Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 29 2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Nine of Four
Commander

Re: Any mixed feelings about the transporter?

Push The Button wrote: View Post
It would have made "The Enemy Within" about a two-minute long episode, though.
Hahahahaha Tru dat!!!
Old August 29 2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Admittedly, for an enhanced "Hornblower Effect" regular shuttle departures and arrivals would have added a maritime touch to the show, and had they constructed the scripts to have the shuttle's travel time match a commercial break / slot events would have occurred in real time.

But from a practical point of view you would have just seen people entering or exiting a prop (shuttlecraft) with no funky special effects involved. I'm afraid that would have rather gotten stale over extended periods of time.

The transporter room was a unique trademark of Star Trek and I think audiences quickly got the feel that once our protagonists embarked the transport chamber they were going somewhere (in real time).
On the bright side the shuttlebay scenes became a special and rare event to be appreciated.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:56 AM   #18
darth_ender
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree it was too convenient, except when they had to come up with some silly reason why it wasn't so they could make the plot work. What probably bugged me most was the transporter room. Why even have it? You don't have to either start or end there? Why not just beam from wherever you are to wherever you are going?
darth_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral

In TOS, you absolutely had to be there for at least one end of the trip. We see this in "Cloud Minders": Kirk's crew kidnaps Plasus from his dwellings and moves him to the Troglyte mines, but the hapless High Advisor had to be briefly materialized on the transporter platform in between.

Probably in TNG, the ability to beam "site-to-site" still stretches the resources of the transporter somewhat, and 90% of beamings benefit from the use of the platforms.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 04:13 PM   #20
jpv2000
Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
In TOS, you absolutely had to be there for at least one end of the trip. We see this in "Cloud Minders": Kirk's crew kidnaps Plasus from his dwellings and moves him to the Troglyte mines, but the hapless High Advisor had to be briefly materialized on the transporter platform in between.
True.

Probably in TNG, the ability to beam "site-to-site" still stretches the resources of the transporter somewhat, and 90% of beamings benefit from the use of the platforms.
This is the most likely explanation. I always thought it was cool when they used the site to site transport.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 04:27 PM   #21
Nine of Four
Commander

I try not to watch TNG with my father anymore, because every time they use sit-to-site beaming, he goes on a huge rant on why they even need transporter rooms, and I can't hear what's going on in the episode.....
Old September 1 2013, 04:11 AM   #22
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

I wish they'd left it out of ENT entirely, but the transporter was just fine as used on TOS.

And with hiking gear, hovercycles or a tank division, if mobility were needed and the mothership had to depart.
The Enterprise carried tank divisions...?
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 04:49 AM   #23
Grant
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I wish they'd left it out of ENT entirely, but the transporter was just fine as used on TOS.

And with hiking gear, hovercycles or a tank division, if mobility were needed and the mothership had to depart.
Well not a full division--closer to a tank battalion.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 02:15 PM   #24
jpv2000
Captain

Grant wrote: View Post

Well not a full division--closer to a tank battalion.
I did not know that, but I missed a lot of the Enterprise series.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 03:22 PM   #25
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

^I thought we were talking TOS, and I think Timo was pulling tank divisions out of his...stern section.
Old September 1 2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Timo
Admiral

Well, if need be, this ~200-vehicle formation could probably be accommodated aboard Kirk's ship, at least provided her holds were as ample as later shown in ST:TMP:

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/ima...ision-camp.jpg

Although probably a future armored formation would be much smaller in terms of the number of vehicles and personnel.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:41 PM   #27
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

^I think you might be overestimating the size of those holds, though maybe if they had some kind of rack system for stacking them vertically.

But my point is that I don't think we've ever seen anything regarding Federation starships being used as armored cavalry carriers...we don't even know that such war machines are typically employed by starfaring races in Trek. It's all a bit out of left field.
Old September 2 2013, 03:32 AM   #28
austen_pierce
Captain

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
I try not to watch TNG with my father anymore, because every time they use sit-to-site beaming, he goes on a huge rant on why they even need transporter rooms, and I can't hear what's going on in the episode.....
Sounds like a good time!

Transporters among other things, make Trek unique.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:49 AM   #29
Grant
Fleet Captain

I certainly wasn't suggesting eliminating the transporter as a plot device.

I was suggesting alternating times when it and the shuttle would be used.

Use the transporter to beam into the tunnels of Janus VI and the tunnels of Exo III and when covertly entering into Vanna's cell in "Cloud..." and when beaming to a pre-warp culture and not wanting to have a 24 foot piece of evidence for the natives to find.....

But use the shuttle more often when doing a survey of an uncharted vacant planet or when you might have to leave the crew behind or when you want the landing party to have a base with a lot of supplies.

Or course you could beam down supplies, but this is drama and having shuttle base of operations breaks the pattern of every episode just having 3-5 people in t-shirts and phasers bean down to explore a world.

The transporter was so ubiquitous it seemed more safe than an elevator ride and more common than the cool tech is should have been.

By the end of the series they didn't even show the big 3 on the bridge discussing the mission they just had a Kirk V.O. and them beaming down. That's okay for some situations but sometimes the set-up/trip is in itself a chance for interesting drama.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:53 AM   #30
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

^I thought we were talking TOS, and I think Timo was pulling tank divisions out of his...stern section.
Also known as, aft torpedo bay.