New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 30 2013, 05:22 PM   #316
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
TV's first interracial kiss was on Star Trek.
Or it could be Sammy Davis jr kissing Nancy Sinatra. Or any time a white actor kissed an Asian or Hispanic actor. (Lucy and Desi?) "Race" can be a nebulous term.
If you go by production order of the episodes, Plato's Stepchildren isn't even Star Trek's first interracial kiss. I believe that honor goes to Elaan of Troyius.
Old August 30 2013, 05:24 PM   #317
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The implication is that Trek down played violence, which it didn't. It was as violent as its contemporaries. The fight theme from "Amok Time" and Kirk fu are constantly referenced, even by non fans.
If you take a close look, wouldn't the total death count in TOS be in the hundreds of millions at least? No violence there...
Old August 30 2013, 05:28 PM   #318
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Nomad slaughtered 4 billion people across three planets with it's superplasma warp 15 torpedoes in a matter of hours.

And that's typical of TOS where entire systems were wiped out, billions of lives destroyed just to setup one story, and promptly forgotten about or paid little attention to throughout.

The death toll in TOS is in the 10s of billions of people, dozens of planets, several stars etc

Abramsverse, 6 billion Vulcans, a few thousand Humans at most, less than 100 ships and a Tribble. And the Tribble got better.
Old August 30 2013, 05:29 PM   #319
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

The implication is that Trek down played violence, which it didn't. It was as violent as its contemporaries. The fight theme from "Amok Time" and Kirk fu are constantly referenced, even by non fans.
If you take a close look, wouldn't the total death count in TOS be in the hundreds of millions at least? No violence there...
Planet destroying Bugles, flying blobs and Space Amoeba's are tough customers.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:31 PM   #320
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the "first interracial kiss" thing is largely a myth--or at the very least comes with a lot of asterisks. More like "first interracial kiss between an African-American and a Caucasian on a scripted, prime-time, American TV drama." Excluding British shows, soap operas, variety shows, etc.

Still a milestone, no doubt, but it's "historic" status has been a bit inflated over the years--and everybody tends to downplay the fact that Kirk and Uhura were being forced to kiss each other, while struggling mightily to avoid doing so!
Old August 31 2013, 04:50 AM   #321
Nine of Four
Commander

Responding to the threads initial question;

YES!!!
Old August 31 2013, 10:46 AM   #322
Belz...
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
TV's first interracial kiss was on Star Trek.
Forced kiss.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 12:10 AM   #323
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^I never said it wasn't forced.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:37 AM   #324
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
Responding to the threads initial question;

YES!!!
Also: "No."
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 10:20 AM   #325
Belz...
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^I never said it wasn't forced.
I didn't claim you did. But it's an important distinction.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:28 PM   #326
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

Wow, totally shocked at the amount of people saying they don't care or that the prime line is dead...

I'm all for going back personally, rather than sitting through another Into Darkness, which basically used the same story and just switched characters when it came to 'Who dies of radiation poisoning' and piled in a load of CGI explosions etc.

Star Trek for me is about a story, not just constantly blowing things up and shouting. For me at the moment Star Trek is dead because I can't see what they can do other than keep rehashing old story lines and switching what happens to who. If we want new story's etc. we have to explore very late 24th century early 25th. Going forward is the best possible way to 'revive' trek. What Abrams has done 'could' have worked but Into Darkness killed it for me. I couldn't believe what I was watching. This is best example of someone who doesn't care for Star Trek, he just wanted another action movie. The writing was LAZY as hell. Shit I think my 3 year old son could have come up with something better.

This is also a reason I'm buying TNG on blu ray and re watching DS9 because I love the prime verse and certainly would have it back in a heart beat given the chance.
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:36 PM   #327
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post

Star Trek for me is about a story, not just constantly blowing things up and shouting. For me at the moment Star Trek is dead because I can't see what they can do other than keep rehashing old story lines and switching what happens to who. If we want new story's etc. we have to explore very late 24th century early 25th. Going forward is the best possible way to 'revive' trek. What Abrams has done 'could' have worked but Into Darkness killed it for me. I couldn't believe what I was watching. This is best example of someone who doesn't care for Star Trek, he just wanted another action movie. The writing was LAZY as hell. Shit I think my 3 year old son could have come up with something better.
Well said. I've mentioned a few times Into Darkness for me was Abrams cherry picking plot elements from across the franchise, changing them to suit, putting it all in a blender and boom, you have a "new" movie. Even though there wasn't anything in it we hadn't already seen before. Somehow I expect his third movie will be like this too. If you're going to go out of your way to invent a clean slate universe, do something original with it!
Old September 2 2013, 12:16 AM   #328
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post

Well said. I've mentioned a few times Into Darkness for me was Abrams cherry picking plot elements from across the franchise, changing them to suit, putting it all in a blender and boom, you have a "new" movie. Even though there wasn't anything in it we hadn't already seen before. Somehow I expect his third movie will be like this too. If you're going to go out of your way to invent a clean slate universe, do something original with it!

Hear, hear! I'm almost certain his third movie will just be a rehash too. Let's just say I'm not really looking forward to seeing it, and it pains me to say that about Star Trek.

Geez, I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan, but I can see him destroying that franchise too... But, maybe it'll work because he actually 'cares' for Star Wars...

Last edited by Kirk the Jerk; September 2 2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Babbling on...
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:55 AM   #329
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek has been rehashing plots since season one of TOS. TMP was a rehash of "The Changeling". TWOK brought back a villain from TOS. TVH was a time travel story reminiscent of at least three TOS episodes. TNG and show that followed mixed and matched TOS characters. The Next Generation films desperately tried to duplicate the success of TWOK and TVH.

There was a kot of story in both of Abrams films. If someone can't see the story through the "explosions" I think the problem might lie with them.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:39 AM   #330
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^That just makes STiD a rehash of a rehash. That's a bad direction for Star Trek IMO.

A poll for this thread would be interesting. Is it too soon for a "Do fans want the prime timeline back? 2" thread?

Though make sure you have a yes, a no, and multiple other choices ("give it a chance" or "I don't know").
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote