Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 30 2013, 07:43 AM   #31
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Nintendo 2DS.

2DS
Width:
14.4 cm (5.7 in)
Height: 12.7 cm (5.0 in)
Depth: 2.03 cm (0.80 in)

3DS
Width:
13.4 cm (5.3 in)
Height: 7.4 cm (2.9 in)
Depth: 2.2 cm (0.87 in)

Gameboy
Width
3.5"
Height 5.8"
Depth 1.3"
Old August 30 2013, 08:41 AM   #32
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

I can totally get the idea because some people don't like the 3D. I think different versions of consoles are always cool, especially for collecting down the road. However this is hands down without a doubt in my mind the least attractive piece of mobile hardware Ive ever seen. It looks like a cheap Chinese knock off. I'm completely flabbergasted. Id pay $40 more just to use the 3DS in 2D mode and not see this.
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 06:04 PM   #33
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Some leaked info on Nintendos 1Ds which will be released in 2015

LOL

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 06:57 PM   #34
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Was expecting a One Direction poster.
Old August 31 2013, 11:29 PM   #35
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'm not an expert on backwards compatibility or how feasible this would be, but I'd be interested in a converter that's inserted in like a Action Replay that could make 3DS games playable on the original DS without the 3d, like this 2ds boasts. That would get me buying a couple extra games anyways.
Old September 1 2013, 06:12 AM   #36
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Not feasible at all. The 3DS has more memory, a fast CPU, higher resolution screens, better graphics chip and different OS. Basically it would cost more for the add on than a 3DS because you'd have to fit all the same technology in to a smaller space and make it compatible with the older device.
Old September 1 2013, 09:47 AM   #37
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

So... basically we can all finally admit that the 3d was a gimmick and pretty useless on the console?
Old September 1 2013, 07:41 PM   #38
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Given that everyone stopped using the 3D function after a week, that time has come and gone already. Nintendo has only now given people an alternative.

That said, a basic model that just plays the games without all the bells and whistles, no waste on the 3D should appeal to people who want a nice basic console.

They could just have made a better effort on it's appearance.
Old September 1 2013, 08:16 PM   #39
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The original Gameboy was a bit smaller than a (closed) 3DS.
I think you're confusing the Game Boy and the Game Boy Pocket.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:07 AM   #40
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
I'm not an expert on backwards compatibility or how feasible this would be, but I'd be interested in a converter that's inserted in like a Action Replay that could make 3DS games playable on the original DS without the 3d, like this 2ds boasts. That would get me buying a couple extra games anyways.
The 3DS isn't just a 3D version of the DS. It's an entirely new system a generation ahead of the DS technologically. What you're suggesting is like attaching a Blu-ray drive to a Sega Genesis to play PS3 games.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:35 AM   #41
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ I think this is one of the problems Nintendo has. By interchangably using the terms 'DS' and 'Wii' for different systems, they've inadvertently confused consumers who mistake them all for being variations of the one system, rather than being brand new ones.

It wasn't such an issue with the Gameboy brand, but I actually know people ('casuals', shall we say) who still think WiiU is some sort of upgraded Wii, rather than a new console. At least there was a clear delineation between the NES/Super NES/Nintendo 64/Nintendo Gamecube/Nintendo Wii.

This 2DS is just muddying the waters even further. How many people are going to think, "If the 3DS is a DS with a 3D screen, then a 2DS is just a DS, right?".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:44 AM   #42
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
^ I think this is one of the problems Nintendo has. By interchangably using the terms 'DS' and 'Wii' for different systems, they've inadvertently confused consumers who mistake them all for being variations of the one system, rather than being brand new ones.

It wasn't such an issue with the Gameboy brand, but I actually know people ('casuals', shall we say) who still think WiiU is some sort of upgraded Wii, rather than a new console. At least there was a clear delineation between the NES/Super NES/Nintendo 64/Nintendo Gamecube/Nintendo Wii.
I guess I'm not really seeing how NES/Super NES or Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance are magically any more informative than DS/3DS or Wii/Wii U. They're all throwing prefixes/suffixes on to delineate the difference. Is it just because the prefixes/suffixes are shorter now?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:03 AM   #43
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
I guess I'm not really seeing how NES/Super NES or Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance are magically any more informative than DS/3DS or Wii/Wii U. They're all throwing prefixes/suffixes on to delineate the difference. Is it just because the prefixes/suffixes are shorter now?
It has to do with the prefixes/suffices meaning something on those other systems. Super and Advance both imply an upgraded, superior version of the original system. What does a U imply?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:22 AM   #44
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
It has to do with the prefixes/suffices meaning something on those other systems. Super and Advance both imply an upgraded, superior version of the original system. What does a U imply?
But that's silly I mean you can't say 2 and 3 or 360 and One denote upgrades, because there was Master System 2 and 3 and Mega Drive 2 and 3 and they were basically the "slim" of their generations. And 360, as far as I know, would denote full circle and One would mean "We have no clue how naming schemes work".
Old September 2 2013, 01:56 PM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
But that's silly I mean you can't say 2 and 3 or 360 and One denote upgrades, because there was Master System 2 and 3 and Mega Drive 2 and 3 and they were basically the "slim" of their generations. And 360, as far as I know, would denote full circle and One would mean "We have no clue how naming schemes work".
Well, with the XBOX, that's the device that has had a long-anticipated arrival. Nintendo seems to have all sorts of different consoles and handhelds available right now, and maybe it's just me, but they don't seem to enter the market with as much excitement or anticipation as some other systems.

People know that XBOX One is the next generation of XBOX because, well, there hasn't been a new XBOX in nearly 8 years!

I'm not saying Nintendo's naming system is incomprehensible, but to someone who doesn't follow it that closely, it would be a little confusing if I wanted to invest in a Nintendo system.