Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: On What Would You Like A New Trek Series Based?
A Starship 38 65.52%
A Fleet 7 12.07%
A Station 2 3.45%
A Colony 7 12.07%
Other (please specify) 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 28 2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
the whole idea of ship specifically designed as a test-bed for super-advanced technology and propulsion that could completely redefine Starfleet's core mission seems like cornucopia of story ideas.
Story ideas about endless techno-babble?

Whle I do think the show should be set on a starship, having the ship be anything more than a way to get from story to story likely wouldn't be that important. Kirk's ship was old, it was the characters and the situations that were the important part of the show.

A ship a mile long or one 500 feet long, not my first concideration. How many ober-powerful giga-phaser banks it has ... who cares.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I agree that on what the next series is set isn't as important as the characters or getting good actors to play them, good writers to give them plenty to face and resolve. The setting does however influence what kind of characters we'd get and the stories they can tell.

Personally if they went for a starship next time I'd want it to have some age to it, so it wasn't a super-ship that could do everything and come out without a scratch.
Old August 28 2013, 09:36 PM   #18
CorporalClegg
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Story ideas about endless techno-babble?
One does not beget the other. Really all need be said is, "This is slipstream drive. It's a lot faster than warpdrive." Anything beyond that would be superfluous.

The problem with the technobabble in the 90s wasn't the technology description itself, but the lack of brevity. The writers went out of their way, it seemed, to be as verbose as possible.

You could take a smart phone with you back to the 50s and describe it as "A telephone you take with you that provides its own directory and library of information." Or describe it like they do on some of those techy vlogs.

The story ideas would relate to how, if the project is a success, then the entire map of the entire galaxy (not just the Alpha Quadrant) is completely redrawn. There's a lot at stake. There's also the matter of whether or not the political atmosphere of the Federation changes once it has such an unfair advantage over the other powers. Power corrupts and all that.

The technology itself is just a prop, just like it was in TOS. But since it's new and untested, having it break all the time could keep things interesting. (As long as it doesn't resort to silly antics like TFF.)

One of the biggest mistakes Voyager did IMO is make the ship perfectly shiny and new. It would have been so much better had it been the Intrepid class prototype.

Whle I do think the show should be set on a starship, having the ship be anything more than a way to get from story to story likely wouldn't be that important. Kirk's ship was old, it was the characters and the situations that were the important part of the show.
The Enterprise was as much a character of TOS as any of the actors where. TNG lost that connection, and the other three shows never really found a way to find it again. The whole idea is to bring it back.

A ship a mile long or one 500 feet long, not my first concideration. How many ober-powerful giga-phaser banks it has ... who cares.
Not sure how this is applicable. I never implied anything of the sort.
Old August 28 2013, 09:59 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Trek is guilty about almost always giving the good guys the "best" ship. There's so much better storytelling about the inferior protagonist overcoming the odds due to guile. Enterprise got that much right, if not much else.
Old August 29 2013, 12:39 AM   #20
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
A 25th-Century starship in a distant corner of the Galaxy. Far enough way to frequently encounter new worlds and new civilizations, but still close enough to the Federation border to occasionally return to a starbase or visit a Federation colony, as well as encounter other Starfleet vessels in that region from time to time.
Agree. Perfect.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 02:24 PM   #21
JariM
Lieutenant

R. Star wrote: View Post
Trek is guilty about almost always giving the good guys the "best" ship. There's so much better storytelling about the inferior protagonist overcoming the odds due to guile. Enterprise got that much right, if not much else.
Agreed.
My idea for a new series would involve a recommissioned Enterprise refitted with some of the latest tech but not enough energy output to run all the systems 100% simultaneously.
Old August 29 2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Richard Baker
Captain

I would like to see a followup to the 29th Century 'Time Cops' as scene on Voyager. Temporal adjusters fixing pivotal points in the timeline. They could do a 'Trials and Tribulations' type show every so often and revisit some existing Trek stories of appear anywhere from the far past to the future of what we are familiar with.
Problem is that Trek over mines an area- TNG made the Alpha Quadrant a local neighborhood, DS-9 did it with the Gamma and Voyager with the Delta. Enterprise has to go into the Expanse to introduce new species and conflict and the next Trek will need to go further out to some unexplored region to come up with unique and fresh stories.
We saw a glimpse of the role and life on the Relativity on Voyager and I thought about what other missions that ship would have- having all of past and future history to explore would be interesting.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:57 PM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well, I think timetravel is way over used in Trek to the point where it seriously seems easier to travel in time, than travel from point a to point b. A whole series based on it and an episode that doesn't make very much sense? Meh... especially given the innate corruptness of arresting someone for "crimes you are going to commit." Relativity wasn't even that good of an episode really... though I found it funny that the time cops hated Janeway... though somehow I don't think the writers were going for that.

While Trials and Tribbleations is a good, fun episode.... making something like that the norm would lose it's novelty really quick.
Old August 30 2013, 09:28 PM   #24
Nine of Four
Commander

It's my personal opinion that the knew Trek series, whatever it's about, HAS to have an episode involving Tribbles.....

Also, I posted this on another thread, but it seemed appropriate here as well.....

"Star Trek Online" offers an interesting premise for another series; Romulus and Remus destroyed, with the Romulans forming rival factions. Starfleet has ordered that ships help in any way possible with civilian Romulans.

The Klingons, seeing an opportunity for invasion, enter Romulan space and claim several systems as there own. Conflict is inescapable, and the Klingons break the century-long treaty with the Federation and attack Starfleet.

The Borg are reading there forces, to return in the 3rd or 4th season.

The Dominion, the Tholians, and the Cardassians would play in eventually as well.....
Old August 30 2013, 10:14 PM   #25
CorporalClegg
Admiral

What happens in STO stays in STO.

For the love of God...
Old August 30 2013, 11:33 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I guess it's too much to ask for a show about people exploring space?
Old August 31 2013, 12:06 AM   #27
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

Another Starship.
Lindemann's Catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 12:26 AM   #28
CorporalClegg
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I guess it's too much to ask for a show about people exploring space?
Seems that way.

I don't know why a television franchise that promotes itself as a paragon of good and hope has to always be about wars.
Old August 31 2013, 03:42 AM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post

I don't know why a television franchise that promotes itself as a paragon of good and hope has to always be about wars.
War Trek makes me sad and I long for the days of TOS and early-TNG.
Old August 31 2013, 04:05 AM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
It's my personal opinion that the knew Trek series, whatever it's about, HAS to have an episode involving Tribbles.....

Forbid the new series does something originally cute. Why come up with something new when you can just redo things that have already been done. I bet that saves tons of money with creative writers... wait didn't Enterprise try that?