TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 2 2013, 01:47 AM   #16
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Assignment: Earth - Is it Really a Star Trek Episode?

All I know is I love a young Teri Garr. I actually missed that episode in reruns during the 70s and only saw it when I git the DVD. It does seem more like a different show than Star Trek. Because it was basically a pilot for a different series it does feel different. But I do enjoy it.
Old September 2 2013, 01:52 AM   #17
J.T.B.
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post
All I know is I love a young Teri Garr.
Me too, and not just young.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:11 AM   #18
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Irishman wrote: View Post
should we regard this episode as a part of Star Trek canon?
Yup. If it was filmed and aired, it counts. Whether or not I like an episode or think it fits is irrelevant. They're all part of Star Trek and happened within the context of the fictional universe.
Old September 2 2013, 02:43 AM   #19
mach7
Commander

Christopher,

Thanks for filling in the blanks. Funny how time has a tendency to muddle facts.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:17 AM   #20
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

A young Teri is in two episodes of It Takes a Thief from 1969 if you can find them-- as Maggie Philbin in both "Guess Who's Coming to Rio" and "The Beautiful People", though she's billed under her given name of Terry.
Old September 2 2013, 03:58 AM   #21
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

I found it interesting that Gary quickly surmised that Kirk and Spock were from the future...seems like the aliens behind him might have some knowledge of it.
Christopher wrote: View Post
I wonder why Doohan was being held for the scenes being shot in Gary's office. Scotty was never there.
He did a lot of voice work for the show...maybe something in that vein that wasn't used?
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:11 AM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I found it interesting that Gary quickly surmised that Kirk and Spock were from the future...seems like the aliens behind him might have some knowledge of it.
Probably wouldn't be too hard for him to figure out. It was a century before humans and Vulcans had even met.
Old September 2 2013, 04:12 AM   #23
Push The Button
Captain

Me too..forget about Isis, the cat that turns into a woman for like ten seconds, Teri Garr is the best part of Assignment Earth.

Other great stuff about AE:
-Spock having to hide his ears with two different 60's era hats
-Bruce "Finnegan!" Mars, as a member of New York's Finest
-Footage of a Saturn V, though it was standing in as the booster for the orbiting H-bomb platform
-Gary Seven's futuristic Swiss-Army pen
-Roberta's voice-activated typewriter
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:36 AM   #24
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Push The Button wrote: View Post
When did Doctor Who introduce the sonic screwdriver?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:49 AM   #25
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

The opening with them watching Bonanza (and promoting another NBC show) survived into the revised draft script, though it was less blatant in that version. I wonder if it was filmed and then cut, because the aired episode does open rather abruptly. Indeed, sometimes I wonder if it was originally aired with that scene but then had to leave it out of later releases for licensing reasons. Although I think we'd have heard about it if that were the case.
I saw the episode when it was originally broadcast in March of 1968, and there was definitely no clip from Bonanza in it. That's something I would have remembered.
Old September 2 2013, 05:01 AM   #26
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I wonder why Doohan was being held for the scenes being shot in Gary's office. Scotty was never there.
He did a lot of voice work for the show...maybe something in that vein that wasn't used?
Memory Alpha shows that Doohan was uncredited as the voice of Mission Control.
Old September 2 2013, 08:38 AM   #27
CrazyMatt
Captain

I think Solow and Justman described it best when they wrote it was meant to accomplish two things: be a good Star Trek episodes and a viable pilot for a new series... and it succeeded at neither one.
Old September 2 2013, 03:03 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

It was a pretty easy deduction to make. He knew that 1968 humans hadn't met Vulcans or any other aliens, and didn't have transporter rooms either. And he was standing in a transporter room with humans and a Vulcan wearing the same uniform as each other. What other conclusion was there?

Although the later comics and novels established that Gary's organization, which they call the Aegis, does indeed travel in time and works to preserve history from those who would disrupt it (bringing back an element of the original pilot premise).

Voiceovers are recorded in post-production, or at least separately in a recording studio, not live on set. So no, that couldn't be it.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Push The Button wrote: View Post
When did Doctor Who introduce the sonic screwdriver?
In an episode that aired 13 days before "Assignment: Earth" was aired, though of course months after it was written. And the concept of Gary's servo was introduced in the original 1966 pilot concept, predating the sonic screwdriver by well over a year. Not to mention that Doctor Who wasn't seen in America until the '70s so Roddenberry could not possibly have known of the existence of the sonic screwdriver at the time anyway. And by the same token, the makers of Doctor Who in 1968 couldn't have known about "Assignment: Earth," since ST didn't begin airing in the UK until 1969. It's pure coincidence that they came up with similar gadgets around the same time -- although most of the sonic screwdriver functions that make modern fans see it as similar to Gary's servo were added years after its introduction. In 1968, it was literally just a screwdriver. It made screws turn without touching them -- that's all it did. Gary's servo was more of a spy device, a combination communicator/phaser/multipurpose tool disguised as a ballpoint pen. Nobody in 1968 would've seen the servo and the sonic screwdriver as having much in common.

scotpens wrote: View Post
The opening with them watching Bonanza (and promoting another NBC show) survived into the revised draft script, though it was less blatant in that version. I wonder if it was filmed and then cut, because the aired episode does open rather abruptly. Indeed, sometimes I wonder if it was originally aired with that scene but then had to leave it out of later releases for licensing reasons. Although I think we'd have heard about it if that were the case.
I saw the episode when it was originally broadcast in March of 1968, and there was definitely no clip from Bonanza in it. That's something I would have remembered.
Okay, thanks. Still, the teaser cuts pretty abruptly from the log entry to the "shudder," so I'm going to stick to my suspicion that the scene was filmed but cut out before broadcast.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:21 PM   #29
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote:
Voiceovers are recorded in post-production, or at least separately in a recording studio, not live on set. So no, that couldn't be it.
Perhaps he was feeding lines from off-camera. Some actors prefer getting their cues from an actor rather than a script supervisor as non-actor's delivery can sometimes be pretty flat with little to play off for the featured actor.
Old September 2 2013, 03:23 PM   #30
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

When you see something that's unusual, like humans and Vulcans working on a ship together, it doesn't immediately follow that they're from the future. He wouldn't have known that they would someday be allies, that they would someday serve on starships together, and that those ships would have transporter devices...unless he did.

To retroactively throw some ENT continuity into consideration, Vulcans were already in space in this era. He might have more logically surmised that Vulcans had covertly taken some humans from Earth or somesuch.

It doesn't necessarily mean that Gary's aliens had traveled in time, either. His whole mission was based around humans having advanced technologically faster than they had socially, IIRC. It's possible that these alien brains had projected likely courses of future human history. They may have even played a role in shaping that history through agents like Gary Seven.

It's possible that Doohan was on set to read the lines for the other actors to work around.

Regarding Gary's device and the sonic screwdriver...I think both were drawing from a common source, the Bond phenomenon. IIRC, Our Man Flint (1966) had the title character boasting of the number of covert functions that his pen could perform.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote