Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 30 2013, 03:12 PM   #16
feek61
Captain

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

This just sucks! Agree with the previous poster in that this encourages pirating. What fool is going to buy every release of this to get the special features. Seems like the marketing department has found a way alienate the consumers even more.
Old August 30 2013, 03:20 PM   #17
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I just cancelled my Amazon Special Edition preorder. It's about the only way I can voice my displeasure.
You can use your active voice to make a comment on the Amazon page for the Blu-ray to alert others who would also be disappointed. It's more difficult to detect the reasons for the passive behavior of simply canceling an order. And no one but Amazon sees the cancellation.
Old August 30 2013, 03:50 PM   #18
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

While I agree it's scummy for Paramount to do this, it is something that happens with movies and music when released through retailers. One will have a book, another will have a few extra songs not available anywhere else, etc.

I'm keeping my preorder with Best Buy, because I want the movie itself. I've maybe only really looked at special features once on a movie and that's about it. Some I'll look at a few times if it's a documentary or something, but making of stuff I'll only look through once and not watch them again after that.
Old August 30 2013, 04:02 PM   #19
bbailey861
Admiral

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
I just cancelled my Amazon Special Edition preorder. It's about the only way I can voice my displeasure.
You can use your active voice to make a comment on the Amazon page for the Blu-ray to alert others who would also be disappointed. It's more difficult to detect the reasons for the passive behavior of simply canceling an order. And no one but Amazon sees the cancellation.
Very good point. I have done just that and put a comment on Amazon.com....and I just got an email stating that it just went 'live'. Thanks for kicking me in the ass.

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
While I agree it's scummy for Paramount to do this, it is something that happens with movies and music when released through retailers. One will have a book, another will have a few extra songs not available anywhere else, etc.

I'm keeping my preorder with Best Buy, because I want the movie itself. I've maybe only really looked at special features once on a movie and that's about it. Some I'll look at a few times if it's a documentary or something, but making of stuff I'll only look through once and not watch them again after that.
Yes, it's something retailers do - but it should be limited to tangible things. Amazon did the phaser, WalMart is doing the ship and those are all good things. The video special features, however, should be put on all the discs.
Old August 30 2013, 04:05 PM   #20
austen_pierce
Captain

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
THIS. Both!

Yes, leave Amazon comments.

I also think enough cancellations might cause Amazon to take notice. If Amazon then complains to Paramount, we might see changes in Paramount's marketing practices. Getting enough cancellations will be the challenge.

Me, I'd already known that a Target edition will have better extras, so I'm holding out for that.

UPDATE: just popped over to Amazon, and the bad reviews are piling up, citing this very problem. Keep it up. Whether we will reach critical mass remains to be seen.
Old August 30 2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Lucky
Commander

Frell. I don't mind retailer exclusive releases that have a few extra featurettes, but when it comes to the freaking audio commentary, I expect it to be on the blu-ray release. Giving it only to itunes is a slap in the face to the fans.
Old August 30 2013, 05:06 PM   #22
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

We'll be covering all of this stuff in our review at TrekCore (currently under construction). Stay tuned.
Old August 30 2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Casas9425
Lieutenant

Yeah I really don't understand the thinking with the audio commentary. It's free to download so why not just put it on the disc? Makes no sense.
Old August 30 2013, 05:11 PM   #24
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Casas9425 wrote: View Post
Yeah I really don't understand the thinking with the audio commentary. It's free to download so why not just put it on the disc? Makes no sense.
It's more than just a separate audio track - it's a separate cut of the film (no additional movie footage) with additional on-screen annotations and a bunch of other stuff built in as well.
Old August 30 2013, 05:19 PM   #25
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Aatrek wrote: View Post
Casas9425 wrote: View Post
It's more than just a separate audio track - it's a separate cut of the film (no additional movie footage) with additional on-screen annotations and a bunch of other stuff built in as well.
That could still easily be included with the disc, and would probably even be better suited for the BR format, where it can be an optional (interactive?) overlay track, rather than hard-coded onto the video itself. It also would require a drastic amount of space on the disc itself.
Old August 30 2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

The other issue is that the commentary is done over the IMAX version of the film, with shifting aspect ratios between IMAX and 'standard' footage. The BR is all 'standard' 2.40:1 aspect ratio.
Old August 30 2013, 06:03 PM   #27
trekker670
Fleet Captain

The other issue is that the commentary is done over the IMAX version of the film, with shifting aspect ratios between IMAX and 'standard' footage. The BR is all 'standard' 2.40:1 aspect ratio.
All the more reason to include the IMAX AR in the standard release
Old August 30 2013, 06:40 PM   #28
Casas9425
Lieutenant

That pisses me off even more.
Old August 30 2013, 06:50 PM   #29
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

We'll be covering all of this stuff in our review at TrekCore (currently under construction). Stay tuned.
Looking forward to it.

Just to remind this thread of the links I posted in the original Blu-ray thread, Bill Hunt of TheDigitalBits.com put up his rant and his review on Wednesday and they are getting quoted around the web.

The rant:
http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/082813_1415

The review:
http://www.digitalbits.com/item/star...to-darkness-bd
Old August 30 2013, 08:31 PM   #30
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

Just to put my viewpoint in here, although it may bother lots of the fans here about what Paramount did (and looking at it it really is scummy), what you have to think about is that the casual buyer is looking for the movie first and foremost. They may really not care at all about bonus features (when I get other movies, I'm really not that concerned about the bonus features at all - if there are some, good. If not, no big deal).

As far as IMAX formatting, I don't get why that's important when you're viewing it at home. Yes, there may be more clarity, but it would be like looking at a letterbox VHS movie on a 13 inch TV, unless you have an IMAX screen handy.
Closed Thread