Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

View Poll Results: Vote away
Generations 24 19.05%
First Contact 7 5.56%
Insurrection 37 29.37%
Nemesis 58 46.03%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 26 2013, 09:43 PM   #106
suarezguy
Commodore

Re: What is your least favourite TNG film

Nemesis is a bit worse than Insurrection: I liked that Data was portrayed seriously, his death and the final space battle were OK but Shinzon, B4 and the rest of the action were boring and too non-credible.
Old August 26 2013, 11:46 PM   #107
SeerSGB
Admiral

On average, all the TNG movies are my least favorite. But from best to worst:

First Contact (overall least favorite Trek film, but the best of the TNG group. It only gets the #1 spot cause it's the visually most impressive of the movies)
Insurrection
Generations
Nemesis
Old August 27 2013, 03:32 AM   #108
austen_pierce
Captain

I really wanted to love Nemesis. I still do. I keep thinking it will be better next time I watch it. That Tom Hardy will actually sell menacing. That the Romulans will save the movie in addition to the Enterprise. It's the tenth movie; it was supposed to be epic, something truly special. As soon as I heard the tag line "a generation's final journey", I knew we were in trouble... that's what they were selling. Might as well have read "a franchise's final outing."
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:25 PM   #109
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I don't like First Contact in the slightest. Star Trek is an adventure show, but it stepped on major themes in Star Trek II, Moby Dick and all. It wasn't like this for Picard by the end of Descent, Part II. They covered this material in the show. That's my first complaint.

The second is that Zephrame Cochrane is told exactly who he will become. He's no longer living his life as if he has no idea of the outcome. It changes the universe of Star Trek and takes away from the greatness of Cochrane. Imagine if I, in the 21st Century, traveled back in time and told George Washington he must cross the Delaware. Tell him everything about the United States. It's crazy.

Star Trek: Insurrection is my favorite and I have talked about it ad nauseum on this board.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:44 PM   #110
Anika Hanson
Captain

Insurrection. I loved Nemesis especially the book.
Old August 30 2013, 12:49 AM   #111
jpv2000
Captain

Anika Hanson wrote: View Post
Insurrection. I loved Nemesis especially the book.
I loved Nemesis as well. Good to see I'm not alone. I haven't read the book. I will have to look into getting that.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 12:57 AM   #112
Pondwater
Commodore

Nemesis. It was just horrible. Data being blown to smithereens then being replaced by the lesser B4. The whole thing about Picard having a clone.... The only highlight was the Wedding scene.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 02:36 PM   #113
austen_pierce
Captain

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Nemesis. It was just horrible. Data being blown to smithereens then being replaced by the lesser B4. The whole thing about Picard having a clone.... The only highlight was the Wedding scene.
The B4 replacement aspect was awful. Better to have B4 serve a purpose... like destroying the Theleron weapon. Consider a situation in which the weapon was active. No human could get close due to the damaging effects. Data is our only hope. Suddenly, he realizes that he needs a second set of hands. Enter B4. Let them both make the ultimate sacrifice. After all, Spiner's not coming back.
Old August 30 2013, 07:56 PM   #114
SeerSGB
Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
The B4 replacement aspect was awful. Better to have B4 serve a purpose... like destroying the Theleron weapon. Consider a situation in which the weapon was active. No human could get close due to the damaging effects. Data is our only hope. Suddenly, he realizes that he needs a second set of hands. Enter B4. Let them both make the ultimate sacrifice. After all, Spiner's not coming back.
Hell, bring back Lal or Lore. There was no need to create B4.
Old August 31 2013, 11:48 AM   #115
Smellmet
Commander

I would have liked to have seen Lore in Nemesis, I loved Spiner's portrayal of him in the series
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 05:42 PM   #116
sonak
Vice Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Hell, bring back Lal or Lore. There was no need to create B4.

I liked the concept of B4. It made sense from a realism perspective that Soong would have built a more primitive prototype model before building something as complex as Lore.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 07:13 PM   #117
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't mind B4, I'd just have lost the whole dune buggy chase and search for his parts as it slowed the movie down for no real reason. Nemesis isn't hugely good, but it's very underrated. I like the grim, dark tone and think Shinzon is one of the best villains of the film franchise. Certainly way better than Nero.

Nemesis badly needed another draft of the script, to remove a lot of the pointless shit and further explain some of the main plot. It's still pretty enjoyable for dumb entertainment, but the TNG crew deserved better for their final outing.

Generations is the only TNG movie I just can't enjoy. There are a few good bits but I always finish it feeling angry and depressed at how much of a waste it was. The other 3 are largely enjoyable, despite their flaws.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 02:43 AM   #118
austen_pierce
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't mind B4, I'd just have lost the whole dune buggy chase and search for his parts as it slowed the movie down for no real reason. Nemesis isn't hugely good, but it's very underrated. I like the grim, dark tone and think Shinzon is one of the best villains of the film franchise. Certainly way better than Nero.

Nemesis badly needed another draft of the script, to remove a lot of the pointless shit and further explain some of the main plot. It's still pretty enjoyable for dumb entertainment, but the TNG crew deserved better for their final outing.

Generations is the only TNG movie I just can't enjoy. There are a few good bits but I always finish it feeling angry and depressed at how much of a waste it was. The other 3 are largely enjoyable, despite their flaws.
Generations may be a waste of Kirk and Chekov in their last big screen roles, but there's a lot to like here as well. Scotty gets a few good scenes and lines, especially his digs at Kirk. The interesting use of lighting is somethings that's easily forgotten yet makes this a standout among the films. I originally HATED Data's emotion chip but have reversed on that as well... Geordi's "I'm not amused" reactions are priceless. I do wish they had done anything other than the Nexus though...
Old September 2 2013, 07:37 PM   #119
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander

Nemesis is soooo the worst. First 15 mins; Troi and Riker's wedding with Data singing - great. Awesome. One of the best Star Trek scenes. But the rest? Picard has an unknown clone? There's another Soong android? Data's death? Please.
Old September 2 2013, 07:48 PM   #120
Relayer1
Commodore

I am tempted to say all of them, but Generations is head and shoulders above the others in the crapness stakes.

In order of dislike -

Generations
Insurrection
Nemesis
First Contact