Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 11 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain

The Borg in Assimilation2

How does everyone feel about the way in which the Borg were very nearly destroyed by the Cybermen in the Assimilation2 crossover with Doctor Who?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Borg in Assimilation2

Of all the things I had an issue with in that series, the Cybermen pwning the Borg was not among them.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 03:07 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

Although some did complain the Borg shouldn't have been so easily defeated by the Cybermen, I personally thought it made perfect sense.
Old August 17 2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Noddy
Captain

Where the heck was the Borg Queen during everything that went on in that story? With the entire Collective facing conquest by the Cybermen, I'd have thought she'd have been more closely involved.
Old August 17 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
The Wormhole
Admiral

Continuity. It doesn't make sense for Data to be unaware of the Borg Queen in First Contact if he met her in this storyline set during TNG S5.
Old August 17 2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

^I wouldn't expect a Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover to be in continuity with either series, so I don't see why that would be a consideration.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 03:24 AM   #7
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Noddy wrote: View Post
Where the heck was the Borg Queen during everything that went on in that story? With the entire Collective facing conquest by the Cybermen, I'd have thought she'd have been more closely involved.
My working theory around issue #6 was that there was no Borg Queen at this point in Borg history and that the Doctor would unintentionally create the Borg Queen when he rebooted the Borg to save them from the Cybermen and then, for timey-wimey reasons there would always have been a Borg Queen. Of course, it didn't happen that way. Nothing that interesting happened in Assimilation2.

I agree with The Wormhole. It would be a continuity problem for the crew to meet the Borg Queen several years before they actually do in First Contact. (Ironically, though, the characterizations, particularly Picard, are closer to the First Contact characterizations than the fifth season characterizations, so in retrospect maybe IDW should have set this after First Contact.)

allyngibson.net
Old August 18 2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Noddy
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I wouldn't expect a Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover to be in continuity with either series, so I don't see why that would be a consideration.
I'd like to include this story in my own personal continuity of both franchises, purely for the fun of it. I just love the idea that the Doctor might have met characters from Trek at some point.

Regarding how the crossover could have come about in-universe, I have a theory that the two realities of the Trekverse and the Whoniverse were somehow temporarily merged together to form a hybrid reality; this would explain how Whoniverse species like the Judoon and Slitheen could suddenly exist in the Trek galaxy. But what could have caused such a huge merger? I strongly doubt the Borg or Cybermen had such capabilities, so I suspect some higher power was at work, maybe Q, or Trelane, or the Celestial Toymaker.
Old August 18 2013, 01:07 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
(Ironically, though, the characterizations, particularly Picard, are closer to the First Contact characterizations than the fifth season characterizations, so in retrospect maybe IDW should have set this after First Contact.)
But then, I doubt seeing the Doctor, Amy and Rory on the bridge of the Enterprise E in those early publicity drawings would have triggered as much of a fanboy squee as seeing them on the D's bridge did.
Old August 18 2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Regarding how the crossover could have come about in-universe, I have a theory that the two realities of the Trekverse and the Whoniverse were somehow temporarily merged together to form a hybrid reality; this would explain how Whoniverse species like the Judoon and Slitheen could suddenly exist in the Trek galaxy.
The story suggests that the universes are merging early on (issues 3 and 4). However, the story then goes in a different direction and suggests that they're two wholly separate universes; the Cybermen's plan doesn't make sense otherwise.

I take away from Picard's trip in the TARDIS that the Judoon and the Slitheen naturally exist in the Star Trek universe. Which leads me to wonder if there's a Skaro in the Star Trek universe. And, if so, did Skaro avoid the thousand years of war? Could Davros be hailed around the Federation as a scientist and healer?

allyngibson.net
Old August 18 2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Noddy
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Regarding how the crossover could have come about in-universe, I have a theory that the two realities of the Trekverse and the Whoniverse were somehow temporarily merged together to form a hybrid reality; this would explain how Whoniverse species like the Judoon and Slitheen could suddenly exist in the Trek galaxy.
The story suggests that the universes are merging early on (issues 3 and 4). However, the story then goes in a different direction and suggests that they're two wholly separate universes; the Cybermen's plan doesn't make sense otherwise.
How so? I admit, it's been a while since I read it, so I may not be up on all the details.

Perhaps they were both separate continuums originally, when the Cybermen crossed over into the Trekverse, but then unseen events resulted in the two realities merging together somewhat. Opinions?

Last edited by Noddy; August 18 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old August 19 2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile
The Borg in Assimilation2: Electric Boogaloo

There fixed that for ya.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Demiurge
Vice Admiral

Because if it ignores basic tenets of the two settings then its a disappointing story for hard core fans.

Lots there that didn't make sense - including the fact that the Borg were completely unaware of time travel. First Contact was quite a while ago now - the average Trekkie is very aware that the Borg can time travel, let alone the Federation ships themselves.

It was a limited arc story. There was some nice characterizations, and a few interesting plot points (Guinan, the 4th Doctor and Kirk's crew), but overall I found it fell flat.

For one, the Cybermen don't rank as a higher threat in my eyes as the Borg. Indeed, they lose the Cyber-Wars against humanity in the Doctor Who continuity. The fact that the Enterprise for some reason couldn't replicate Gold seemed a large plot hole - that's never been a problem before, to the point that gold pressed latinum is considered the only currency of value because anyone with a replicator can make as much gold as they want, as stated in DS9. The human empire in the Doctor Who universe win the Cyberwars because they find a huge gold asteroid.

This appears to have been written by someone that has more knowledge of Dr. Who than Trek, odd considering IDW prints lots of Trek stories.
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Well, to be fair, Doctor Who is currently the more active and higher-profile franchise. So I can understand IDW expecting the crossover's audience to be skewed in favor of DW fans and adjusting the emphasis accordingly.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Well, to be fair, Doctor Who is currently the more active and higher-profile franchise. So I can understand IDW expecting the crossover's audience to be skewed in favor of DW fans and adjusting the emphasis accordingly.
Odd. I thought it was basically a Star Trek: The Next Generation story (specifically, one of those later season talky bottle episodes) that guest starred the Doctor. I don't think it worked as a Doctor Who story at all.

allyngibson.net