Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 29 2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Why didn't the Borg...

The only real alternative to that would have been to stop telling Borg stories, though.

One thing to consider regarding ranged weapons on individual Drones is that we have never seen the Drones in a situation where they would need those! Drones are only ever tackled at extreme close quarters, typically inside their own ships or installations. The heroes have ranged weapons there, but those do them no good, because there is no range - a sidearm can be wrestled out of their hands in no time flat.

If one were ever to encounter Drones in open country, perhaps one would witness their "infantry weapons" in action... Funnily enough, Lore's rogue Borg with ranged weapons were operating in open country! Although they also used their weapons in an indoors situation where impenetrable armor combined with zombie walk would actually have been tactically more effective.

Sometimes I think people simply fail to grasp exactly how vast the Borg Collective is and, given their mentality, how little even thousands of lives mean to them.
This, and also how much time they have for doing things. They are supposedly hundreds of thousands of years old. If they upped their response to the Federation all the way to lethal levels within the mere twenty years they have been openly dealing with the hero culture, it would necessarily follow that they would have assimilated the entire galaxy already a million times over. But there's no hurry - and no need to go for 100% assimilation anyway, as that would present them with the Alexander Problem of there being no more knowledge to conquer.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:03 PM   #17
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Pretty much. The one time we see the Borg actually "live up to their potential" is in the "Destiny" trilogy of novels, and for the most part that goes exactly the way you'd expect a large-scale incursion of the Borg into Federation space to go.

DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:35 PM   #18
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

I was curious why the Borg (in "First Contact") didn't send a cube back in time in the Delta Quadrant, with enough time to travel to Earth before or around the time Zef launches the first warp ship. Why did they have to go back near Earth?
Old August 29 2013, 04:51 PM   #19
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I think the main theory about this is that the time travel was a hastily-constructed Plan B.

There was a technobabbled explanation in one of the novels that in order to time travel successfully you need to do so near the planet or what-not that you intend to impact. Hey, I didn't say it made sense.

The first DoTI novel speculates that the time travel in First Contact wasn't the Borg's idea either, which I alluded to upthread.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 11:00 PM   #20
jpv2000
Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
VOY ruined the Borg. They told us too much about them and one solitary little ship was able to best them multiple times. By the time the series ended the Borg were little more than a toothless old Grishnar cat.
I am once again glad I never watched much Voyager.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 08:07 PM   #21
Nine of Four
Commander

Some of the problems I have with Star Trek Online, if any of you play it, involving the Borg are;

1) When fighting the Borg on a planet, they use phasers, and don't attempt to assimilate you or your crew.

2) When fighting the Borg in space, with two or three other people you can defeat a squadron of 6-7 Borg spheres, a couple probes, and one sphere with relative ease.

3) As on a planet, the Borg don't attempt to assimilate your ship while fighting them in space, they simply try to destroy you.

4) On the "Daily Borg fights", you and several others have to fight off dozens of cubes, at least 60 spheres, and a Borg flagship, which in a tv series, would have taken all the ships Starfleet could possibly spare.... Remember in The Best of Both Worlds, when ONE Borg cube destroyed a fleet of FORTY Federation ships at Wolf 359, with relative ease??

5) All in all, the Borg are just to easy....
Old September 2 2013, 09:16 AM   #22
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
Some of the problems I have with Star Trek Online, if any of you play it, involving the Borg are;

1) When fighting the Borg on a planet, they use phasers, and don't attempt to assimilate you or your crew.
The Borg use plasma weaponry, and shield neutralizers, on the ground, and they can and do attempt to assimilate you: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Borg#Assimilation

Anyway, I always thought Borg drones were armed, but just never wanted to use their weapons on perfectly good raw materials which they could assimilate. I'm pretty sure Seven of Nine has an arm mounted weapon when she and the other drones first beam aboard Voyager, in the scene when Chakotay and the security team enter the cargo bay, she has her arm raised at them with what looks like one of those Borg arm weapons attached to her upper forearm:

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; September 2 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:33 AM   #23
Nine of Four
Commander

^ I stand corrected.....

I haven't play that game that much, and have never encountered assimilation.....
Old September 3 2013, 09:42 PM   #24
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Nine of Four wrote: View Post

2) When fighting the Borg in space, with two or three other people you can defeat a squadron of 6-7 Borg spheres, a couple probes, and one sphere with relative ease.

4) On the "Daily Borg fights", you and several others have to fight off dozens of cubes, at least 60 spheres, and a Borg flagship, which in a tv series, would have taken all the ships Starfleet could possibly spare.... Remember in The Best of Both Worlds, when ONE Borg cube destroyed a fleet of FORTY Federation ships at Wolf 359, with relative ease??

5) All in all, the Borg are just to easy....
Remember, the game takes place 30 years after Nemesis. 30+ years of having Voyager back, with Future Janeway's advances; 30-odd years of having Seven helping research ways to counter the Borg threat (eventually Starfleet does become complacent, after so many years of no Borg); about 35 years after the Dominion war, where it seems Starfleet became much more militarized for quite some time; and after a few years of Klingons being jerks. And remember, Future Janeway dealt a great blow to the Collective, basically making it stop being a collective, for an unknown period of time, as well as destroying a lot of Borg infrastructure. Who knows how long it took to pick up after that.
Old September 4 2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Or better yet a weapon that was saturated in nanoprobes so the instant it hit someone they wouldn't be killed or stunned but assimilated--would be a for more efficient means of conquering the galaxy.
Go one step further. Saturate the atmosphere with nanoprobes.
Old September 10 2013, 02:35 AM   #26
austen_pierce
Commander

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
VOY ruined the Borg. They told us too much about them and one solitary little ship was able to best them multiple times. By the time the series ended the Borg were little more than a toothless old Grishnar cat.
I watched just enough of these episodes to agree with you 100% on this.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 03:02 PM   #27
jpv2000
Captain

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
jpv2000 wrote: View Post
I watched just enough of these episodes to agree with you 100% on this.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote