RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,948
Members: 25,501
Currently online: 503
Newest member: Bille de clown

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: which rumored director do you want to direct?
Rupert wyatt 3 8.57%
Joe Cornish 0 0%
Jon M. Chu 4 11.43%
Abrams 28 80.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22 2013, 10:19 PM   #16
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Re: which of the rumored directors do you want to direct

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Abrams.

Two-thirds of the race is over, he might as well carry us across the finish line.
Not only that, he created such a distinct visual style with the first two films that with anyone else it might seem like a different world.

And I don't just mean lens flares (Though say what you will, they have sort of become their own character.), the color palette, the camera angles, the distinct aliens, and other little touches he's used have really made nuTrek its own universe.

That's not to say others aren't capable, but unless another director tries to emulate Abrams's style (in which case it's not his own film) there will be a difference, and that could be distracting for some.

The only other modern examples with such distinct visual styles I can think of are LotR and TDK; imagine what the respective third films been like had Jackson/Nolan left after the second.

I think it's in Paramount's best interest to accommodate Abrams as fiscally and patiently as is necessary.
^^^ QFT
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 10:43 PM   #17
serenitytrek1
Commander

Abrams.

Two-thirds of the race is over, he might as well carry us across the finish line.
Not only that, he created such a distinct visual style with the first two films that with anyone else it might seem like a different world.

And I don't just mean lens flares (Though say what you will, they have sort of become their own character.), the color palette, the camera angles, the distinct aliens, and other little touches he's used have really made nuTrek its own universe.

That's not to say others aren't capable, but unless another director tries to emulate Abrams's style (in which case it's not his own film) there will be a difference, and that could be distracting for some.

The only other modern examples with such distinct visual styles I can think of are LotR and TDK; imagine what the respective third films been like had Jackson/Nolan left after the second.

I think it's in Paramount's best interest to accommodate Abrams as fiscally and patiently as is necessary.

Not sure of Nolan, I personally find him overrated and Peter Jackson had a few step backs with the hobbit. however these two guys would be far better than anyone on this list, should JJ choose not to direct trek 3.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 10:47 PM   #18
CorporalClegg
Admiral

What's with the non sequitur?
Old August 23 2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Konata Izumi
Commander

LotR and TDK need the very similar looks as they're more directly parts of a 3-part story. New Treks are more like the Iron Mans, they are more loosely related to each other, and could probably manage to change the look a bit more between movies just like Iron Man 3 did.

Last edited by Konata Izumi; August 23 2013 at 07:10 AM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Flake
Commodore

saddestmoon wrote: View Post
Abrams.

^^^ QFT
If its released in Nov/Dec 2016 then they need to film in July 2015 which would be too soon for JJ because he would be in the middle of worldwide promotions for SW Ep 7 and if its summer 2016 it needs to be filmed in Jan 2015 and JJ would be in post-production of SW Ep 7.

JJ is not going to direct the next Trek, but he can help with post production etc assuming he doesn't do SW Ep 8 regardless of Summer/Winter release date.

I think Kenneth Branagh will be in contention if he wants to do it because he has directed Thor and now Jack Ryan, both for Paramount and one with Chris Pine as the lead.

EDIT: Forget Branagh, hes doing a Cinderella movie in 2015!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:28 AM   #21
Control Voice
Ensign

New suggestion: James Wan
Control Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:11 AM   #22
austen_pierce
Captain

Very happy to see Abrams owning this poll. The die hard fans have spoken in near unanimous support of his reboot and the revival of the franchise. It's unfortunate in the extreme that we might not get him or that we might have to wait three to four years for a third Abrams Trek outing.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 05:44 AM   #23
Saul
Rear Admiral

Steven Spielberg.
Old September 2 2013, 07:17 PM   #24
Smellmet
Captain

2 more names: Matthew Vaughn & Bryan Singer
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 07:36 PM   #25
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I'd be okay with Singer, but I don't think he'd ever do it unless he realizes how silly his logic is.
Old September 3 2013, 04:50 PM   #26
Smellmet
Captain

^Did he say he was too much of a fan or something daft to that effect?
Old September 3 2013, 08:04 PM   #27
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Yup. He's probably worried anything he did would turn into fanwankage, but he's a talented enough artist to know where to draw the line, and Abrams can always knock him over the head if he gets too close.
Old September 3 2013, 08:18 PM   #28
Smellmet
Captain

He cannot possibly turn out a more fanwanky film than Into Darkness, surely being a fan would be a good thing, then we may not get tripe like magic blood etc (for the record I still love STID though)
Old September 3 2013, 11:56 PM   #29
pineiskirk
Ensign

jj Abrams should direct it .
pineiskirk is offline   Reply With Quote