Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 29 2013, 01:30 AM   #3016
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Actual costs are unknown to the general public. Stated costs are bullshit numbers that may or may not be in close proximity to the real thing, but there is no way for the general public to know. We can know gross receipts (easy enough to verify). The "double the production cost" calculation is useless as it is based on unverifiable numbers. Many costs are offset by sponsors/product placement, or budgeted in different departments for tax purposes. There are far too many examples of people attempting to get their fair share for work done on films with major gross receipts who've been shunted aside by the "the costs were so high there was no profit" gag that any speculation on this is rather wasted.

STiD was profitable enough for there to be a sequel. That is really all one needs to know (unless one needs to be privy to the inner financial workings of Paramount). And even if a studio flat out says a film was a financial disappointment (which I've not seen or heard about Trek in such a direct fashion), it does not mean the film was not profitable.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 02:33 AM   #3017
Devon
Fleet Captain

I would take that Forbes mention with a grain of salt. Paramount, I believe, already reported that "Into Darkness" had made a profit and there was even a story a few weeks ago about how a Chinese film group is battling Paramount over Star Trek Into Darkness' profits.
Old August 29 2013, 02:40 AM   #3018
Jax
Admiral

I would take that Forbes mention with a grain of salt
I would take Forbes and bury it. Anyone who thinks STID is not profitable is either simply wrong or Viacom/Paramounts are the worst company ever who need better accountants.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:58 PM   #3019
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Noname Given wrote: View Post
KGator wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
With all due respect, it made its money back some time ago. The budget was $190,000,000. So the profit so far has been $257,000,000.
There are dozens of pages in this thread explaining how that the ticket revenue at the theater does not just all magically get delivered to the movie studios any more than every time you buy a pair of shoes at Foot Locker that all the money goes to Nike.
There are ALSO dozens of pages in this thread where people explain how movie studios artificially inflate production budget figures as well. (IE Claim the film cost way more to make than it actually did.)
Yes, that's great but its not really relevant with my point. My point was very simply that you cannot say Movie X's budget (which you agree is an unreliable number) was $100, the ticket sales were $250 and thus the movie made $150. A pretty simplistic, naive and inaccurate statement and easily shown to be false.

Noname Given wrote: View Post
In the end, the simple fact is that STiD made $457+ million worldwide to date. If that's not enough to earn a tidy profit in itself - then it's amazing how all these 'poor money loosing studios' in Hollywood survive.
The public's fascination with "box office numbers" is cute but misguided. For the first 6 months the only movie revenue is theater ticket sales. STID will be lucky to make up their P&A (Prints and Advertising) costs with this revenue. Plus ticket sales are only somewhere in the range of 20-30% of a movie's total revenue. Currently STID has probably not even dented its Production budget.

30-50% of a movie's revenue will be DVD rental, DVD sales and Pay-per-view. The last big portion will be the television licensing fees which is almost pure profit producing revenue due to the major studios incestuous relationships with networks these days.

In addition a franchise like Star Trek can make more from merchandising and other licensing agreements than your typical Hollywood movie do to books, toys, comics, etc.

Also, I am not talking about the creative accounting done by the movie studios where movies like Forrest Gump, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Return of the Jedi, Harry Potter, etc, have never made a profit. That's just an example of the big Hollywood Studios ripping off actors, writers, directors, etc, and avoiding paying any taxes. Obviously the people who are important are making money hand over fist. That kind of BS accounting, however, is a discussion in itself.

STID might never be listed as making an official profit but a lot of people will make a lot of money and that will lead to a sequel which is all people around here really care about.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:14 PM   #3020
ralph
Captain

I am disappointed with Japan box office. I expected more from them. Only $4,166,687.
Old August 29 2013, 06:15 PM   #3021
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I am so calling BS on that... in what universe did Harry Potter not make a profit?!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 08:10 PM   #3022
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

ralph wrote: View Post
I am disappointed with Japan box office. I expected more from them. Only $4,166,687.
They probably just gave up and illegally downloaded it due to frustration because it took so long to come out.
Old August 29 2013, 09:04 PM   #3023
serenitytrek1
Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I heard that all the film's special features are been split into different DVDs of the film. Apparently screenrants reports that if you want to get all the special features you have to buy all the dvds which will cost you $85.

how cute (SCARSAM) for Paramount to rip off Trek fans.
I'll just watch them on Youtube.

Same as me... LOL

Paramount seems to have forgotten that we live in the age of the internet. A lot of us can just watch everything and more online.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 09:20 PM   #3024
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Paramount seems to have forgotten that we live in the age of the internet. A lot of us can just watch everything and more online.
And that's probably why they did this.
Old August 29 2013, 09:43 PM   #3025
Vyse
Lieutenant

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I heard that all the film's special features are been split into different DVDs of the film. Apparently screenrants reports that if you want to get all the special features you have to buy all the dvds which will cost you $85.

how cute (SCARSAM) for Paramount to rip off Trek fans.
I'll just watch them on Youtube.
Same here. I just don't want to hear Paramount whine about piracy when they pull this stuff.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 10:16 PM   #3026
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

[this post has been moved to Blu-Ray/DVD thread]
Yes, but what has any of that to do with the box-office figures for... anywhere?

Edit: The above post and subsequent posts replying to it have been moved to the appropriate thread.

Last edited by M'Sharak; August 30 2013 at 01:21 AM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 10:55 PM   #3027
Flake
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
They probably just gave up and illegally downloaded it due to frustration because it took so long to come out.
I think the Japan Box office is solid so far and it could treble or quadruple that opening which would be excellent imho.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 01:46 PM   #3028
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

As far as marketing goes, it's been discussed but it wasn't particularly good. I really really enjoyed the movie, but went in fearing the worst because outside of the Vengeance/Enterprise poster, it made it look a bit crap.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 03:25 PM   #3029
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Flake wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
I think the Japan Box office is solid so far and it could treble or quadruple that opening which would be excellent imho.
It will probably do 5-7 times its opening weekend numbers. However its opening weekend (weekends in Japan are just Sat and Sun because most movies open on Sat) was only $2 million. The 4.2 million people are quoting is acutally Fri-Sat plus the previous weekends preview weekend (Fri-Sat). So 4.2 is a 6 day total of two weekends. There is virtually no way STID can quadruple that number. To even treble it would mean it has great legs.

It will probably end up $11-12 million with a floor of around $9mil and a ceiling in the $14-15 range. Pacific Rim (another Hollywood Sci-Fi flick) opened around $2.1 million for its opening weekend and after 3 weeks has just under $12 million total. PR also had the benefit of a holiday in its first week.

The Japanese box office will be about a $10 million boost to STID's box office totals. It was never expected to be more than that. STID has not been a box office smash overseas. It has performed about average, maybe a little above. Oblivion and After Earth both made close to $200 mil overseas despite making a third to a quarter of what STID did domestically. STID is going to end up being very similar to Oz The Great and Powerful in both domestic and overseas numbers (about $7 million below domestically and $25 million less overseas).
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 06:18 PM   #3030
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Damn you, Eggs Benedict Khanberbatch, you were supposed to be a god to those people!