RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,142
Posts: 5,433,933
Members: 24,935
Currently online: 539
Newest member: Uhura's legs

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 30 2013, 05:22 PM   #316
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
TV's first interracial kiss was on Star Trek.
Or it could be Sammy Davis jr kissing Nancy Sinatra. Or any time a white actor kissed an Asian or Hispanic actor. (Lucy and Desi?) "Race" can be a nebulous term.
If you go by production order of the episodes, Plato's Stepchildren isn't even Star Trek's first interracial kiss. I believe that honor goes to Elaan of Troyius.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:24 PM   #317
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

The implication is that Trek down played violence, which it didn't. It was as violent as its contemporaries. The fight theme from "Amok Time" and Kirk fu are constantly referenced, even by non fans.
If you take a close look, wouldn't the total death count in TOS be in the hundreds of millions at least? No violence there...
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:28 PM   #318
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Nomad slaughtered 4 billion people across three planets with it's superplasma warp 15 torpedoes in a matter of hours.

And that's typical of TOS where entire systems were wiped out, billions of lives destroyed just to setup one story, and promptly forgotten about or paid little attention to throughout.

The death toll in TOS is in the 10s of billions of people, dozens of planets, several stars etc

Abramsverse, 6 billion Vulcans, a few thousand Humans at most, less than 100 ships and a Tribble. And the Tribble got better.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:29 PM   #319
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

The implication is that Trek down played violence, which it didn't. It was as violent as its contemporaries. The fight theme from "Amok Time" and Kirk fu are constantly referenced, even by non fans.
If you take a close look, wouldn't the total death count in TOS be in the hundreds of millions at least? No violence there...
Planet destroying Bugles, flying blobs and Space Amoeba's are tough customers.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:31 PM   #320
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Yeah, the "first interracial kiss" thing is largely a myth--or at the very least comes with a lot of asterisks. More like "first interracial kiss between an African-American and a Caucasian on a scripted, prime-time, American TV drama." Excluding British shows, soap operas, variety shows, etc.

Still a milestone, no doubt, but it's "historic" status has been a bit inflated over the years--and everybody tends to downplay the fact that Kirk and Uhura were being forced to kiss each other, while struggling mightily to avoid doing so!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 04:50 AM   #321
Nine of Four
Commander
 
Nine of Four's Avatar
 
Location: On a Borg Cube in the Delta Quadrant
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Responding to the threads initial question;

YES!!!
__________________
- Nine of Four
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:46 AM   #322
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

bbjeg wrote: View Post
TV's first interracial kiss was on Star Trek.
Forced kiss.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 12:10 AM   #323
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral
 
bigboojeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

^I never said it wasn't forced.
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:37 AM   #324
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
Responding to the threads initial question;

YES!!!
Also: "No."
__________________

Alan Shore: "Denny, I am amazed at your inexhaustible ability to just live. "
Denny Crane: "It's either that or die."
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 10:20 AM   #325
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^I never said it wasn't forced.
I didn't claim you did. But it's an important distinction.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:28 PM   #326
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral
 
Kirk the Jerk's Avatar
 
Location: Nottingham
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Wow, totally shocked at the amount of people saying they don't care or that the prime line is dead...

I'm all for going back personally, rather than sitting through another Into Darkness, which basically used the same story and just switched characters when it came to 'Who dies of radiation poisoning' and piled in a load of CGI explosions etc.

Star Trek for me is about a story, not just constantly blowing things up and shouting. For me at the moment Star Trek is dead because I can't see what they can do other than keep rehashing old story lines and switching what happens to who. If we want new story's etc. we have to explore very late 24th century early 25th. Going forward is the best possible way to 'revive' trek. What Abrams has done 'could' have worked but Into Darkness killed it for me. I couldn't believe what I was watching. This is best example of someone who doesn't care for Star Trek, he just wanted another action movie. The writing was LAZY as hell. Shit I think my 3 year old son could have come up with something better.

This is also a reason I'm buying TNG on blu ray and re watching DS9 because I love the prime verse and certainly would have it back in a heart beat given the chance.
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:36 PM   #327
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post

Star Trek for me is about a story, not just constantly blowing things up and shouting. For me at the moment Star Trek is dead because I can't see what they can do other than keep rehashing old story lines and switching what happens to who. If we want new story's etc. we have to explore very late 24th century early 25th. Going forward is the best possible way to 'revive' trek. What Abrams has done 'could' have worked but Into Darkness killed it for me. I couldn't believe what I was watching. This is best example of someone who doesn't care for Star Trek, he just wanted another action movie. The writing was LAZY as hell. Shit I think my 3 year old son could have come up with something better.
Well said. I've mentioned a few times Into Darkness for me was Abrams cherry picking plot elements from across the franchise, changing them to suit, putting it all in a blender and boom, you have a "new" movie. Even though there wasn't anything in it we hadn't already seen before. Somehow I expect his third movie will be like this too. If you're going to go out of your way to invent a clean slate universe, do something original with it!
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:16 AM   #328
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral
 
Kirk the Jerk's Avatar
 
Location: Nottingham
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post

Star Trek for me is about a story, not just constantly blowing things up and shouting. For me at the moment Star Trek is dead because I can't see what they can do other than keep rehashing old story lines and switching what happens to who. If we want new story's etc. we have to explore very late 24th century early 25th. Going forward is the best possible way to 'revive' trek. What Abrams has done 'could' have worked but Into Darkness killed it for me. I couldn't believe what I was watching. This is best example of someone who doesn't care for Star Trek, he just wanted another action movie. The writing was LAZY as hell. Shit I think my 3 year old son could have come up with something better.
Well said. I've mentioned a few times Into Darkness for me was Abrams cherry picking plot elements from across the franchise, changing them to suit, putting it all in a blender and boom, you have a "new" movie. Even though there wasn't anything in it we hadn't already seen before. Somehow I expect his third movie will be like this too. If you're going to go out of your way to invent a clean slate universe, do something original with it!

Hear, hear! I'm almost certain his third movie will just be a rehash too. Let's just say I'm not really looking forward to seeing it, and it pains me to say that about Star Trek.

Geez, I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan, but I can see him destroying that franchise too... But, maybe it'll work because he actually 'cares' for Star Wars...

Last edited by Kirk the Jerk; September 2 2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Babbling on...
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:55 AM   #329
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Star Trek has been rehashing plots since season one of TOS. TMP was a rehash of "The Changeling". TWOK brought back a villain from TOS. TVH was a time travel story reminiscent of at least three TOS episodes. TNG and show that followed mixed and matched TOS characters. The Next Generation films desperately tried to duplicate the success of TWOK and TVH.

There was a kot of story in both of Abrams films. If someone can't see the story through the "explosions" I think the problem might lie with them.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:39 AM   #330
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral
 
bigboojeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

^That just makes STiD a rehash of a rehash. That's a bad direction for Star Trek IMO.

A poll for this thread would be interesting. Is it too soon for a "Do fans want the prime timeline back? 2" thread?

Though make sure you have a yes, a no, and multiple other choices ("give it a chance" or "I don't know").
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
prime trek

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.