Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Revelation and Dust.
Outstanding 29 25.66%
Above Average 45 39.82%
Average 26 23.01%
Below Average 7 6.19%
Poor 6 5.31%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31 2013, 11:02 PM   #91
Mage
Commodore

Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Most votes going to Outstanding, yet most people replying seem to have to say something negative. How come??
Old September 1 2013, 12:03 AM   #92
jpv2000
Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
Most votes going to Outstanding, yet most people replying seem to have to say something negative. How come??
Many outstanding books and movies have some negative points to them. And many, if not most, seem to highlight the negative even in something they like.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 01:26 AM   #93
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
We've seen inside Asarem's head before; she has been a POV character, which means we, as the audience, know what's in her soul. She doesn't have it in her for something like this.
And I would've said Sisko didn't have it in him to abandon his family. Well, we all know what happened there...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 01:41 AM   #94
JD
Admiral

Let's not open that can of worms again, please.
Old September 1 2013, 08:16 AM   #95
RPJOB
Commander

Sci wrote: View Post
RPJOB wrote: View Post
Bacco seems to have collected on the bad karma she's been collecting since she turned a blind eye to the coup by Picard and the others and the murder of Min Zife. I, for one, am glad to see that payback.
So she deserved to die? Christ, man. No one deserves that. And the Federation certainly didn't deserve the trauma of seeing its president assassinated.
Apparently you have no problem with the Federation President being secretly removed from office by the military and then later assassinated, as long as the people don't find out about it.

Did she deserve to die? Not necessarily. Did David Marcus deserve to die? Perhaps not but the writers of TSFS felt that someone had to pay the price for him using protomatter. That's what it came down to when they were deciding if it would be David or Saavik, If you break the rules then there is a price to be paid. Perhaps not by you but it should affect you.

Bacco knew that something had happened to Min Ziff and "convinced" Ross to retire because of it. Pretty sweet deal for overthrowing the leader of the free galaxy and turning him over to people that you knew would have no qualms about making him disappear. Bacco's only President because her predecessor was illegally removed from office and she did nothing about it.

I would have preferred to see the entire cabal, including Bacco, brought to trial but for various reasons the authors have decided not to do it that way. The price still had to be paid and she paid with her life.
Old September 1 2013, 08:41 AM   #96
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

This must be a strange concept, but some people don't like everything when it comes to stories so just because they may really love it, there will still be things they don't like?

For example, I really liked Into Darkness, but the first night I saw it, I walked out and said to my fiancÚ that it won't hold up to scrutiny, which to be fair, it doesn't, but it also doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the film.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 09:24 AM   #97
Mage
Commodore

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
This must be a strange concept, but some people don't like everything when it comes to stories so just because they may really love it, there will still be things they don't like?

For example, I really liked Into Darkness, but the first night I saw it, I walked out and said to my fiancÚ that it won't hold up to scrutiny, which to be fair, it doesn't, but it also doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the film.

Not strange at all. Ofcourse there were also parts I enjoyed less, or thought odd, or just didn't make sense. However, it seems that even though a lot of people seemed to have enjoyed it, only the negative things are mentioned. I asume they voted outstanding for several reasons. As did I.
Old September 1 2013, 05:32 PM   #98
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

I finished the book today. I liked the "present day parts" more, but the Kira parts weren't too bad; though it did start out slowly. I guess I would say above average for my vote overall.

I have a question about the Prophets: both onscreen and in the novels we have seen that they are powerful. They can manipulate the destinies of various people (Sisko and his mother) and can protect Bajorans as needed.

How powerful are they? Similar to Q but not as powerful?

I'm just curious; my guess is that the writers keep it somewhat vague on purpose. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited by Chi'pok; September 1 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: clarify
Chi'pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 05:51 PM   #99
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

You can still vote and NOT have read the book. It seems quite illogical that one would not speak up about a book they found outstanding. I'm sure there are those who DID read it and found it outstanding. But it would be nice to know their reasons. But it's okay, just shows the difference between a poster and a lurker.

I just wish someone would explain how the Defiant got mixed up with the Robinson in the prologue and how it got past the writer and editor. Please. Anyone?
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 05:57 PM   #100
JWolf
Commodore

delete post

Last edited by JWolf; September 1 2013 at 06:10 PM.
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 06:00 PM   #101
JWolf
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Halliwell wrote: View Post
Son of a bitch. That's the worst spoiler to know. Now the book is ruined.
Of course, you're in a REVIEW thread, which also says SPOILERS! in the title, so not sure what you were expecting, but that's kinda it. If you blew past the warnings, can't do much else to help. Very obviously enter at your own risk when you venture into spoiler threads for books or movies you haven't read/watched yet...
Past threads on NEW Trek Books has shown us that most spoilers are in a spoiler code. Nobody has posted something so heinous like that out in the open even thought he thread topic says there are spoilers.
Old September 1 2013, 06:06 PM   #102
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

^ I really, really, really hope you're just trolling and not as fucking stupid in real life as you act around here all the time.

