Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 31 2013, 02:31 AM   #76
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

davejames wrote: View Post
Unfortunately instead of paying those storylines off, the writers have decided to go in some... completely other direction. With a bunch of new characters and storylines we couldn't care less about.
There's something terribly familiar about that direction a series can take... I'm sure there are countless others but the one that immediately came to my mind was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_%28TV_series%29

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 01:56 PM   #77
stj
Rear Admiral

I look in this thread from time to time just to see if people are catching on to just how godawful Dexter has become since it lost its way in season four. I haven't seen any of this season but you all must realize on some level that inventing Charlotte Rampling as Mom makes it necessary to address the issue of the real mother.

Omitting her is grossly incompetent. It's not just an issue of plot plausibility, which hasn't even been a goal since season three. It's a question of dramatic honesty. Any human being, offered the discovery of a spiritual mother, would think of their real mother.

I tend to believe that the show's fundamental problem is that they opted for a "hurray, the vigilante!" approach. But this is stupid and vicious and there's no way to put this on screen with any vestige of competence, much less honesty.
Old August 31 2013, 05:23 PM   #78
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

stj wrote: View Post
I look in this thread from time to time just to see if people are catching on to just how godawful Dexter has become since it lost its way in season four. I haven't seen any of this season but you all must realize on some level that inventing Charlotte Rampling as Mom makes it necessary to address the issue of the real mother.

Omitting her is grossly incompetent. It's not just an issue of plot plausibility, which hasn't even been a goal since season three. It's a question of dramatic honesty. Any human being, offered the discovery of a spiritual mother, would think of their real mother.

I tend to believe that the show's fundamental problem is that they opted for a "hurray, the vigilante!" approach. But this is stupid and vicious and there's no way to put this on screen with any vestige of competence, much less honesty.
If you haven't seen ANY of this season, then your criticism of this season comes from...? Other people's reviews? Online synopsis? Osmosis?

I'm sorry but your severely negative response to this season (based on pure speculation, it seems) is baseless and unjustified, in my opinion.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 08:11 PM   #79
stj
Rear Admiral

I'm sorry I didn't make myself watch even more Dexter after being more and more disappointed by seasons three, four, five and six. Obviously I wasn't giving the show a chance. Plainly I have no right to think (much less say) Dexter has gone rancid.

Still, after enjoying the first two seasons so much there's some residual interest in how the story ends. I was always interested in why Mrs. Morgan let Harry monopolize Dexter, and why she neglected Deborah. What do Dexter and Deb think of Mom? What do they say about her as they work through the issues of how they got to where they are? And why aren't you people commenting at all on this?
Old September 1 2013, 01:27 AM   #80
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well from what we've seen the mother was pretty much a complete innocent in all this. It was Harry who appeared to shape the futures of Dexter and Deb the most, either through his law enforcement career or through the "code" that he taught Dexter.

In any case, I can't say I have much interest in exploring Dexter's past anymore anyway. By this point, the story should have been focused much more on whatever future he might have, and with his big showdown with the police. That's what we've all been looking forward to the last few years.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:29 AM   #81
billcosby
Commodore

I look in this thread from time to time just to see if people are catching on to just how godawful Dexter has become since it lost its way in season four.
In season four or since season four?

The Lithgow Trinity killer was the highlight of the series, IMHO. Although perhaps I remember it poorly, was Rita unusually, over-the-top annoying in that season? Oh well, it all worked out in the end. I thought Lithgow was a fascinating foil for Dex. Can't say that the seasons since then have been incredibly satisfying.

I guess if you never "bought" that Litgow was the monster he was, it wouldn't have worked. For me, he well surpassed whatever remaining typecast ideas I had about him being from either 3rd Rock or Harry and the Hendersons. I thought Lithgow channeled some complex performances out of The Trinity Killer. If I ever rewatch Dexter it'll be seasons 1-2 and 4. That's it.

davejames wrote: View Post
In any case, I can't say I have much interest in exploring Dexter's past anymore anyway. By this point, the story should have been focused much more on whatever future he might have, and with his big showdown with the police. That's what we've all been looking forward to the last few years.
Great point. The past is always being endlessly drawn up and reviewed in detail. I hope for Dex's sake his "mind father" evaporates when the series ends. Jesus Christ, who would want their own father's ghost following them around forever, giving them continuous advice during your day? We never see the mundane aspects of it, when Papa Morgan berates Dex for not flossing enough or undercooking his dinner.

Last edited by billcosby; September 2 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old September 1 2013, 10:16 AM   #82
tighr
Commodore

Season 3 was terrible, season 4 was amazing, and it has been downhill ever since. Dexter has gotten increasingly lazy as the series progressed.
Old September 1 2013, 10:37 AM   #83
billcosby
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
Season 3 was terrible, season 4 was amazing, and it has been downhill ever since. Dexter has gotten increasingly lazy as the series progressed.
Do you mean the character Dexter Morgan, or the series as a whole?
I don't know what the word I'm searching for to describe season 8 is but... maybe that's it. 'Lazy.' There's something really meandering about this show now, like it's wandering off somewhere. Maybe that's how it ends. Dexter disappears and no one knows where he is!

Old September 1 2013, 05:58 PM   #84
davejames
Vice Admiral

In retrospect I think Season 3 actually looks like one of the stronger ones now. It wasn't up to the level of 1, 2 and 4 obviously, but Jimmy Smits' Miguel Prado still made for a fairly dangerous and unpredictable threat, and the storyline (with Dexter inadvertently becoming a friend and mentor to this shady DA whose brother he killed) at least flowed well and built up naturally to a conclusion.

Unlike the later seasons which just seemed to wander around aimlessly with not much purpose, and which felt like they had just been slapped together at the last minute.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 06:39 PM   #85
Harvey
Admiral

I was always interested in why Mrs. Morgan let Harry monopolize Dexter, and why she neglected Deborah. What do Dexter and Deb think of Mom? What do they say about her as they work through the issues of how they got to where they are? And why aren't you people commenting at all on this?
Doris Morgan has been pretty much a non-entity since the beginning of the series (the fact that I had to look up her first name says a lot). We know she died of cancer when Deb was sixteen, but since Dexter is ten years older than his sister, Doris must have been a part of his early adult life. It's sort of surprising, in retrospect, that the show didn't explore Dexter's relationship with his adopted mom a bit more.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:43 AM   #86
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Wait, what? Dexter is 10 years older? I seem to remember a flashback of them being kids together or a picture of them as teenagers or something like that.

edit: yeah, definitely not a 10 year age difference. There are numerous flashbacks to them as kids that show them only a few years apart.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:58 AM   #87
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Dexter was 35 at the start of the series and Deb was 27.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:15 AM   #88
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The flashbacks to them as kids are pretty compelling evidence otherwise.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old September 2 2013, 05:10 AM   #89
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

That's nice. It doesn't change the fact that those are their actual ages on the show, though.

Dexter's exact birthday was stated as February 1st, 1971, and Debra's birthday was revealed to be December 7th, 1979 in a computer database when Dexter was testing a blood sample.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:10 AM   #90
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

As the scenes of them as children are far less likely to have been mistakes, I'll stick with that over a shot of a computer database.