Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 31 2013, 04:48 PM   #451
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

61. Blue Jasmine (A+)

Woody Allen is in absolute top form here, easily his best film since at least Match Point, and possibly earlier (it will take some rewatches to know how it holds up). This has been compared to A Streetcar Named Desire fairly extensively in reviews, but that comparison really only goes so far; there's definitely a similarity in the basic setup, but the story develops in ways that have very little to do with it. In particular, there's no single equivalent to Stanley; this is all Blanche. Speaking of which, Cate Blanchett is phenomenal in the lead role -- this could very easily be this year's Best Actress winner. Sally Hawkins also deserves a nomination, and given Allen's track record with Supporting Actress nominations, may well get one.

Cinema: 22 (+1)
Home Video: 35
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 07:33 PM   #452
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - DVD
Before Sunrise - Encore on Demand
The Way, Way Back - free admission
Turbo 2D - free admission
The Smurfs 2 3D - free admission
The Sitter - HBO on Demand
Mean Girls - Showtime on Demand
Carnage - Starz on Demand
Ghost Story of Yotsuya- free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond- free admission
Trainspotting - free admission
Charlie Bartlett - Netflix Instant
Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - DVD
The Chronicles of Riddick - bluray
The Canyons - free admission
The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Act of Killing - free admission
Flesh Pier - free admission
The Horizon Glitters - free admission
Adjust Your Tracking - free admission
Planes 2D - free admission
2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission
Kick-Ass 2 - free admission
Five Easy Pieces - free admission
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 2D - free admission
Jobs - free admission
Paranoia- free admission
Lee Daniels' The Butler - free admission
We're the Millers - free admission
Blue Jasmine - free admission
Clear History - HBO
The Apparition - HBO
Great White Shark 3D - IMAX
Somewhere in Time - Netflix Instant
A Haunted House - Netflix Instant
Our Idiot Brother - Netflix Instant
Dark Tide - Netflix Instant
The First Wives Club - Netflix Instant
The African Queen - Netflix Instant
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - theater

Well, The African Queen was pretty good. The "green screen" (what did they used to call it? rotoscope or something?) work for the rapids & wildlife was pretty obvious, but still, a good story and the leads had chemistry.

Took my nephews out of to the movies last night, they went to see Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 3D while I went to see TMI: CoB.

Fourth movie I've paid money to see this year.

Jared Harris was pretty cool as one of the supportin' adult characters, but there was a lot of ground to cover to set up the rules for the mythology, and the endin' seemed to go on too long. There was also a subplot about the "mundane" (normal) guy, but it got dropped. I stuck around waitin' for a bonus scene or something durin' or after the credits, to see it if was used to set up a sequel, but nothin'.

Still, angelic demon hunters allied with werewolves fightin' with vampires & monsters...seems like a cool idea. Too bad the majority of the cast were teenagers in leather goth gear.
Old August 31 2013, 07:56 PM   #453
Harvey
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Well, The African Queen was pretty good. The "green screen" (what did they used to call it? rotoscope or something?) work for the rapids & wildlife was pretty obvious, but still, a good story and the leads had chemistry.
Probably rear-projection or front-project, although it's been ages since I've seen the movie.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 09:09 PM   #454
od0_ital
Admiral

^

Its on Netflix Instant, if ya have it. And its a restored version from Paramount, the version they did for the blu ray a couple of years ago.
Old September 1 2013, 12:53 AM   #455
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
The Princess and the Pilot (8)

Current Total: 61
Old September 1 2013, 07:22 PM   #456
od0_ital
Admiral

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - DVD
Before Sunrise - Encore on Demand
The Way, Way Back - free admission
Turbo 2D - free admission
The Smurfs 2 3D - free admission
The Sitter - HBO on Demand
Mean Girls - Showtime on Demand
Carnage - Starz on Demand
Ghost Story of Yotsuya- free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond- free admission
Trainspotting - free admission
Charlie Bartlett - Netflix Instant
Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - DVD
The Chronicles of Riddick - bluray
The Canyons - free admission
The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Act of Killing - free admission
Flesh Pier - free admission
The Horizon Glitters - free admission
Adjust Your Tracking - free admission
Planes 2D - free admission
2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission
Kick-Ass 2 - free admission
Five Easy Pieces - free admission
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 2D - free admission
Jobs - free admission
Paranoia- free admission
Lee Daniels' The Butler - free admission
We're the Millers - free admission
Blue Jasmine - free admission
Clear History - HBO
The Apparition - HBO
Great White Shark 3D - IMAX
Somewhere in Time - Netflix Instant
A Haunted House - Netflix Instant
Our Idiot Brother - Netflix Instant
Dark Tide - Netflix Instant
The First Wives Club - Netflix Instant
The African Queen - Netflix Instant
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - theater
Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams - Netflix Instant

And the last movie watched in August was the first Spy Kids sequel...

