Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 1 2013, 03:18 PM   #31
jpv2000
Captain

Re: Picture the Novelverse - Characters, Ships and More !

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Of course it would be nice to see book covers, such as "The Eye Of The Beholder" with a TV character and a book only character.
Agreed. A few of the Titan books have done this.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:29 AM   #32
JD
Admiral

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
That's cool. Definitely more interesting than the one we got. I really got my hopes up that they would include new characters on the Titan covers fairly often after Akaar on The Red King and Ree on Orion's Hounds, but ever since then they've pretty much just stuck to the TV characters. I understand it's probably a lot cheaper to just use old photos than to hire a model for a new character, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.
I wish the books were popular enough that we could get reference books that include stuff from the novels and comics like the Star Wars ones.

Here's an idea that is really out there: maybe bookstores sell more copies when a character from TV is one the cover rather than a character who only appears in the books. Might be economics.

Of course it would be nice to see book covers, such as "The Eye Of The Beholder" with a TV character and a book only character.
Yeah, and most of the ones that have had new characters on them have also featured TV characters.
My most wanted character is Vale.
Wow, I just looked up the first SCE book, which was where she first appeared, and it came out in 2000. So she's actually been around for a longer period of time than the Enterprise characters, although she hasn't made as many appearances.
Old September 2 2013, 09:43 AM   #33
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

We see Vale on the Titan bridge in that IDW Borg comic that Braga wrote, whatever it's called. She's not mentioned bu name, but I seem to recall the artist saying (or maybe just us assuming?) that it was meant to be her.
Old September 2 2013, 11:37 AM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
We see Vale on the Titan bridge in that IDW Borg comic that Braga wrote, whatever it's called. She's not mentioned bu name, but I seem to recall the artist saying (or maybe just us assuming?) that it was meant to be her.
Yes, the blond woman below right is intended to be Vale. The SCE writers had suggested that Vale resembles novelist Heather Jarman.

USS Titan bridge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Defcon wrote: View Post
Figured especially Therin might be interested in the first cover draft for Cross Cult's version of Titan: Fallen Gods.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9318230&type=1
Mmmm, it's cool. I hadn't been in this thread, but nickyboy sent me the FB link yesterday! That female would be Pava's first [novel] cover appearance, although, of course, we've seen her in the "Starfleet Academy" comics:

Pava by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Markonian wrote: View Post
In their Timeline section of 2012, there are also depictions of Janos and M'ress in the current uniform style.
Of course, we saw Arex and M'Ress in their new uniforms and positions in IDW's "New Frontier" mini-series comic.

Mress and Arex in New Frontier comic by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

And a cameo by Janos in WildStorm's "New Frontier oneshot:

Janos by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Last edited by Therin of Andor; September 3 2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: clarification
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:07 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
That female would be Pava's first cover appearance, although, og course, we've seen here in the "Starfleet Academy" comics:
You mean her first novel cover appearance, I assume, since she was on 13 of the comic's 19 covers, plus the cover of DS9 #12 (the Telepathy War crossover issue) and the one-shot Telepathy War special that concluded the crossover, for 15 covers in all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 07:23 PM   #36
Relayer1
Commodore

I like how this thread is developing - thanks folks !

Hint - the title includes ships too !
Old September 2 2013, 09:19 PM   #37
Admiral

Although I still have yet to read Vanguard, I have read that there is mention of a "Locknar-class ship", which (unless they describe it completely differently), I've already decided is FASA's Loknar-class Frigate, which was basically a TOS Enterprise saucer and nacelles arranged like the NX-class - and pre-dating Enterprise by 30 years. He's a slightly stylized version, from the cover of the FASA Decision at Midnight booklet:
Old September 2 2013, 10:17 PM   #38
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

A gallery of the Titan crew would be very welcome, especially of the non-humanoid crew. Sometimes too much time spent describing the characters gets in the way of story telling so I appreciate it's bit of a catch 22.
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 10:36 PM   #39
Sran
Fleet Captain

Nice! But why isn't Riker putting his foot on one the consoles and thrusting his pelvis forward?

--Sran
Old September 3 2013, 05:48 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

Yes, the blond woman below right is intended to be Vale. The SCE writers had suggested that Vale resembles novelist Heather Jarman.

USS Titan bridge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Cool. I haven't read Hive (?), but I do remember seeing that image before now that you've posted it.
I just found an artist who calls himself Damon1984 on Deviant Art, who has a whole bunch of Trek Lit stuff in his gallery.
Old September 3 2013, 10:23 AM   #41
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
That female would be Pava's first cover appearance, although, of course, we've seen her in the "Starfleet Academy" comics:
You mean her first novel cover appearance
Yep. I was talking novel covers.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:11 PM   #42
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

I just found an artist who calls himself Damon1984 on Deviant Art, who has a whole bunch of Trek Lit stuff in his gallery.
Hmm... most of his character concepts are overly violent and sexualized for my taste, and distinctly un-Trek in feel. But I do like his pic of Vaughn and Ro, here.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:25 PM   #43
Admiral

After seeing those pics I've realized that I still picture M'ress in a skirt. FC uniform pants just look wrong on her hind legs. Plus, with pants she'd need a tail hole, which is all kinds of weird.
Old September 3 2013, 05:04 PM   #44
jpv2000
Captain

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Hmm... most of his character concepts are overly violent and sexualized for my taste, and distinctly un-Trek in feel. But I do like his pic of Vaughn and Ro, here.

I went through the first 10 pages and did not really like any of the pics.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:55 AM   #45
JD
Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post

I'm not a fan of his original concepts either, but I thought his Trek Lit character portraits were pretty good.