Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Voyager v.s. The Next Generation and Deep Space 9
Voyager 11 26.83%
The Next Generation/Deep Space 9 30 73.17%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1 2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Voyager v.s. The Next Generation and Deep Space 9

DonIago wrote: View Post
(blinks) Obsession with space battle scenes?

Beyond a certain point, the series was portraying a war between two major powers. Battles were inevitably going to occur, and I believe they're in the minority of episodes.

Anyway, sorry if the show wasn't to your liking.
I left out the main reason I felt that way. During the first run, due to some unpleasant personal misfortunes, I missed huge chunks of the Dominion War, and missed most of the final season (until I managed to find the 7th season this year at a used video store). I'm still not clear on the entire Dominion storyline because I missed so much of Seasons 5 & 6.

When I was able to catch the show, it was either in the middle of a Dominion arc, or Dukat's face turn, or some lackluster standalone episode unrelated to anything else. So it just looked like big battles for the sake of big battles. It may take a while until I'm able to see everything and figure out what was going on.

I had a similar problem with Enterprise, when circumstances caused me to miss most of Season 3 and all of Season 4, until getting the series collection this year.
Old September 1 2013, 06:54 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DonIago wrote: View Post
Amusingly I can't tell whether that's intended to be worst-best or best-worst.
This ">" is a greater than sign.
Old September 1 2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

DS9 beat VOY in stories, characters, development and overall feel. They had great arcs, plenty of storylines that crossed each season and were revisited, rich and interesting main characters and brilliant recurring ones too.

VOY had some good moments but it never hit what it could've been, it never had a sense of isolation and desperation that a ship lost 70 years from home would have had, whilst the premise itself kinda demands the need for some sense of serialisation. Add to that some wishy-washy characters who didn't really go anywhere and the fact that most were ignored for a pair of bionic boobs in the matter half of the show.

That compared to the combined might of TNG/DS9 and it doesn't stand a chance.
Old September 1 2013, 08:04 PM   #19
Akiraprise

Voyager remains my favorite. Although I like all of the series. Any Star Trek is better than no Star Trek.

I never really got into DS9 first run thanks to the network that was showing it butchering the schedule. I missed huge chunks of the ongoing arcs thanks to sports preemptions all of the time.

TNG is good, despite the first two seasons looking bad from today's standards. The stories still hold true. ENT's first two seasons were mediocre at best, the last two were pretty sweet. TOS is TOS, it started it all.

But I have a soft spot for VOY. It was showing when I was going through high school and I really looked forward to watching it week after week. It was the Trek I grew up with and it aired at a time when spoilers were pretty much nonexistent for me. I did not know of any behind the scenes stuff. I just liked the characters, the ship, the premise, Seven of Nine...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you Admiral. I've deprived your ship of power and when I swing around I mean to deprive you of your life. But I wanted you to know first who it was who had beaten you." - The Khan formerly known as...Khan
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 08:25 PM   #20
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Although it's not my favorite Trek series (I don't often have a hankering to rewatch episodes the way I do with even Enterprise), I think Voyager gets unfairly maligned as TOS part 3. It's a little too easy to point to single episodes and say, "that's why Voyager was so bad," as if the other series didn't have their crewmembers transforms in strange ways. I do think the show went too many times to the well with the Borg, diluting one of the franchise's more powerful storytelling tools.

On the other hand, I think that the first two seasons are more assured than the other series. Although the Kazon could seem to be derivative and unbelievable in their incompetence, they were certainly the right size for villains for the ship. Indeed, if the story had remained in the Alpha Quadrant, Janeway et al would not be taking on the same tasks as Picard. It's missions would be smaller in scale, and the villains would need to be downsized appropriately (unless, of couse, the ship became involved in the Dominion War).

Of all the little things that could have been done to improve the show (like not focusing on three characters and pissing off the rest of the cast), there's really only one thing I think would have drastically improved the show: that Mulgrew was invested in Janeway the same way Brooks was invested in Sisko, putting forth not just a de facto vision of a women in charge, but making the character a focus of commentary on femininity and authority. (I'm sure people will disagree with the assessment.)

BTW, I didn't vote in the poll--too simple.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 08:40 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post

VOY had some good moments but it never hit what it could've been, it never had a sense of isolation and desperation that a ship lost 70 years from home would have had, whilst the premise itself kinda demands the need for some sense of serialisation.
Agreed, I too never really got the impression that these characters thought they might not see home again. And as you say the premise leant itself to a more serailsied show.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:22 AM   #22
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^Pretty much. I tend to boil it down to "good premise, botched execution". But it does have its share of great episodes. Just...could have been better.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:54 AM   #23
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I used to hate Voyager but I don't anymore. Some that is just in light of what came after and I'm sure there's nostalgia for Berman Trek in the mix too.

I still don't think it's as good as TNG or DS9. Like some others, I just don't think it lived up to its potential. But it does serve as Trek comfort food fairly well. And it's production values still hold up, even after all this time.

I rank them:
1) DS9
2) TNG
3) VOY

Overall:
1) DS9
2) TNG
3) TOS
4) ENT (only the third and fourth seasons; I got into them way more than I ever did any season of VOY; though I do think that VOY had better written characters than ENT and Janeway was a better captain than Archer)
5) VOY
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:45 PM   #24
Nine of Four
Commander

DS9, just because I love the continuity in the last coupke seasons....

Although I haven't finished VOY or TNG, so my opinion may change.....
Old September 3 2013, 12:20 AM   #25
garaks the best
Lieutenant

DS9 is the best in my opinion by far but i like voyager in small doses i just wish the characters were a bit more interesting and the plot was a little more serialized.
garaks the best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:45 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Why are you pitting one series against two series?

That seems like bully work.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:56 AM   #27
Nine of Four
Commander

^ Some peopleare diehard VOY fans.....

My uncle, for example.....
Old September 3 2013, 02:02 AM   #28
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Hm...it seems unfair to put 1 series against 2.

I love VOY, but I also love DS9 and TNG.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:03 AM   #29
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

teacake wrote: View Post
Why are you pitting one series against two series?

That seems like bully work.
Haha I missed this post. I just said the same thing.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:09 AM   #30
Dream
Admiral

Can't we just all agree Picard had a better hairstyle than Janeway in their early years on their shows?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote