Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 2 2013, 05:45 PM   #31
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: thoughts on alice eve returning as carol marcus

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post
I think AE has potential as an actress.
I prefer actors to have actualized their potential by the time the cameras start rolling.
You'll never make it in Hollywood.
That's fine, because I've set my sights on Bollywood instead.

FarStrider wrote:
Holy crap, it is like no one ever remembers this not so little fact. The Bad Robot peeps couldn't swing a dead cat without someone asking them about Khan.
So what?

Just because one is constantly faced with inane requests does not mean one must cave in to them.
Old September 2 2013, 05:59 PM   #32
SeerSGB
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I prefer actors to have actualized their potential by the time the cameras start rolling.
You'll never make it in Hollywood.
That's fine, because I've set my sights on Bollywood instead.

FarStrider wrote:
Holy crap, it is like no one ever remembers this not so little fact. The Bad Robot peeps couldn't swing a dead cat without someone asking them about Khan.
So what?

Just because one is constantly faced with inane requests does not mean one must cave in to them.
And yet, that is what the fans want them to do.
Old September 2 2013, 09:01 PM   #33
austen_pierce
Captain

While I loved the film, I wasn't crazy about every last nod to TWOK. I thought Quinto's "KHAAAAAAN!!!" was overdone. I wonder how many fans would hop into a bird of prey, warp around our sun, jump in front of Bad Robot insisting just as adamantly that they do NOT do KHAN.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 09:09 PM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral

I'm maybe in the minority camp here, but whilst i enjoyed STID, I thought there were to many callbacks to TWOK in the movie. I didn't see the need to re-use Khan, would the film really have been much different it Harrison was just another gentically enhanced superman who like Khan lef/was banished into space following the eugenics war?

I wouldn't mind Eve appearing in the next film, but I think the next one should try to be it's own creature. I'm not saying don't have any callbacks to TOS but keep them to a minimum and somewhat in the background than upfront.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 09:46 PM   #35
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I didn't see the need to re-use Khan, would the film really have been much different it Harrison was just another gentically enhanced superman who like Khan lef/was banished into space following the eugenics war?
Yeah, it would. People would be complaining about ripping off Khan and wondering why they didn't use him instead of another lame ass expy of Khan.

Also I on a personal note would probably not care as much about this character as he would again be just a lame ass expy of Khan.

I wouldn't mind Eve appearing in the next film, but I think the next one should try to be it's own creature. I'm not saying don't have any callbacks to TOS but keep them to a minimum and somewhat in the background than upfront.
Kind of hard to do that in a film about Kirk and Spock seeing as they were the main characters of TOS, not to mention using the Enterprise which was the ship from TOS, as well as the rest of the cast from TOS.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 10:40 PM   #36
SeerSGB
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I didn't see the need to re-use Khan, would the film really have been much different it Harrison was just another gentically enhanced superman who like Khan lef/was banished into space following the eugenics war?
Yeah, it would. People would be complaining about ripping off Khan and wondering why they didn't use him instead of another lame ass expy of Khan.

Also I on a personal note would probably not care as much about this character as he would again be just a lame ass expy of Khan.

Kind of hard to do that in a film about Kirk and Spock seeing as they were the main characters of TOS, not to mention using the Enterprise which was the ship from TOS, as well as the rest of the cast from TOS.
That's what pisses me off with fandom(s) sometimes: narrow sighted.

I would have loved to have kept the character as John Harrison. The "twist" of him being Khan was unneeded and, IMO, hurt the character I had been watching up to that point.

But a lot of fans think Augments/Eugenics Wars = Khan, full stop. Khan and his 72 followers are it in the 23rd century. And that's fairly limited thinking. What, Khan was the only one to think of fleeing Earth? Did none of the others build bunkers or lunar outposts to hide in till shit blew over?
Old September 2 2013, 10:49 PM   #37
Infern0
Captain

They should kill off Uhura in the start of the next movie and replace her with Carol as main cast

Uhura is TERRIBLE
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:02 AM   #38
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'm maybe in the minority camp here, but whilst i enjoyed STID, I thought there were to many callbacks to TWOK in the movie. I didn't see the need to re-use Khan, would the film really have been much different it Harrison was just another gentically enhanced superman who like Khan lef/was banished into space following the eugenics war?
I'm in the same boat, STID was a decent enough film but when they started reusing the TWOK script it just became really dull. If Harrison had remained as the baddie, even without the genetic superman traits, but just an "evil genius" with a serious grudge against Starfleet, then it would have made for a more enjoyable film all round.

Infern0 wrote: View Post
They should kill off Uhura in the start of the next movie and replace her with Carol as main cast

Uhura is TERRIBLE
She really really is.

I'm waiting for the moment in the third film when she snaps her fingers and goes 'Mm-hmm'.
Old September 3 2013, 08:20 AM   #39
Infern0
Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
She really really is.

I'm waiting for the moment in the third film when she snaps her fingers and goes 'Mm-hmm'.
The character adds nothing, there is no reason that she needs to be on screen, I think there is a lot more depth to Carol Marcus character, it'd be a shame to lose her tbf, and I was a sceptic when I saw the bikini photo
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:30 AM   #40
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
And yet, that is what the fans want them to do.
"They should find someone who will listen to the fans."
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:32 AM   #41
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
NOT bringing Alice Eve back in the next film will leave us all scratching our heads as to why they introduced her in this movie. Would we be left to assume that something meaningful had happened off screen and then have David appear mysteriously in some future outing. Actually, I hope they DON'T introduce David. Not even fans liked him.
I liked David.

As for Alice, I hope she returns, as I like her character and want to see how things develop for her.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:34 AM   #42
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Did none of the others build bunkers or lunar outposts to hide in till shit blew over?
Doctor Stavos Keniclius, "The Infinite Vulcan" (TAS). Escaped to Phylos.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote