Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 31 2013, 12:54 AM   #241
TedShatner10
Commodore

Re: Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

I've read the article but too tired/lazy to see through this very long thread, but I must say that Christopher Eccleston, great actor that he is, is perhaps a bit too precious not return, perpetually leaving his boats and bridges burnt. I know Eccleston took on the Doctor role relatively briefly and it was at an awkward time in his life (his dad dying), plus it's alleged he got on badly with one of the directors, but was the professional experience really that bad? It's been many years now.
Old August 31 2013, 08:14 AM   #242
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I wasn't aware his dad died during this. Certainly doesn't show on-screen - kudos for him, then.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:06 AM   #243
Starkers
Admiral

TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
I've read the article but too tired/lazy to see through this very long thread, but I must say that Christopher Eccleston, great actor that he is, is perhaps a bit too precious not return, perpetually leaving his boats and bridges burnt. I know Eccleston took on the Doctor role relatively briefly and it was at an awkward time in his life (his dad dying), plus it's alleged he got on badly with one of the directors, but was the professional experience really that bad? It's been many years now.
But he's under no obligation to come back, he did a job, it's over he moved on.

Frankly the only thing that still somewhat surprises me about the whole thing is that he took the job in the first place, obviously he didn't know he was going to have a bad experience with certain people on set, and the loss of his father would happen at this time, but he seems a very profession, serious private man and he must have known that this was a role that might define him to a lot of people for a long time.

I'm glad he did take the role 'cos he was a great Doctor, I just wonder why he took it?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:11 AM   #244
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
But he's under no obligation to come back, he did a job, it's over he moved on.

Frankly the only thing that still somewhat surprises me about the whole thing is that he took the job in the first place, obviously he didn't know he was going to have a bad experience with certain people on set, and the loss of his father would happen at this time, but he seems a very profession, serious private man and he must have known that this was a role that might define him to a lot of people for a long time.

I'm glad he did take the role 'cos he was a great Doctor, I just wonder why he took it?
From interviews he says that he knew RTD was a good storyteller and he thinks it's important to hook kids on good stories from a young age.
Old August 31 2013, 10:55 AM   #245
Pingfah
Admiral

The level of interest in having him show his face again should tell you exactly why he took the role, or at least one big reason. He's a savvy businessman who realised how popular the show would be.
Old August 31 2013, 11:32 AM   #246
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
I was going to add the plan for a Dug but wasn't sure anyone else would know what we mean.
A wee dug would be nice.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 01:05 PM   #247
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
From interviews he says that he knew RTD was a good storyteller and he thinks it's important to hook kids on good stories from a young age.
He wanted to work with RTD again -- they had worked together on The Second Coming -- and thought the experience and working relationship on Doctor Who would be similar. It wasn't.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 04:32 PM   #248
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
He wanted to work with RTD again -- they had worked together on The Second Coming -- and thought the experience and working relationship on Doctor Who would be similar. It wasn't.
He also likes children and wanted to present a positive role model for them. He also said in one interview that people with his accent are looked down on in Britain, often thought as slime or even dangerous just based upon their voice and what region they were born in, and that he felt it was important to show both British kids and their parents that people like him could be positive heroes as well.
Old August 31 2013, 04:43 PM   #249
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Bacl wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

He also likes children and wanted to present a positive role model for them. He also said in one interview that people with his accent are looked down on in Britain, often thought as slime or even dangerous just based upon their voice and what region they were born in, and that he felt it was important to show both British kids and their parents that people like him could be positive heroes as well.
There's an actress called Maxine Peake, she's also from the north, she stars in a show called Silk, in which she plays a barrister. She auditioned for the role and they told her that with her accent people would never believe that she was intelligent enough to be a barrister and she had to use a southern accent.
Old August 31 2013, 05:03 PM   #250
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...n-said-2067680

Something similar happened Steph McGovern, business correspondent on BBC breakfast TV.
Old August 31 2013, 08:15 PM   #251
Bacl
Fleet Captain

There's an actress called Maxine Peake, she's also from the north, she stars in a show called Silk, in which she plays a barrister. She auditioned for the role and they told her that with her accent people would never believe that she was intelligent enough to be a barrister and she had to use a southern accent.
That's disgusting. Aren't we supposed to have evolved a bit above and beyond that kind of crap by now?
Old September 1 2013, 03:36 AM   #252
Lonemagpie
Writer

Anyone Scottish should.
nothin wrang wi a guid dug tae walk

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote