Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?
Yes 85 86.73%
No 13 13.27%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30 2013, 09:22 PM   #76
Nine of Four
Commander

Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

"Star Trek Online" offers an interesting premise for another series; Romulus and Remus destroyed, with the Romulans forming rival factions. Starfleet has ordered that ships help in any way possible with civilian Romulans.

The Klingons, seeing an opportunity for invasion, enter Romulan space and claim several systems as there own. Conflict is inescapable, and the Klingons break the century-long treaty with the Federation and attack Starfleet.

The Borg are reading there forces, to return in the 3rd or 4th season.

The Dominion, the Tholians, and the Cardassians would play in eventually as well.....
Old August 31 2013, 08:30 PM   #77
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
"Star Trek Online" offers an interesting premise for another series; Romulus and Remus destroyed, with the Romulans forming rival factions. Starfleet has ordered that ships help in any way possible with civilian Romulans.

The Klingons, seeing an opportunity for invasion, enter Romulan space and claim several systems as there own. Conflict is inescapable, and the Klingons break the century-long treaty with the Federation and attack Starfleet.

The Borg are reading there forces, to return in the 3rd or 4th season.

The Dominion, the Tholians, and the Cardassians would play in eventually as well.....
None of which is a premise for a series. It's backstory at best. Not even particularly interesting backstory.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:49 PM   #78
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^I never played it though I'm sure it's interesting to the people playing it, but a new series does need fresh ideas. Tie-ins are great (the only thing I liked about Enterprise) and I'd hope a 25th century Star Trek would have alot of them, but I'd rather the focus be something completely new.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 06:41 AM   #79
Dukhat
Commodore

bbjeg wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Your sentlements of TNG/VOY/DS9 is just that, sentlement. And perhaps you can gather together a few hundred fans who want that type of Trek on TV, but at the cost of repelling millions of other potential viewers.
How would making a 25th century show automatically repel millions of viewers, and how is your "Because anything else with a Star Trek label is a diluted spin-off which is doomed for failure" not sentiment?
I think what he means is that back in the late '90's it would have been fine to create a Trek show with new characters on a new ship, because it was a) syndicated, and b) the highest rated show on the lowest rated network. But now, those models aren't really viable anymore. The general viewing public will be what makes or breaks a Trek series today, and the general public will not care about a new crew or ship. It's Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise that will draw them in, as has been proven with the films.
Old September 3 2013, 12:11 PM   #80
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^For now, true, but what happens when those new fans get tired of Kirk and Spock, a reboot reboot with NuNuKirk and NuNuSpock?
Old September 3 2013, 02:45 PM   #81
anh165
Commander

^For now, true, but what happens when those new fans get tired of Kirk and Spock, a reboot reboot with NuNuKirk and NuNuSpock?
When 'new fans' become tired of the rebooted trek fanchise, it will no longer make enough money and Trek will get shelved or rebooted again to a new generation of audiences.

The concept of Kirk, Spock and the original crew works on a popular culture level.

Captain No-body in the Starship el-camino only appeals to a few hundred viewers at best, that is no basis to risk millions of dollars to launch a new TV/Movie on.

Not to mention making Trek even less accessible and tasteful

Last edited by anh165; September 3 2013 at 05:27 PM.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:54 PM   #82
R. Star
Rear Admiral

When 'new fans' become tired of the rebooted trek fanchise, it will no longer make enough money and Trek will get shelved or rebooted again to a new generation of audiences.

The concept of Kirk, Spock and the original crew works on a popular culture level.

Captain No-body in the Starship el-camino only appeals to a few hundred viewers at best, that is no basis to risk millions of dollars to launch a new TV/Movie on.

Not to mention making Trek even less accessible and tasteless.
Wow, by that logic TOS never should've gotten off the ground in the 60's. Everyone should've wanted a Buck Rogers reboot.
Old September 3 2013, 04:20 PM   #83
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Pretty sure making Trek less tasteless is a good thing.

