Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 29 2013, 08:12 PM   #46
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Why wasn't Worf in Code of Honor?

Timo wrote: View Post
I guess I'll never fathom what about the episode was racist.
That makes two of us. 26 years on, and I STILL don't get it.

Is it because all the guest actors were black? That in itself is not reason enough to call this episode racist.

Hell, if the guest actors were all white, you can bet we'd be hearing complaints about how the episode was racist BECAUSE of the lack of blacks.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 08:19 PM   #47
USS Excelsior
Commodore

They had them acting African with beating those drums, and stuff.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 08:35 PM   #48
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Guys... regardless of if you think the episode is just racist or just stupid or some combination thereof, it's not worth all this debate. You don't have to closely examine every feature, feel the texture and sniff it to know a piece of shit stinks.
Old August 29 2013, 10:29 PM   #49
Borjis
Commodore

Let's take a look, shall we?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Code..._%28episode%29
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 11:31 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Borjis wrote: View Post
Take a look at what exactly?

Though I do find this quote funny:

Jonathan Frakes referred to the episode as a "racist piece of shit". At a 2007 science fiction convention in Toronto, Canada, he told the audience, "The worst and most embarrassing and one that even Gene would have been embarrassed by was that horrible racist episode from the first season... Code of Honor, oh my God in heaven!"
Would have been? The episode was made on Gene's watch!
Old August 30 2013, 12:25 AM   #51
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The beard was cutting off circulation to his memory?
Old August 30 2013, 12:36 AM   #52
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
To Gene's credit, Gene fired the director of "Code of Honor" (who was responsible for the Ligonians race being cast entirely from African-American actors) during production and let Les Landau complete the episode.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 12:47 AM   #53
BillJ
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
To Gene's credit, Gene fired the director of "Code of Honor" (who was responsible for the Ligonians race being cast entirely from African-American actors) during production and let Les Landau complete the episode.
Yeah, but Gene signed off on the casting in the first place.
Old August 30 2013, 12:55 AM   #54
Dream
Admiral

Yeah, but Gene signed off on the casting in the first place.
But how was Gene suppose to know a director is racist until the episode comes out?
Old August 30 2013, 12:55 AM   #55
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

RandyS wrote: View Post
Hell, if the guest actors were all white, you can bet we'd be hearing complaints about how the episode was racist BECAUSE of the lack of blacks.
That's not really the point, though. It's not the inclusion or exclusion of black actors which strikes people as racist, it's black actors doing stereotypically black things. And whether you and I like it or not, a black man lusting after and kidnapping a white woman, a widespread and constant fear among whites, especially southern whites, for many, many years (and even among some people today), does indeed have racist connotations.

Of course, racism is subjective, and I'm sure there are black people who never found "CoH" racist, or simply weren't bothered by the stereotypes... but the defense that "it's not racist if you make the actors white" is pure nonsense. That's tantamount to saying, "it can't be racist, because if I made it not racist it wouldn't be racist anymore." Well, duh. Of course if you used a white actor doing a stereotypically black it wouldn't appear racist anymore. If "Birth of a Nation" had featured scenes in which whites ate fried chicken and watermelon, people probably wouldn't have cried racism. But the point is they were black actors, they were acting out blatant stereotypes, and it was racist.
Old August 30 2013, 01:03 AM   #56
Dream
Admiral

The big problem was the director wanting the African tribal culture and all Ligonian race to be played by black actors. The races of the Ligonian actors was never mentioned in the script. If it had been less tribal and if Lutan had perhaps have been played by a white actor, it still would have been a bad episode but I think people would have less problems with it.
Old August 30 2013, 01:15 AM   #57
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The script apparently designated only 2 guards as black, and the original director went from there. I think there was also mention of behavior that LeVar Burton and some other actors took offense at. I think the guards bit is mentioned at Memory Alpha, but not sure where I read the stuff about Burton.
Old August 30 2013, 02:46 AM   #58
BillJ
Admiral

But how was Gene suppose to know a director is racist until the episode comes out?
They had to have ordered the drums and he had to have seen the costumes that were being designed.

And since Gene also gave us multiple planets with all white people during his time running TNG, I'm not sure he had a problem with the planet of all black people nor how they were being portrayed.

It was Gene's show, he was the one in charge and is every bit as responsible for the final product as Russ Mayberry was.
Old August 30 2013, 06:27 PM   #59
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
a black man lusting after and kidnapping a white woman.
Problem with that is Luzan (sp?) didn't kidmap Yar because he was "lusting after" her, he wanted to malnipulate her into killing his wife.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 05:22 PM   #60
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It was Gene's show, he was the one in charge and is every bit as responsible for the final product as Russ Mayberry was.
Not like the concept of a scapegoat is anything new. I don't see it being a stretch at all that Gene was in on this fully and only fired the director when everyone started criticizing the episode.