Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 29 2013, 06:38 PM   #241
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

How do we know he was actually competent in that surgery? Yes, she said she couldn't tell a good smell from one that is foul, but I suspect Zoidberg "crossed the wires" metaphorically speaking. No, not intentionally, but as per his usual confusion about human anatomy, he linked the nerves to the wrong centers of her brain. It was just a happy accident his blunder resulted in a beneficial result (for both of them since she genuinely seemed to like him).

As for not dropping dead after, ahem, "spawning", I too thought about that. Maybe because she is NOT Zoidberg's species, she doesn't trigger certain hormones in John's body that would normally result in his death upon, er, "satisfaction".

One can choice to see it as contradicting earlier material, but I've opted to consider it as yet another level of "world building". Besides, I rather like Zoidberg and the poor schlubb deserves a break before the series ends.

Yeah, I'm full of crap. I might as well take a laxative.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 07:27 PM   #242
Christopher
Writer

Redfern wrote: View Post
How do we know he was actually competent in that surgery?
She survived, and lost no body parts she wasn't supposed to lose. That in itself is a step up from Zoidberg's usual competence with humans.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 10:41 PM   #243
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Maybe. Let's see if she shows up alive next week.

Well, it was a fair episode. Bender tap dancing on the chest of a dead little girl was certainly quite a sight. I did like the ambiguous ending.
Old August 30 2013, 01:43 AM   #244
JD
Admiral

I thought it was an ok episodes. I thought both stories had some good moments, but they weren't anything amazing.
I also finally saw last weeks, and that one was great. Even after the comments on here I was still surprised that they actually ended it the way they did.
Old August 30 2013, 03:25 AM   #245
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm surprised Zoidberg still had the girl at the end of the episode. Kudos.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 01:21 PM   #246
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm surprised Zoidberg still had the girl at the end of the episode. Kudos.
That was our first thought: Are they really going to allow Zoidberg to get the girl? To be happy?

I hope they do. He deserves a happy ending, that poor bastard.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 02:14 AM   #247
JD
Admiral

Yeah. I'm really hoping we'll get some kind of a (probably silent) appearance from Marianne in the finale, just so we know Zoidberg will really get the happy ending this week's episode implied.
Old August 31 2013, 02:18 AM   #248
Christopher
Writer

By the way, I'd been assuming that Tonya was Kath Soucie, who's been a recurring player on Futurama for years (playing Cubert among others), but it turns out to have been the Futurama debut of the redoubtable Tara Strong. I thought it sounded like her, but I've mistaken Soucie for her before so I assumed it was Soucie.

Old September 1 2013, 12:41 AM   #249
JD
Admiral

Wow, I'm amazed it took 7 year for her to pop up on Futurama.
Old September 1 2013, 12:48 AM   #250
Christopher
Writer

Well, 7 seasons, but 14 years.

Old September 1 2013, 12:56 AM   #251
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, 7 seasons, but 14 years.
Right, I forgot to include the cancellation gap.
I just looked her up onIMDB and it turns out she hasn't done The Simpsons either, and that is even more surprising.
She's also done two different version of Barbara Gordon now, the one in The New Batman Adventures and it's spinoffs and now Beware the Batman.
Old September 1 2013, 01:59 AM   #252
Christopher
Writer

^Actually Strong has done three versions of Barbara Gordon, since she's also Batgirl in the Super Best Friends Forever shorts.

It's not too surprising that the Groening shows haven't used a lot of the big voiceover names today, since they tend to stick with their established ensembles except when they bring in celebrity guests. I mean, as far as I know, neither show has used Grey DeLisle, Jennifer Hale, Yuri Lowenthal, Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, Greg Cipes, or the like, and Futurama has never used Kevin Michael Richardson, although he has done The Simpsons 11 times in the past 4 years.

Sometimes there are shows or studios that don't use the voice actors ubiquitous everywhere else. For instance, Frank Welker did virtually everything in the '70s and '80s, but he never worked on Filmation shows except for a few years c. 1980.

Old September 1 2013, 10:28 PM   #253
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I can't tell if the girl being named Tonya is clever or a bit too on the nose (pun, for this episode, intended).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 09:32 AM   #254
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

That had to be intentional. That whole thing cracked me up. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't get it these days, though.
Old September 2 2013, 12:56 PM   #255
Mr Light
Admiral

I don't get it?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote