RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 455
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 31 2013, 09:55 PM   #61
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Would Nemesis Have Fared Better?

I'm one of the few people wh actually liked the movie but I do think it'd been a better movie with the deleted scenes added in. Now that doesn't mean it'd the movie would've done better in the theaters, just that it would've been a better movie.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 02:27 AM   #62
austen_pierce
Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
I'm one of the few people wh actually liked the movie but I do think it'd been a better movie with the deleted scenes added in. Now that doesn't mean it'd the movie would've done better in the theaters, just that it would've been a better movie.
Not sure they could have kept the original Troi-Riker-Reman scene and remained at PG-13 instead of going to R. The deleted scene presents it as much more of a mental rape.

BUT

It's the last movie. Why not go with an R rating? They were obviously making 'TNG Into Darkness' (for that I beg forgiveness). Why not go the whole nine yards?
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 04:14 AM   #63
DWF
Vice Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Not sure they could have kept the original Troi-Riker-Reman scene and remained at PG-13 instead of going to R. The deleted scene presents it as much more of a mental rape.

BUT

It's the last movie. Why not go with an R rating? They were obviously making 'TNG Into Darkness' (for that I beg forgiveness). Why not go the whole nine yards?
I doubt if adding that scene would've gotten the movie an "R" rating. And if it had a respectable box office showing it wouldn't have been the lst TNG either for that matter.
Old September 1 2013, 05:10 PM   #64
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Yes it would. The studio didn't really want any more, hell they barely wanted this one. The actors were all calling it day. Berman had to fight for Nemesis. There was a reason it was written the way it was. It was the end of TNG. If it had done well we'd may have got a Voyager or cross-crew film, but full-on TNG was done.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 08:37 PM   #65
austen_pierce
Captain

NightJim wrote: View Post
Yes it would. The studio didn't really want any more, hell they barely wanted this one. The actors were all calling it day. Berman had to fight for Nemesis. There was a reason it was written the way it was. It was the end of TNG. If it had done well we'd may have got a Voyager or cross-crew film, but full-on TNG was done.
Yes. Remember that this film was billed as "A Generation's Final Journey". It was the end of TNG before opening day. There was a good DS9 book about the end of the universe (red Bajoran orbs), which would have made a decent feature film. I've forgotten the title (EDIT: "Millennium").

Last edited by austen_pierce; September 2 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old September 1 2013, 08:59 PM   #66
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Yes it would. The studio didn't really want any more, hell they barely wanted this one.
Of there had been any real antisipation of additional TNG movies, the script never would have depicted Riker getting his own command.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 09:54 PM   #67
DWF
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Yes it would. The studio didn't really want any more, hell they barely wanted this one.
Of there had been any real antisipation of additional TNG movies, the script never would have depicted Riker getting his own command.

Sulu also had his own command in the sixth movie and they were able to write him into the movie.
Old September 2 2013, 05:18 AM   #68
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

They already had to come up with a contrived reason to bring Worf back onto the ship for each movie, having to "get the band back together" for each subsequent movie would have made no sense.

Old September 2 2013, 06:10 AM   #69
Beyerstein
Captain

I think they underestimated going against Jennifer Lopez. This was at the height of her popularity and right when Jenny from the Block was all over radio.
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 10:02 AM   #70
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Exactly. Though I always figured giving Riker the Titan was Berman hedging his bets. "Stewart and Spiner might say they're done, but I bet I can get Frakes and Sirtis back". It would also allow a mostly new crew, a direction the studio had wanted to go in.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:29 PM   #71
austen_pierce
Captain

Exactly. Though I always figured giving Riker the Titan was Berman hedging his bets. "Stewart and Spiner might say they're done, but I bet I can get Frakes and Sirtis back". It would also allow a mostly new crew, a direction the studio had wanted to go in.
Sounds like Generations all over again, using familiar faces to launch new ones on the big screen. I suspect the odd numbered movie curse would have returned with a 'vengeance' (couldn't resist!)
Old September 2 2013, 05:17 PM   #72
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Though I always figured giving Riker the Titan was Berman hedging his bets. "Stewart and Spiner might say they're done, but I bet I can get Frakes and Sirtis back". It would also allow a mostly new crew, a direction the studio had wanted to go in.
With Stewart and Spiner absent that would have nicely reduced the cost of a follow on movie. If they had been willing to do a lower budget Star Trek (about 25 million) it could have been made to work, even after Nemesis.

Old September 3 2013, 02:41 AM   #73
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Though I always figured giving Riker the Titan was Berman hedging his bets. "Stewart and Spiner might say they're done, but I bet I can get Frakes and Sirtis back".
``Heck,'' said Berman, ``they're sitting in my waiting room right now reading their spec scripts to each other.''

(The sad thing is they were reading these to each other in Berman's office last month.)
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 06:10 PM   #74
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nebusj wrote: View Post

(The sad thing is they were reading these to each other in Berman's office last month.)
I didn't think Berman gave his home address out? There's no way he still has an office at Paramount!
Old September 3 2013, 08:25 PM   #75
jpv2000
Captain

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
I didn't hate Nemesis, but I've always thought it would have been so much better and more dramatic (and more believable) if Patrick Stewart played Shinzon. Was that ever considered?
Agree.
I think the guy who played Shinzon did a good job with what was there. But, I agree it would have been much better with Stewart playing the part.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote