Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 2 2013, 01:32 AM   #1096
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Any bets on how long Bruce Wayne takes to figure out exactly who Clarke Kent really is? And vice versa?

Probably depends on who meets who first, right?

Bruce would recognize Clark as Superman.

Superman would recognize Batman as Bruce.

Superman and Bruce would be pretty neutral unless Bruce has seen pictures of Clark before.

And of course Clark and Batman would recognize each other.

Hoe does it usually go in the comics?
Depends. Is Batman's cowl lined with lead?
As I recall, post-Crisis Batman took the precaution of lining his cowl with lead when he met Superman and it still didn't stop Superman from figuring it out.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:41 AM   #1097
Dream
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
As I recall, post-Crisis Batman took the precaution of lining his cowl with lead when he met Superman and it still didn't stop Superman from figuring it out.
Yeah, it's not like Superman can't walk over and rip off Batman's cowl.

Last edited by Dream; September 2 2013 at 02:24 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:43 AM   #1098
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Also, lead only defeats x-ray vision. The other senses would still give Clark a lot to work from.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:00 AM   #1099
Aldo
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ The Marvel movies haven't stooped to that level, so I'm holding out hope.
Yeah, but Marvel/Disney has embraced the more hokey elements of their comic book characters. So far with WB it always seems like they try to keep the hokier elements at arms length.
Old September 2 2013, 02:22 AM   #1100
Christopher
Writer

Aldo wrote: View Post
Yeah, but Marvel/Disney has embraced the more hokey elements of their comic book characters. So far with WB it always seems like they try to keep the hokier elements at arms length.
Well, it's relative. Marvel does tend to avoid using the superhero nicknames, and tries to achieve a "grounded" feel for things and rationalize magic as alien technology. So there are some things that both franchises do to make the comics concepts more accessible to a general audience.

Also, one way in which Marvel is even less authentic than DC in its movies is the heroes' attitude toward killing. Batman and Superman at least showed some reluctance to kill most of the time, but Iron Man, Cap, and the rest are all quite lethal, unlike their comics counterparts.

And are we talking about WB as a whole or just the Nolan-produced DC films? I'd say the Green Lantern movie went pretty much whole hog with embracing the way-out and hokey ideas; if anything, its problem was that it overdid the borrowing from the source and overloaded the movie with continuity and backstory.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:32 AM   #1101
theenglish
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I would love if the movie is called World's Finest or something classy along those lines but I have a feeling we're going to get something like Batman vs. Superman or some variation of that.
I think we have a pretty good chance that this will be the title. They're not going to have to worry that people won't know what the movie is about, and the last few years have proven you don't actually need the heroes names in the title of the movie.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:35 AM   #1102
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, it's relative. Marvel does tend to avoid using the superhero nicknames, and tries to achieve a "grounded" feel for things and rationalize magic as alien technology. So there are some things that both franchises do to make the comics concepts more accessible to a general audience.

Also, one way in which Marvel is even less authentic than DC in its movies is the heroes' attitude toward killing. Batman and Superman at least showed some reluctance to kill most of the time, but Iron Man, Cap, and the rest are all quite lethal, unlike their comics counterparts.

And are we talking about WB as a whole or just the Nolan-produced DC films? I'd say the Green Lantern movie went pretty much whole hog with embracing the way-out and hokey ideas; if anything, its problem was that it overdid the borrowing from the source and overloaded the movie with continuity and backstory.
I think the tone of the movie had a lot of problems with it, but I agree with you. I think if the GL movie just had Abin Sur and maybe Sinestro, and spent its time on Earth, it would have made for a much better cinematic introduction to the hero.

Oa, the guardians and the corps could easily have been fleshed out in a sequel.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:10 AM   #1103
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

theenglish wrote: View Post
I think we have a pretty good chance that this will be the title. They're not going to have to worry that people won't know what the movie is about, and the last few years have proven you don't actually need the heroes names in the title of the movie.
I hope.

The Dark Knight as a title was a big departure, and that was WB giving Nolan a lot of faith (which eventually paid off). Of course, after that, according to speculation WB demanded that Dark Knight be included in the title for the third film - which was apparently a trade-off since WB wanted The Riddler as the villain and wanted the film to be shot/released in 3D. Nolan objectified to the 3D and wanted to use Bane instead, so then WB requested some variation of Dark Knight be used, and voila.

I don't remember who said it, but someone commented that The Dark Knight and Man of Steel have been associated with their respective characters for a long time, so it makes sense to use those titles. I'm sure WB was okay with Man of Steel as a title because it worked for Batman (which seems to be their reasoning a lot these days). World's Finest, on the other hand, doesn't scream Batman/Superman as strongly as Dark Knight does for Batman or Man of Steel does for Superman, but I also think audiences are smart enough to realize the kind of movie they are watching (especially when they see posters, trailers, etc).

Even with all of that said, I still think WB is going to end up calling this something overly direct and simple like Batman vs. Superman or Superman vs. Batman. Especially since Snyder/Goyer have been talking about these characters squaring off ever since the initial announcement. That's probably going to be the biggest appeal of this thing, besides seeing them on-screen together. Nothing says that like a title with "vs" in it (as corny as a title it would be).
Old September 2 2013, 04:51 AM   #1104
Aldo
Admiral

All this talk of WB insisting Nolan use "Dark Knight" as part of the title for his third film, I'm curious. What did he want to name it?
Old September 2 2013, 05:01 AM   #1105
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ "The Batman", I think.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 05:55 AM   #1106
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

All this talk of WB insisting Nolan use "Dark Knight" as part of the title for his third film, I'm curious. What did he want to name it?
No one knows. Nolan does talk about convincing WB not to use 3D for Dark Knight Rises, and he started talking about it ever since the title was first announced.

I can't remember where I read that stipulated WB insisted on Dark Knight being in the title, but I know Goyer talked about WB wanting Leonardo DiCaprio as The Riddler when he spoke to Empire Magazine shortly before the release of The Dark Knight Rises. I remember reading that article, and Goyer said WB wanted 3D and DiCaprio as Riddler. Nolan made it known early on he wasn't going for 3D or Riddler, and I believe that's when WB offered the compromise regarding the title.
Old September 2 2013, 04:48 PM   #1107
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Nolan shouldn't have had to make any concessions at all. He should have been like, "I just made you guys a billion dollars. Shut up."
Old September 2 2013, 05:28 PM   #1108
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Nolan shouldn't have had to make any concessions at all. He should have been like, "I just made you guys a billion dollars. Shut up."
You would think, but WB is still a conglomerate looking to make money. They've given Nolan a lot of creative freedom - to the point where he's made several films with them - but they still want to make money.
Old September 2 2013, 05:53 PM   #1109
Agent Richard07
Admiral

And part of Nolan's success is that he is willing to compromise.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:26 PM   #1110
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
I think if the GL movie just had Abin Sur and maybe Sinestro, and spent its time on Earth, it would have made for a much better cinematic introduction to the hero.
ERRONEOUS! All the Earth stuff was the reason GL was so tiresome. All the daddy issues and melodrama sucked the life out of it.

It should have done what it looks like Guardians of the Galaxy is doing and gone more cosmic and weird.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote