TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 30 2013, 04:18 AM   #181
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
Wow. You really think this is tied into BR's plan to re-brand all of Trek with the 2009 film?
Not specifically, no.

But Bad Robot were reported to be displeased with having their hands tied when it came to the merchandising approach to Trek.

Now the guy who actually made the VAM for STID says that the decision to split the extras was not all on Paramount.

Who else would make that call then?

I'm just making wild guesses, not trying to present anything as fact.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 04:40 AM   #182
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
Who else would make that call then?

I'm just making wild guesses, not trying to present anything as fact.
Possibly CBS? And same here.
Old August 30 2013, 05:40 AM   #183
Casas9425
Lieutenant

I find it very hard to believe that a geek friendly guy like Abrams would do something like this.
Casas9425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:46 AM   #184
HaplessCrewman
Commander

Casas9425 wrote: View Post
I find it very hard to believe that a geek friendly guy like Abrams would do something like this.
It probably all comes down to $ - even for a guy like him.
Old August 30 2013, 02:16 PM   #185
Bumbles861
Admiral

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
JWPlatt wrote: View Post
You could read TheDigitalBits.com Bill Hunt's review for now. It's pretty good:

http://www.digitalbits.com/item/star...to-darkness-bd
I just read this and am now weighing the decision to cancel my order with Amazon. I pre-ordered the special edition with the phaser but as much as I do want that phaser, I am seriously pissed at not getting all the extras. For the price they are charging it's pretty friggin' ridiculous.
trekker670 wrote: View Post
I just cancelled by preorder too. The movie was good, but definitely not worth $80 for a release they've thrown together as a means of ripping off fans. I may pick up the phaser separately (it's been available for years, so it's easily available on ebay) and if I want to watch the film I'll get it through other means, unless they release an edition with the complete set of features.
I just cancelled my preorder as well. I am disappointed to have had to do so, but I am really pissed at this fuckery.

Byron
Bumbles861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:43 PM   #186
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I can definitely understand the frustration over this release, but cancelling your orders? Surely owning the actual movie takes precedent if you really appreciated it? Is relatively sparse bonus content worth cutting yourselves off from enjoying the film at home?
Old August 30 2013, 05:52 PM   #187
BillJ
Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I can definitely understand the frustration over this release, but cancelling your orders? Surely owning the actual movie takes precedent if you really appreciated it? Is relatively sparse bonus content worth cutting yourselves off from enjoying the film at home?
This.

I'm still picking it up on September 10th. I want the film in all of its 1080p glory. Special features are something I may look at once if I'm bored.
Old August 30 2013, 05:55 PM   #188
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post
This.

I'm still picking it up on September 10th. I want the film in all of its 1080p glory. Special features are something I may look at once if I'm bored.
Yup, and the BD is scoring 100% for picture and sound presentation in all the early reviews.
Old August 30 2013, 06:42 PM   #189
SeerSGB
Admiral

The selling point for me (with blu-ray especially) with a hard copy these days are special features. I already have the I-tunes version of the movie, special features would have made the hard copy a must have for me.

Star Trek and Star Wars are the only two franchises where I'll spend extra movie on digial and hard copies. And the only two franchises where special features on a disc is a make or break for me when it comes to hard copies.
Old August 30 2013, 06:54 PM   #190
Bumbles861
Admiral

This.

Oh, I'm sure I'll end up getting the movie at some point. I just don't think you're getting your monies worth for the price they want. As for the special features - I routinely watch them. The price will come down and I can wait.
Bumbles861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 06:56 PM   #191
JWPlatt
Commander

This.

It's the principle. Do you want a slippery slope of increasingly slimy behavior and abuse of the fans? Then, sure, keep buying into what Paramount Marketing tells you to buy. If Star Trek taught me anything, it's that principles matter and making a stand against unfair practices is far, far more important than instant gratification. Like the "this far and no farther" speech from Picard in First Contact. Don't let Paramount assimilate you or we all lose.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 07:16 PM   #192
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I have never cared about special features, when I buy a movie I'm...buying a movie. Not spending money specifically to spend several hours watching or listening to rather bored production staff rambling.
Old August 30 2013, 07:35 PM   #193
BillJ
Admiral

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
It's the principle. Do you want a slippery slope of increasingly slimy behavior and abuse of the fans? Then, sure, keep buying into what Paramount Marketing tells you to buy.
Oh give me a break.

I'll buy what I want to buy and if I rejected releases from every company that engaged in "slimy behavior and abuse of the fans", I'd have a pretty sparse movie and video-game shelf.
Old August 30 2013, 07:58 PM   #194
HaplessCrewman
Commander

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
The selling point for me (with blu-ray especially) with a hard copy these days are special features. I already have the I-tunes version of the movie, special features would have made the hard copy a must have for me.
Surely the high quality of the presentation of the film on blu-ray is a selling factor as well? The iTunes file is in a much lower quality - highly compressed.
Old August 30 2013, 08:01 PM   #195
SeerSGB
Admiral

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Surely the high quality of the presentation of the film on blu-ray is a selling factor as well? The iTunes file is in a much lower quality - highly compressed.
Not really. I have blu-ray and a hi-def TV, and frankly I'm unimpressed; or rather I simply was "meh" to it. For me theater quality means a theater. I don't need hi-def in everything at the home owner level.