Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 30 2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Green Shirt
Commodore

Re: That added touch of detail...

McCoy talking to Kirk onscreen from sickbay in Dagger of the Mind. Filmed at such an angle so it looked like he was looking down at Kirk. It was an interesting change from the usual straight ahead viewscreen conversation.
Old September 1 2013, 10:28 PM   #17
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Hence, Scotty's phaser is seen cutting into the bulkhead with an invisible beam. Unfortunately in later reissues of the episode on video they have since put a visible beam back into the scene.
Sure about that? It's not there on my bluray version of the episode unless you play the episode with the enhanced FX.

Here's a chance to show appreciation for all those bits of added detail that added to the texture and overall fabric of TOS.
The added detail of HD has greatly added to my appreciation of what the team behind the show was able to do back in the 60s on a TV budget.

The one specific thing that pops into my mind is the pulsating vein on the Talosian's head. When I was a kid I thought that was awesome and slightly disturbing.
Old September 1 2013, 10:58 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Sure about that? It's not there on my bluray version of the episode unless you play the episode with the enhanced FX.
Yup. No beam when played with the original effects.
Old September 2 2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Although I never really thought about it before this thread, I like how they showed what the crew does in their spare time, especially during the first season. For example, Sulu being a hobby botanist, Uhura singing, the use of the gym and the rec room(s) and so on. That added a touch of realism IMO, since these people live on the Enterprise, they don´t just work there.
Exactly! At the very beginning we saw crew members out of their uniforms in "The Cage", "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (Briefing Lounge scene) and "The Corbomite Maneuver" (Kirk).

Then, the idea got somehow sidetracked but made a return in Season 3 with a female crew member taking a sunbath - unfortunately and exclusively in the deleted Rec Room Scene from "Elaan of Troyius".

And another thing, already mentioned, is the use of invisible beams outside the visual spectrum.

I think the engineering trident device is a nice testament to that: Scotty used it apparently in "The Doomsday Machine" to repair the Constellation's impulse engines and in "The Ultimate Computer" it was used to establish the power link between the ship's power banks and the M-5.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 11:16 AM   #20
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

In "Is There in Truth No Beauty" there were lots of interesting camera angles and fish eye effects to denote insanity?

In "Corbomite Maneuver" why didn't thay ever add Balok's voice for the one minute countdown. I keep watching the episode hoping the voice over will appear in some version.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Metryq
Captain

I preferred the invisible phaser beam in the original, ungraffitied "Naked Time." My off-topic comment, however, is why didn't Scotty simply cut through the door itself at higher power -- considering the urgency of the situation? In "The Enemy Within" the shuttlecraft is not mentioned, as it had not been introduced yet; "Naked Time" did not mention the intra-ship beaming used in "Day of the Dove."
Old September 2 2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Warped9
Admiral

Given the high pressure atmosphere these people worked in it's easy to see how things could be overlooked.
Old September 2 2013, 02:48 PM   #23
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The door could have been a phaser-resistant bulkhead.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 09:20 PM   #24
Timo
Admiral

Apparently, you have never tried to crack a safe, Metryq. The right way to proceed is not to cut a man-sized hole in the door; this will take forever. The right way is to cut a tiny hole where the lock mechanism is, because this will take very little time, and then use that hole to open the door.

This regardless of whether the door is harder than the wall or vice versa. It's a simple matter of logistics: cutting open the lock requires you to cut thirty centimeters of bulkhead, while cutting an entrance requires you to cut three meters of bulkhead! The writers got that exactly right.

In any case, many episodes in TOS and spinoffs testify to the phaser-resisting abilities of standard bulkheads: there are many phaser misses that fail to do harm to the walls.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 10:10 PM   #25
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

Metryq wrote: View Post
"Naked Time" did not mention the intra-ship beaming used in "Day of the Dove."
I seem to recall them commenting on the intra-ship beaming being "impossible" in DotD and that it was something the alien presence did?

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 10:39 PM   #26
Timo
Admiral

The alien did a lot of things to technology that our heroes either found odd or then did not, without rhyme or reason, and supposedly because the alien was clouding their thinking. Among the former was the changing of modern weapons to swords and making the bulkheads impenetrable to cutting tools - the heroes considered this very mysterious. Among the latter was the original dropping of the isolation bulkheads and the locking of the ship to her amok course - the heroes simply assumed the Klingons did that somehow, even though such an assumption was irrational and probably wouldn't have occurred to them without the influence of the alien.

But as for intra-ship beaming, this is the dialogue on the issue, long after the alien influence had turned everybody into idiots:

Kirk: "We can't get through the Klingon defences in time, unless... Spock! Intra-ship beaming from one section to another. It's possible?"
Spock: "It has rarely been done because of the danger involved. Pinpoint accuracy is required. If the transportee should materialise inside a solid object, a deck or wall-"
Scotty: "Even if it could work, she may be leading you into a trap!"
Kirk: "We're all in a trap. This is the only way out."
Spock says it's possible and has been done; Kirk knows about it, even if only vaguely. It's clearly a desperation move, and in normal circumstances Kirk would probably much rather cut through walls. But the walls don't allow for cutting this time, and Kirk isn't normal himself: the alien presses its victims to take deadly risks, as it loves the resulting excitement and carnage.

Basically, we could rather easily argue that intra-ship beaming never was a very viable option in "Naked Time", and a dozen other things would have been tried before it, and were.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 11:47 PM   #27
jpv2000
Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Apparently, you have never tried to crack a safe, Metryq.
So, we have a safe cracker among us. Good to know.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:44 AM   #28
CrazyMatt
Commander

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
I always loved the background noises of the TOS bridge.

When I heard them in the end of Star Trek IV, in that split second I brightened up and thought, "I'm home" then Kirk said, "My friends, we've come home" and made it perfect.
Oddly enough, when we see the bridges of the Exeter and Lexington, the background noises are more reminiscent of the Enterprise in the second pilot.
Old September 3 2013, 08:45 AM   #29
CrazyMatt
Commander

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
Apparently, you have never tried to crack a safe, Metryq.
So, we have a safe cracker among us. Good to know.