RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 518
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 1 2013, 06:04 PM   #1
adellone92
Cadet

Continuity in star trek?

Hi, ive recently took a liking to star trek, tried to watch TOS but lost interest due to no continuity atleast not in the first season! so, i was wondering if there is any series with continuity between the episodes? Thanks.
adellone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Continuity in star trek?

DS9 and Enterprise seasons three and four are the most continuity heavy.
Old September 1 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Just bear in mind TOS is almost 50 years old it was made in another era, where continiuity wasn't as important. And besides first seasons of shows even today can be a bit hit and miss with continuity and they establish the universe/characters/settings etc..
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:09 PM   #4
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

TNG and Voyager had some recurring characters and stories but were still very much episodic shows. Enterprise was the same for the first two seasons but the 3rd season had a serialised story arc and the 4th season had a several mini arcs lasting for 2 or 3 episodes each. DS9 is really the only series with continuity running throughout the series especially once the Dominion was introduced at the end of season 2.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Green Shirt
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Just bear in mind TOS is almost 50 years old it was made in another era, where continiuity wasn't as important.
Right. I'd be hard pressed to come up with more than 2 examples where a specific event in an episode was ever referenced again. One was the two times Kirk used the Corbomite bluff. A better example is when Kirk suggested Spock use the mind meld trick to convince the Kelvans they had escaped, since it worked against the Eminians.
Old September 1 2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

There's also a touch of continuity in "Turnabout Intruder", when Kirk tries to convince Spock that his mind is in Janice Lester's body.
Old September 1 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

adellone92 wrote: View Post
Hi, ive recently took a liking to star trek, tried to watch TOS but lost interest due to no continuity atleast not in the first season! so, i was wondering if there is any series with continuity between the episodes? Thanks.
I see what you're saying...you're looking for serialized continuity, and I like that too. But if you stopped watching one of the best seasons in all of Trek because it didn't have enough continuity, the tail might be wagging your dog, IMHO....

Even DS9 is pretty much episodic for the first couple seasons, but gets more serialized as the series progresses. If really only goes full-serial for specific arcs though, including the last several episodes of the final season.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Pavonis
Commodore

No continuity? I think TOS season one has at least as much continuity as real life. How much continuity are you seeking? Endless references to previous episodes? Lots of multi-episode plot arcs?

If you can't get through season one of TOS, you're not going to enjoy Trek. If you want lots and lots of continuity, Deep Space 9 is your best bet, but even then the continuity-heavy episodes are towards the end of the series. The early episodes of DS9 are at least as continuity-light as anything in TOS season one.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 08:24 PM   #9
adellone92
Cadet

Thanks for all your replies, i was hoping TNG would have some continuity. But guess ill stick to TOS for now and move up the trek ladder slowly!
adellone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 09:37 PM   #10
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all your replies, i was hoping TNG would have some continuity. But guess ill stick to TOS for now and move up the trek ladder slowly!
TNG does have continuity but it's the kind of thing that pops up a few times per season when dealing with recurring characters and stories.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 10:02 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
If you can't get through season one of TOS, you're not going to enjoy Trek.
It's rather arrogant to say that if they don't like season one of TOS, they're not going to enjoy Trek. There are tons of better seasons throughout the franchise out there in my opinion. It's really inappropriate to come out with a personal opinion as factual statement, especially when you're all but deterring a person away from the franchise as a whole.

Anyways... to adellone's OP...

Frankly there's not that much continuity or story arcs at all in TOS. It's just what it is. A smattering of relatively unconnected episodes, with the same cast, providing 45 minutes of sci-fi fun. If you're looking for some continuity with the TOS crew, I'd suggest watching movies 2-6.

Beyond that TNG is a slight improvement. While the main premise of the show is the Enterprise flying off to the random sci-fi encounter of the week, the characterization and growth is stronger and there are a number of mini-arcs that span the seven years.

DS9 is your best bet for continuity and great story arcs. Though that really doesn't pick up until season 3. The characters, both main and reoccurring guest stars, are great all featuring excellent development and growth and for the most part the there is a story to the whole show beyond just exploring the unknown. It's easily my favorite.

Voyager, beyond the theme of being lost in space trying to get home, really is just the random encounter of the week again, though there are some mini-arcs through the series. The characterization is there, and the characters do change, even if they're inconsistent at times. Overall the series is pretty good though.

Enterprise, well the first half is just them flying through space for the most part, quite often rehashing things the previous series had done. The second half gets some rather intense story arcs one of them lasting pretty much a whole season. The characters are probably the weakest of the franchise though.

Again, just my opinions adellone, if it helps you find a starting point. Feel free to watch and form your own. If you're looking to jump into the franchise with TOS, I'd recommend starting with the movies as I said earlier. It'll give you a chance to get to know the crew without the random episodic format as movies 2-6 are pretty much one continuous arc, each picking up after the last. Hope that helps.
Old September 1 2013, 11:07 PM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Deep Space Nine gets serialized from the third season onwards. Enterprise's third season is one epic 26-part mission. Other than those, they're pretty much all standalone stories, with a few sequels and prequels here and there.

You might get a kick out of the videos in my sig, showing many of Trek's continuity errors over the past 45 years.
Old September 1 2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Pavonis
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
It's rather arrogant to say that if they don't like season one of TOS, they're not going to enjoy Trek. There are tons of better seasons throughout the franchise out there in my opinion. It's really inappropriate to come out with a personal opinion as factual statement, especially when you're all but deterring a person away from the franchise as a whole.
Better than TOS Season 1? Which seasons would those be?

Besides, why should we coddle adellone? Not everyone newly exposed to Trek will like it, and we shouldn't pretend that they will. I wouldn't recommend continuing if they don't like the season that started the franchise! That's like hating math but wanting to be a high-energy particle physicist.

Besides, very little of Trek is continuity-rich, beyond the continuity of characters. If that is what the OP is seeking, I'm not going to lie and say it has what they're looking for when it doesn't, just to retain a new potential fan. Where's the honesty in that?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:28 PM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Better than TOS Season 1? Which seasons would those be?

Besides, why should we coddle adellone? Not everyone newly exposed to Trek will like it, and we shouldn't pretend that they will. I wouldn't recommend continuing if they don't like the season that started the franchise! That's like hating math but wanting to be a high-energy particle physicist.

Besides, very little of Trek is continuity-rich, beyond the continuity of characters. If that is what the OP is seeking, I'm not going to lie and say it has what they're looking for when it doesn't, just to retain a new potential fan. Where's the honesty in that?
Better than TOS season 1? Read the rest of my prior post if you want my opinions on that. Not everyone is going to share your opinion. To me TOS was the foundation that bigger and better things were built upon. If you don't agree, that's great but you don't dictate what everyone else enjoys.

There's a rather large difference between coddling and just forcing your opinions as fact about the franchise as a whole. There's hundreds of hours of material. Not everyone is going to like the same parts and sometimes it's helpful to guide people towards the parts they might enjoy more. Even if they're not the same as yours. Really it's attitudes like yours that will run off new people. I'd hope that's not your goal.
Old September 1 2013, 11:33 PM   #15
jpv2000
Captain

If you're looking to jump into the franchise with TOS, I'd recommend starting with the movies as I said earlier. It'll give you a chance to get to know the crew without the random episodic format as movies 2-6 are pretty much one continuous arc, each picking up after the last. Hope that helps.
Agreed. TOS movies 2-6 also contain a few of the best Trek movies ever, in my humble opinion. But, I would recommend watching the TOS episodes first. There are some real gems in there.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote