IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 30 2013, 11:28 PM   #16
Captain Rob
Commodore

Re: The Cage bridge.

I wonder what the Enterprise-E bridge would look like with a light gray/dark gray/ black/ silver color scheme? And with redesigned graphics?
Old August 31 2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral

"The Cage" bridge is very nice and if you were doing a show like TOS today then that's the aesthetic you probably go with. But that's also because the times have changed. Today we have televisions that give incredible picture colour and all sorts of nuanced colour. But back in the '60s there were other considerations at work. Most televisions in the home at the time were b&w even while networks and manufacturers were pushing to sell more expensive colour sets. And so on the point the studios were influenced to make their shows more colourful to justify the purchase of a colour TV.

It's not the same thing today, of course, but I do find it amusing that many today seem to prefer more vivid colour on their TV picture rather than more natural and realistic tones. So you get more intense colours such as grass that is rarely (if ever) that green and skies and oceans that are never that shade of blue and the like across the board. My parents are like this and I'm sure they're hardly alone. It's isn't horrible, mind you, but if you think about it the picture is an idealized form of realism rather than actually looking more natural and realistic.
Old August 31 2013, 07:11 PM   #18
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

As a filmmaker myself I see why they changed the colors, notably that the railings virtually disappear when black. You just don't see them.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Warped9
Admiral

As a safety consideration the red on the railings and the console edges make sense.
Old August 31 2013, 08:16 PM   #20
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Warped9 wrote: View Post
As a safety consideration the red on the railings and the console edges make sense.
Well, as a safety concern, the railings are an accident waiting to happen. Until you're actually standing next to it, you don't really get a sense of how insecure they make you feel. If you are "down below," they're great. But if you're on the upper level, you notice that they catch you right at about knee level. They feel more like tripping devices than safety features. UFP OSHA would have a field day.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
marksound
Fleet Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Well, as a safety concern, the railings are an accident waiting to happen. Until you're actually standing next to it, you don't really get a sense of how insecure they make you feel. If you are "down below," they're great. But if you're on the upper level, you notice that they catch you right at about knee level. They feel more like tripping devices than safety features. UFP OSHA would have a field day.
Well, they probably have mandatory safety force fields to keep people from tripping over the railings.

Unless the script says otherwise.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 05:13 PM   #22
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
They feel more like tripping devices than safety features.
Neither. They're actually catapults.
Old September 1 2013, 05:16 PM   #23
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

"The Cage" bridge is very nice and if you were doing a show like TOS today then that's the aesthetic you probably go with.
And is almost exactly the aesthetic they went with in the movies; IMO, the TMP bridge and even the TUC redesign show a direct lineage from The Cage primarily.
Old September 1 2013, 06:13 PM   #24
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the Cage bridge does have a very Forbidden Planet, "classic 50s scifi" feel to it that I really like. Especially with all the black and silver, and with those goose-necked viewers everywhere.

It was probably a little too subdued for the Trek that came later though, so I can see why they wanted to "liven it up" a bit more.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 10:54 PM   #25
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Eliminating the goose-neck displays, in retrospect, was probably a mistake. While I am approaching this from a 21st century POV, the helm, navigation, and captain's chair really need some kind of graphic display available to them to make certain they're doing what they think they are when they manipulate their controls. This may not have been a consideration in early computing, but we know better now. At least Sulu did eventually get that tactical display to help with his steering and fire control.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:55 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
Eliminating the goose-neck displays, in retrospect, was probably a mistake. While I am approaching this from a 21st century POV, the helm, navigation, and captain's chair really need some kind of graphic display available to them to make certain they're doing what they think they are when they manipulate their controls.
But that's what the beeps and boops were for -- auditory feedback. And the patterns of the status lights would've given feedback about the state of the device.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:37 AM   #27
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I suspect the main reason they got rid of those viewers was because it would cut back on the number of optical effects needed for the little TV screens.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:43 AM   #28
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

They might have had a tendency to get in the way when trying to frame an actor's face too. And if those goosenecks were actually adjustable, there could have been continuity errors between scene takes.
Old September 2 2013, 11:10 PM   #29
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Attach the display directly to the console and the continuity problem goes away. Simple back-lit graphics could be easily assumed to be tactical displays and what-not by unassuming audiences. But once again, I'm approaching this from a 21st century perspective. The auditory feedback was probably what they were going for, even though we know now that that only works for letting one know one has indeed hit the control, sometimes too often. (bawp instead of beep)
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 11:50 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

^There could conceivably be multiple different tones denoting different responses/states.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote