RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,679
Members: 24,204
Currently online: 881
Newest member: Bashir Trikona

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 19 2013, 03:19 AM   #16
Dream
Admiral

Re: 2013 Emmy Nominations Announced

Emilia Clarke talks in depth about her Emmy nomination
Old July 19 2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

How the hell is The Big Bang Theory even considered? Especially over Parks and Rec? What mad world have I awoken in?
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:55 PM   #18
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Big Bang Theory tells predictable one-off jokes to a laugh track about pop culture nerd stereotypes.

Parks and Recreation focuses on modern original character development and insightful political satire.

Of course Big Bang Theory gets more recognition.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:35 AM   #19
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I was also surprised to see Emilia Clarke on there. She's okay in the part but nothing close to a stand out. I find the character to be interesting but that's down to the writing and pretty much nothing to do with Clarke.
Old July 20 2013, 03:16 AM   #20
Third Nacelle
Captain

I'm rooting for 30 Rock (R.I.P. ) for comedy, and Mad Men or House of Cards for drama.

I'm a Downton Abbey fan as well, but it's really just a trashy soap opera masquerading as a sophisticated drama.

I don't think it's such a great idea to split up cable and broadcast into separate categories. The big networks just need to step up their game.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 03:42 AM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
How the hell is The Big Bang Theory even considered? Especially over Parks and Rec? What mad world have I awoken in?
The same one you fell asleep in, it's been nominated before.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 03:53 AM   #22
drmidnite66
Rear Admiral

LeadHead wrote: View Post
Meh, haven't thought the Emmy nominations have had it together in years. They need to really break up the Outstanding Drama/Comedy/Actor/Actress categories into Broadcast/Basic Cable & Premium Channels/Netflix.

So many great shows and performers never get the respect they deserve because the Emmys are waaaaaaay behind the modern times.

People always ask me, why I don't watch it anymore. If I don't care who wins because I don't care about the nominees, why waste the time?
Didn't cable television have their own awards at one point ? Lets bring back the CableACE Awards ! I hope Jon Hamm finally wins - his acting this season wouldn't be what I consider the best he's done on "Mad Men" but his conference room speech on the last episode this season was bravura... I hope Robert Morse wins too ... He always gives nuanced performances with what little he gets to do...
Old July 21 2013, 05:13 PM   #23
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Aw, I was just about to say this is my favorite comedy and I hope it wins. Or Modern Family, I love that show as well.

Honestly I think that there are a lot of great comedies out there right now, particularly on broadcast networks. They've been really crappy for the past decade or so, but since 2010 I think the pool has improved dramatically.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:38 PM   #24
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

The fact that they completely ignored Hannibal, with neither Hugh Dancy nor Mads Mikkelsen getting a nomination, is enough to make these nominations a complete joke.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 11:26 PM   #25
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

The Emmy noms have been a joke for years, but sadly like a lot of the nominees for outstanding comedy, they're not funny.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 02:46 PM   #26
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
The fact that they completely ignored Hannibal, with neither Hugh Dancy nor Mads Mikkelsen getting a nomination, is enough to make these nominations a complete joke.
The acting on the show is fine, but it's just so boring...
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 03:43 PM   #27
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

This is the problem with the "THESE names are why it's a joke!" comments.

It's so personal, and most people (not saying you) don't even watch all of the shows that are nominated to give an true opinion. It's usually just people saying "I watch this show, why isn't it up there?"

Except for a few questionable decisions, I have to mostly agree with what's been nominated.

We all have our personal favourites, but that's not what this is about. Otherwise Tony Todd would have gotten many more best guest actor awards!
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 08:08 PM   #28
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

I think it's not so much that it's personal to individuals, more than it has such a narrow definition of cream of the crop and repeats itself every time.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 09:10 PM   #29
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I think it's not so much that it's personal to individuals, more than it has such a narrow definition of cream of the crop and repeats itself every time.
Basically, it seems like they "discover" a few shows and then stick with them every year, and it's difficult for anything else to break through.

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
It's so personal, and most people (not saying you) don't even watch all of the shows that are nominated to give an true opinion. It's usually just people saying "I watch this show, why isn't it up there?"
If you changed this to "I watch this show, so it's up there", I think it would probably sum up the way the Emmy nominations come about.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:01 PM   #30
Dream
Admiral

Basically, it seems like they "discover" a few shows and then stick with them every year, and it's difficult for anything else to break through.
Well, it's not like they aren't willing to drop popular shows once they turn bad. The Emmys dropped 24 and Dexter like a bad habit when those shows went downhill in quality.