Right?
Old September 3 2013, 04:26 PM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
Wow, by that logic TOS never should've gotten off the ground in the 60's. Everyone should've wanted a Buck Rogers reboot.
Oh Jesus Christ. Star Trek was unique on the entertainment landscape in 1966, it wasn't just riding the coattails of success from something else called Star Trek. Is it too much to ask to want something new and different that is as unique to the current entertainment landscape as Star Trek was in 1966?

I love Star Trek, it was probably more responsible for the person I became than any other factor (including my parents). But I'm willing to let it go. I want there to be new TV series and movies that capture my imagination as much as Trek has. I don't want the networks and studios to just keep going to the same well over and over and over again until I die.
Old September 3 2013, 04:29 PM   #85
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

When 'new fans' become tired of the rebooted trek franchise, it will no longer make enough money and Trek will get shelved or rebooted again to a new generation of audiences.

So all that's left for Star Trek for the rest of it's existence is Kirk and Spock reboots? I doubt that would be a financially sound idea. Also there is more than a few hundred Star Trek online subscribers, not to mention fans into books, the remaining old fans who, and the new fans who would check it out. Even the worst movies do better than a few hundred viewers, which I don't think a Star Trek movie without any familiar faces could do as badly. I would like to know how you found that statistic.
Old September 3 2013, 04:41 PM   #86
BillJ
Admiral

So all that's left for Star Trek for the rest of it's existence is Kirk and Spock reboots? I doubt that would be a financially sound idea.
Seems to work for properties like Superman, Batman, The Avengers, Spiderman, The X-Men and so on...

People seem to want to assign some type of importance to the spinoffs, that somehow because they existed Star Trek can't go on without them. Which is simply false.

Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise are the core elements of Star Trek. General audiences like them and it would be silly for the studios to drop hundreds of millions of dollars into something that would simply be trading on the Trek name.
Old September 3 2013, 05:28 PM   #87
anh165
Commander

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Pretty sure making Trek less tasteless is a good thing.

Right?
Edited.
Old September 3 2013, 05:39 PM   #88
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
So all that's left for Star Trek for the rest of it's existence is Kirk and Spock reboots? I doubt that would be a financially sound idea.
Seems to work for properties like Superman, Batman, The Avengers, Spiderman, The X-Men and so on...
X-men and Avengers both had successful spinoffs (and prequels), which Superman and Batman are trying to compete with by doing a Justice league movie (why Ben Affleck?). Plus, I'm sure if Avengers could get their hands on Spiderman, they would. People don't just want the norms.
Old September 3 2013, 05:44 PM   #89
anh165
Commander

So all that's left for Star Trek for the rest of it's existence is Kirk and Spock reboots? I doubt that would be a financially sound idea. Also there is more than a few hundred Star Trek online subscribers, not to mention fans into books, the remaining old fans who, and the new fans who would check it out. Even the worst movies do better than a few hundred viewers, which I don't think a Star Trek movie without any familiar faces could do as badly. I would like to know how you found that statistic.
Again you are talking from a position of a seasoned trek fan who is sentlemental about the TV material you grew up watching.

What you are willing to invest your time and money to see is not the same as what millions of others are interested in.
Old September 3 2013, 05:57 PM   #90
BillJ
Admiral

X-men and Avengers both had successful spinoffs (and prequels), which Superman and Batman are trying to compete with by doing a Justice league movie (why Ben Affleck?). Plus, I'm sure if Avengers could get their hands on Spiderman, they would. People don't just want the norms.
But you're talking about things that run concurrently with their successful parents or where the parent is still there and new elements are added.

The simple fact of the matter is this: with each spinoff, people became less and less interested in Star Trek. So if I'm a studio/network executive, the question is this: if I greenlight a new series do I go with the elements from two movies that recently generated $450 million dollars plus each or do I continue on from the elements that general audiences were obviously tired of a decade ago, including a series that finished its run with less than two-million viewers a week (nevermind the fact that three out of four series had dwindling viewership numbers) and a movie that was a box-office bomb? I know which answer I give.