The first movie put me to sleep, but I watched this one anyway. I don't know why I bothered, because it was all just too much. Too much greenscreen, too much color, too much CGI.

About the only thing goin' for it was that Khan Singh had a supportin' role.

Even confined to a wheelchair, that dude was hardcore.
Old September 2 2013, 04:54 AM   #457
Agent Richard07
Retired

144. Assault on Wall Street (✩✩✩✩) - Download - A man loses everything due to economic troubles and takes it upon himself to punish those at the top. Yes, it's very much like The Punisher. Stars Dominic Purcell. It's not considered a great movie, but it's pretty good as a guilty pleasure, hence the high score.

145. I Melt With You (✩✩½) - Netflix - Four guys in their 40s go on holiday and party it up with drugs, booze and women. Then things start to go south when something bad happens. It has an all-star cast hat includes Thomas Jane, Rob Lowe, Jeremy Piven and Carla Gugino, but it's not a very good film. Not only did it not hook me right away, but it decended further into weirdness and confusion. The setting was nice though… Shot and took place near Big Sur, California.

Theatre: 22
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 5
Live TV: 17
Download: 67
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:55 AM   #458
Agent Richard07
Retired

August Rundown (15 Movies)

5 Stars
None

4½ Stars
Charly - Download
Elysium - Theatre
Limitless (Unrated Extended Cut) - Blu-ray

4 Stars
Assault on Wall Street - Download
Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - Download
Breaking Dawn - Part 2 - Download

3½ Stars
Flowers for Algernon - Download
Kick-Ass 2 - Theatre
The Apparition - Download
Wind - Netflix

3 Stars
The Surrogacy Trap - Download
Twilight - Download

2½ Stars
Eclipse - Download
I Melt With You - Netflix
New Moon - Download

2 Stars
None

1½ Stars
None

1 Star
None

½ Star
None

0 Stars
None
Old September 2 2013, 04:18 PM   #459
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

73. Apocalypto: A
74. Stargate: Ark of Truth: A-
75. Stargate: Continuum: A
76. Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: B-
77. Pi: C-

I finally got around to this Aronofsky(sp) film about a guy who does math based computer software in the late 90s. I'm assuming it's relevant to it's release as Max had an old school 8" floppy we seem him crumple up in frustration.
Max is the focus of our story and we are told once per act that "his mom told him not to look directly into the sun, but he did it once anyway". This moment changed him somehow, for sure he gets intense headaches now but that did also make him "Mr.Math". He's being aggressively pursue by a "company" that wants him to "work" for them. The goal is to manipulate the stock market which Max has had some success in predicting based on his calculations. He suspects that due to patterns within numbers the Market is also likely "alive" and thus predictable. People seek to profit from this predictability. He also has an "accidental" run in with some religious Jews seeking to find a Messianic Equation buried within the Torah. Meanwhile his headaches keep getting worse, we find out both groups of people are willing to be aggressive to get the info out of him, what could be called is only friend dies. Max is unstable to say the least and even the one woman neighbor who seems to have some type of interest in Max is pushed away by him. The neighbor girl up a flight is always quizzing him and testing him with her calculator. All the insanity leads Max to shave his head and seemingly perform his own trepanning with a power drill in the bathroom. We next see him and the neighbor girl in a park, Max can no longer calculate, his ability gone, he looks up into the sun.

While it's not a bad movie, it's not one I found gripping and engaging. The b&w style of the film gives it a type of Noir feel I suppose. The editing was choppy at times and the jerky camera moments didn't do anything for me. At times they were used for purpose, like during his headaches and seizures, other times it felt just because.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:22 PM   #460
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ I've been meaning to check out Pi for years. The subject matter is of interest to me because I tried to do the same thing the main character did.

Anyway...

2013 summer movies seen in viewing order... (13 Movies)

Iron Man 3 (✩✩✩✩✩)
Star Trek Into Darkness (✩✩✩½)
Furious 6 (✩✩✩½)
The Hangover Part III (✩✩✩)
Now You See Me (✩✩✩✩½)
This Is the End (✩✩✩✩)
Man of Steel (✩✩✩✩✩)
World War Z (✩✩✩½)
The Lone Ranger (✩✩✩½)
Pacific Rim (✩✩✩✩½)
The Wolverine (✩✩✩)
Elysium (✩✩✩✩½)
Kick-Ass 2 (✩✩✩½)
Old September 2 2013, 09:39 PM   #461
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

25) Airplane! - B+
26) The Island - B
27) Love, Actually - A-
28) Kickass 2 - C+
29) 28 Days - C

If Sandra Bullock and Viggo Mortensen were the only two things in this movie, the grade would have been a lot higher. The scene where Mortensen is signing autographs for a group of kids at the gas station and the unspoken part of the father realizing the centre bus and the following shot of him and Viggo in silence sold that for me.

What drags this movie down is the multiple supporting cast members. They really don't add anything to the movie and were frankly annoying most of the time. If they had been dropped and Bullock's struggle was more internal, coming to the realization she needs to change on her own moreso than she did.
Old September 3 2013, 01:12 AM   #462
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Side by Side - Amazon Prime on my iPad - This is the Keanu Reeves documentary about Film vs Digital. It has a lot of the heavy hitters in the movie industry today taking sides in this war of attrition. While basic in concept and presentation, the interviews with the different people who stand on each side of the argument are very interesting and entertaining.

Les Misérables - HBO go on Apple TV - The newest version of Les Miserable, told by the director of The Kings Speech is a gripping retelling of the classic. With outstanding performances by Hugh Jackman and Anna Hathaway, some how Russell Crowe muddles his way through a wooden performance which was actually worse then his singing. After seeing this movie, I would only like to see musicals done like this in the future. Where they actually capture the singing on set. It allowed for such a layered, nuanced performance like you haven't seen in a movie musical in a very long, long time. I have to admit I was crying at the end, the movie did its job.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:38 AM   #463
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (7)

Current Total: 62
Old September 3 2013, 04:22 AM   #464
od0_ital
Admiral

Spy Kids: All the Time in the World - Showtime on Demand
Arthur Christmas - Showtime on Demand

Spendin' time with my brother's kids today, wound up usin' the on demand channels for entertainment.

First up, the fourth Spy Kids movie. Not as outrageously annoyin' as the second one, or as dull as the first, and it had Jessica Alba in it. Nice touch to include the original kids as adults agents for the OSS, too.

Could have done without the robotic dog, but the niece & nephew liked it, and the niece even said she wanted to watch it over again when it ended.

Followed that up with Arthur Christmas. I thought it was a cute movie, but it didn't hold the kids' attention at all, because they told me that Santa isn't real.

Ah, well...

We also watch La Luna, Partysaurus Rex & Brave.
Old September 3 2013, 04:54 AM   #465
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I had surgery on Friday so I've been recuperating the last couple days. I haven't been able to see many films this year since I've been busy working on my own projects, so I thought this could afford me the perfect opportunity to play a little catch up.

The first on my list was Danny Boyle's Trance, which I thought was a wonderfully trippy movie. This seemed like a slight departure from Danny Boyle, who recently directed two heavyweight films in Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours, so I'm sure it was nice to do a lighter film. Trance is a really psychedelic movie, filled with Boyle's signature visual style and kinetic pacing. It's actually strange because it shares some similarities with a film I just did, so that was interesting to see.

The next film I saw was The Place Beyond The Pines, which was a very ambitious crime drama from the director of Blue Valentine. Starring Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper, I had no idea the film spanned twenty years, and the previews made it look like Gosling was the star, even though he is a part of a fantastic ensemble which includes Eva Mendes, Rose Bryne, Ray Liotta and Dane DeHaan. The film is slightly too ambitious for its own good, but I appreciated that even with its epic scope the storytelling and characterization is still fairly intimate. Perhaps not as affecting or successful as Blue Valentine, the movie is still an impressive achievement.

After that, I decided to watch another Ryan Gosling movie: Only God Forgives, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. I'm a big fan of Refn, and I loved both his previous directorial efforts (Bronson and Drive). As a matter of fact, Drive was probably one of my favorite films of 2011, so I was really looking forward to this. Suffice to say, I was very disappointed in this film. I will give Refn credit where credit is due... the movie is visually stylish and has some hypnotic visuals. Refn describes it as a "fairy tale", and I totally get that. However, everything that made Drive so artful, intense and engaging completely falls flat here. None of the characters feel like actual people, or are likable at all. They are ciphers, and thus entirely impossible to relate to or care about. The story - well, let's face it, there's barely a story at all - is completely vapid and perfunctory. I really like Refn, and I will still happily look forward to whatever he does next, but this is a real clunker and probably his least successful film.

The last film I saw was Stoker, written by Wentworth Miller and directed by Chan-wook Park. This film is devilishly stylish, with impeccable transitions and some of the most gorgeously lush cinematography I've seen in a while. Unfortunately, the script is a little pedestrian and not as strong as the visuals might suggest. It's still a really entertaining and engrossing movie. The leads, played by Matthew Goode (who really should have been Batman in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel) and Mia Wasikowska, sort of steal the movie and elevate the material. The chemistry between Goode and Wasikowska is pretty great and Wasikowska is a very talented actress with a bright future ahead of her. It's just a shame the script doesn't quite have the gravitas or depth the performances and visuals so rightly deserved.

Last edited by JacksonArcher; September 3 2013 at 05:45 AM.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote