captain

It is unlikely in the extreme that the MU Enterprise would contain mostly the same crew and all the command crew of its prime universe counterpart. Having said that, however, it was the only universe with which the initial crossover could have occurred. Or I'm just plain wrong and many cross-overs took place and the events of "Mirror, Mirror" took place across a multitude of alternate timelines. I have heard, but am unable to substantiate, that the original plan was to imply that Kirk and company had not returned to their original universe at the end but that idea was dropped in favor of the Marlena ending. (As an aside, I'd love to see a follow-up involving prime universe Marlena and Kirk's "observation" that they could become "friends", knowing what Kirk's definition of such a friendship would doubtless entail.)

The idea that there is a multitude of MU-type alternates is sort of already out there, what with the comic stories, Dark Mirror, and the other various lit efforts.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 10:56 PM   #19
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It is unlikely in the extreme that the MU Enterprise would contain mostly the same crew and all the command crew of its prime universe counterpart.
I think it's fair to say there's a string of fate throughout the Trek multiverse - Seven of Nine taking Kes' place in the Jefferies tube during a Krenim attack (Before and After/Year of Hell), the Enterprise-D being destroyed by a Klingon Bird of Prey damaging it's warp core coolant and ejection systems (Yesterday's Enterprise/Generations), Kirk or Spock sacrificing themselves to save the ship when fighting Khan (Wrath of Khan/Into Darkness) etc etc - all sorts of similar things had to have happened in the Mirror Universe too to ensure all the key characters were around and parallel to their prime counterparts in ENT, TOS and DS9, despite radically different circumstances.
Old September 2 2013, 07:55 PM   #20
austen_pierce
Commander

Have to go here... If the MU mirrors heroes into villains, does it turn villains into heroes? Does Khan become a benevolent statesman, courageously progressing culture and technology while the rest of the human race tries to tear itself and by extension him apart?
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 08:09 PM   #21
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The Mirror-Klingons and Mirror-Cardassians didn't really seem that much different from their counterparts in attitude, though Worf's a possible exception.
Old September 2 2013, 08:39 PM   #22
matthunter
Vice Admiral

I've got the worrying feeling that the Mirror universe is actually "our" reality, and the one we typically see in Trek is the "alternate"...
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
matthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:46 AM   #23
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Have to go here... If the MU mirrors heroes into villains, does it turn villains into heroes? Does Khan become a benevolent statesman, courageously progressing culture and technology while the rest of the human race tries to tear itself and by extension him apart?
I'd say it depends on the characters. Mirror Spock was always very similar in many respects to his counterpart (and developed a secret jealousy of him according to the Mirror Universe Saga, because our Spock was able to pursue Vulcan interests and have genuine friends), and the MUS also depicted Mirror Marlena as having changed as a result of meeting our Kirk. Mirror David, who was alive and well in the other universe, seemed to be very much like his counterpart and was definitely a hero.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 05:24 AM   #24
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

matthunter wrote: View Post
I've got the worrying feeling that the Mirror universe is actually "our" reality, and the one we typically see in Trek is the "alternate"...
You're not alone. I've felt that way for years, myself.