Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old September 1 2013, 01:20 PM   #61
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
All I want to know is what/which retailer's version has the most additional features. I am willing to pay more for additional features but its not clear what is the best version.
We're getting that breakdown put together for TrekCore now.
Old September 1 2013, 02:11 PM   #62
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PopBoy

I only like the bonus material on disney movies/or the alien films (basically because of the deleted scenes). Actually - i only ever invest in Blu-ray's if its got tons of Deleted scenes.
Old September 1 2013, 03:10 PM   #63
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I guess I'm in the minority. I liked the film. And I've been a fan since I was approximately 6 years old. I've bought my fair share of Trek products, including DVDs.

That being said, I'm not buying Into Darkness - especially until we get an explanation for this Blu Ray mess, presumably from Bad Robot. I have my limits on my fandom, and they're reached it with this.
Old September 1 2013, 03:31 PM   #64
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Caretaker wrote: View Post
That being said, I'm not buying Into Darkness - especially until we get an explanation for this Blu Ray mess, presumably from Bad Robot. I have my limits on my fandom, and they're reached it with this.
Why are you assuming this is a Bad Robot decision?
Old September 1 2013, 03:39 PM   #65
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
There are reports out that make Bad Robot at least partly responsible besides Paramount. And we can, of course, believe everything we read on the internet.

What I know is that there is no defintitive or "best" Blu-ray available and that I would be hugely disappointed (and offended as a fan) no matter which edition I bought. So I'm not buying any until there is one available that won't disappoint me (i.e., all the extras). This will be the first Star Trek production for which I will easily choose to not own a Laserdisc, DVD or Blu-ray. For the first time, I simply don't care to own a copy. I think that speaks for itself.
Old September 1 2013, 05:29 PM   #66
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
There are reports out that make Bad Robot at least partly responsible besides Paramount.
Are there? I've seen vague allusions to rumors of such reports, but has there been anything concrete upon which us regular folks might cast an eyeball?

And we can, of course, believe everything we read on the internet.
Well... naturally, yeah.
Old September 1 2013, 05:55 PM   #67
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
There are reports out that make Bad Robot at least partly responsible besides Paramount.
Are there? I've seen vague allusions to rumors of such reports, but has there been anything concrete upon which us regular folks might cast an eyeball?
We've got a lengthy quote from a confidential inside source at the bottom of our TrekCore STID review.
Old September 1 2013, 06:02 PM   #68
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I really don't care. I've been dealing with retail exclusives for a decade now as have everybody else here.

Buy the one you want or don't but this is done because the retailers are willing to pay big dollars for exclusive versions. If anyone wants to cry to someone, cry to them.
Old September 1 2013, 06:23 PM   #69
M'Sharak

Aatrek wrote: View Post

We've got a lengthy quote from a confidential inside source at the bottom of our TrekCore STID review.
Which would be this?
From a source I spoke to familiar with the situation (who requested that we not publish their name):
"Bad Robot had 100% control [over the VAM production], it was all produced in-house, which is new - and they delivered the content to Paramount, who had basically no say.

It's possible - and this is speculation - that the Bad Robot content was delivered late; because account-specific features typically have a later deadline than the Blu-ray, it could have been thrown to different SKUs. That's a 'nice' way of looking at it.

The other possibility is that those retail outlets paid for the extra content. Could Bad Robot have sought out those exclusive deals? Possibly... for sure, this is not JUST Paramount's doing. Nothing happened with that Blu-ray that wasn't discussed and approved by Bad Robot, even if Paramount drove the decisions.

My point is, I think it's fair to say that Bad Robot was involved in the split VAM decision, and it's naive to think otherwise - because at Paramount, it's JJ's world. If anyone is disappointed in the Blu-ray, criticize the responsible parties - not only the 'faceless' studio."
Bottom line: The old joke about Trek releases becoming "double dip" purchases is once again being told with Star Trek Into Darkness - but this time, it's no laughing matter.
(bold emphasis mine)

While this "inside source" may be familiar with the situation and may indeed be making an honest assessment based upon extensive experience in that area of the industry, there still seems to be a certain amount of "possible" and "speculation" to the above. Firmer than rumor, perhaps, but neither is it quite concrete.
Old September 1 2013, 09:15 PM   #70
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

I was about to point out the plethoric plethora of TrekCore posts promising reviews and details every other post, but it looks like TrekCore beat me to it.

Has anyone noticed that STID looks a lot like STD? What a terrible acronym. Almost as bad as SyFy (syphilis).
Old September 1 2013, 11:04 PM   #71
M'Sharak

Has anyone noticed that STID looks a lot like STD?
Lots of people, going back pretty much to the time the title was first announced. Some seemed to be greatly amused by the similarity.
Old September 2 2013, 01:17 AM   #72
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

PopBoy wrote: View Post
I only like the bonus material on disney movies/or the alien films (basically because of the deleted scenes). Actually - i only ever invest in Blu-ray's if its got tons of Deleted scenes.
Actually I found the commentary from "Alien" to be very interesting. If you are a fan, you ought to give it a go. Its one of the few add-ons that I've watched and enjoyed.
Old September 2 2013, 01:58 AM   #73
Dream
Admiral

Has anyone noticed that STID looks a lot like STD?
Lots of people, going back pretty much to the time the title was first announced. Some seemed to be greatly amused by the similarity.
It's not funny anymore about being pointed out a million times.
Old September 2 2013, 02:43 AM   #74
austen_pierce
Captain

All I want to know is what/which retailer's version has the most additional features. I am willing to pay more for additional features but its not clear what is the best version.
Link please? Right now I'm eyeballing the Target version. I'd like to be better informed though before buying.
Old September 2 2013, 03:23 AM   #75
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Link please? Right now I'm eyeballing the Target version. I'd like to be better informed though before buying.
I don't see how it matters. None is the best. Whichever one I would buy, I would be disappointed. So I'm not buying.
Closed Thread