First your eBook (but only ePubs!!!) crusade, now your overzealousness concerning spoilers.

In case you haven't noticed: you're in a thread marked as a spoiler thread, so no spoiler tags are needed. But facts like that shouldn't stand in the way of you making an ass out of yourself, right?

(P.S. to the mods: I know this is an infraction-worthy post, but this fucking piece of shit is really getting on my nerves, and I guess it's time for my first infraction after 10+ years.)
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 06:18 PM   #103
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

JWolf wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Halliwell wrote: View Post
Son of a bitch. That's the worst spoiler to know. Now the book is ruined.
Of course, you're in a REVIEW thread, which also says SPOILERS! in the title, so not sure what you were expecting, but that's kinda it. If you blew past the warnings, can't do much else to help. Very obviously enter at your own risk when you venture into spoiler threads for books or movies you haven't read/watched yet...
Past threads on NEW Trek Books has shown us that most spoilers are in a spoiler code. Nobody has posted something so heinous like that out in the open even thought he thread topic says there are spoilers.
As heinous as being someone who pirates ebooks and then hangs around the forum berate people about slightly more minor things - talk about glasshouses and stones...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 06:41 PM   #104
Sran
Fleet Captain

JWolf wrote: View Post
Use common sense. The best thing to do if you're concerned about book spoilers is avoid any threads that might contain them until you've had a chance to read the book in question. It would be nice if everyone remembered to use the tags. But people are human and make mistakes. It's up to you to have enough will power not to look at a thread that might give away information about a novel you want to read. If you aren't able to do that, you've no one to blame but yourself.

--Sran
Old September 1 2013, 08:09 PM   #105
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

From my comment on DRG's Facebook page...

Mr. George,

I have just finished your latest novel only a couple of hours ago. I wished to share my thoughts with you.

First of all thank you for making explicit statements regarding time (Saying that this event happened six months ago or that event happened two years ago.) as it made it easier for me to have a sense of the flow of events since the Destiny trilogy. All too often the novels are written in such a way as to make it feel like everything happened just a few days ago.

Second of all, you clearly understand both DS9 and it's fans very well. We like to be challenged, we like stories that deal honestly with the complexities of life. We don't like the trite or the obvious. In many ways this novel feels like the true re-relaunch of DS9 with the Dark Sisko (my nickname because of where things start for him) trilogy serving as a series of movies bridging the gap between the first relaunch and this.

Thirdly, you actually managed to surprise me at the end. Not an easy task. I am eager to know what happens next both in The Fall storyline and also with DS9 in particular.

I also felt that you largely captured the character voices rather nicely. There were a couple of moments with President Bacco that didn't quite hit my "ear" right but I chalk some of that up to her being in unusual circumstances and perhaps even slightly nervous (it's when she's talking to Odo and she seems kind of "fake" in her way of speaking but I can imagine that if I was faced with Odo and that glare of his I'd sound a bit out of character too). Over all though everyone sounds spot on. And thank you for not over doing the um uh's from Rom. Some things as I'm sure you know when spoken are bearable and when read become horribly tedious. You put in enough to give the sense of how Mr. Grodenchik portrayed him but not so much that the Jar Jar effect took hold.

A couple of questions. "Sector General". That really came out of left field and kind of bugged me, but thanks to my Kindle I did a quick search and found out about a series of novels set in a space hospital. Am I correct in believing that you are paying homage to that?

Also in the (for want of a better term) reception area, is the Jack mentioned the same one from the two Augment episodes wherein Sarina Douglas was introduced and explored?

Alright enough of my rambling. Good work. I'll be looking forward to your next novel and your next DS9 offering.

Peace
And
Long
Life
As for the revelation about a central event... Look if you care that much if spoilers bother you that much than they do, but frankly some of you carry on to a degree that I personally find a little ridiculous. It would be like finding out that if you follow a certain road at the end is San Francisco and proclaiming that the whole trip is now ruined.

The most extreme example in my opinion are people over in Wholand who got pissed off because people didn't spoiler code the HUGE FUCKING PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT about who will be playing the next Doctor. Bottom line if you are really that spoiler adverse I'd advise pretty much staying the fuck off the internet because spoilers not only live here but they breed with a rapidity rivaled only by Tribbles.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote