RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 394
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2013, 03:43 AM   #7171
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
He used to be, anyway. Does he really have a connection with the greater DCU anymore? Was he ever a part of the Teen Titans?
Dick in the new 52 seems to be only connected with Batman. He was approached to join the League, but did not. He is not connected to any of the Titans characters (Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven have never been Titans it seems; Wally and Donna don't exist). He never had his Outsiders. The most he could have done was have a few adventures with other heroes during his "brief" stint as Robin.
This gets at what something important the New 52 has lost -- or rather, never had.

The original Dick Grayson was Robin from eight until his early twenties. He grew up as a superhero. He was friends with everyone in a cape, cowl, or mask. Everyone knew him, everyone respected him, and he could relate to everyone. Being a superhero was the only thing he ever knew, really. And because of who he was and who he knew, that made him the emotional center of the DC Universe.

The New 52 Dick Grayson is just another vigilante in a mask. He lost his parents in his late teens, he worked as Robin for a year, changed to Nightwing, had a brief tenure as Batman. There's nothing special about the New 52 Dick Grayson. He's just another mask.
Another thing I was thinking about today was that Dick was the bridge between the older and younger generations. The older heroes had seen him grow up into a young man and respected him as such. The younger heroes looked up to him as a mentor and a leader. It wasn't just Dick that was lost by the reboot but the new generation of "legacy" heroes that DC had done a great job of developing over the previous fifteen years or so.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 09:17 PM   #7172
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

This is interesting...has Scott Lobdell been taken off or left "Superman"?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/...-off-superman/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 09:20 PM   #7173
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Great news if true.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 09:47 PM   #7174
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps DC is paving the way for the rumoured arrival of John Jr and Mike Johnson is doing fill in work?

Old August 26 2013, 10:42 PM   #7175
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
He used to be, anyway. Does he really have a connection with the greater DCU anymore? Was he ever a part of the Teen Titans?
Dick in the new 52 seems to be only connected with Batman. He was approached to join the League, but did not. He is not connected to any of the Titans characters (Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven have never been Titans it seems; Wally and Donna don't exist). He never had his Outsiders. The most he could have done was have a few adventures with other heroes during his "brief" stint as Robin.
This gets at what something important the New 52 has lost -- or rather, never had.

The original Dick Grayson was Robin from eight until his early twenties. He grew up as a superhero. He was friends with everyone in a cape, cowl, or mask. Everyone knew him, everyone respected him, and he could relate to everyone. Being a superhero was the only thing he ever knew, really. And because of who he was and who he knew, that made him the emotional center of the DC Universe.

The New 52 Dick Grayson is just another vigilante in a mask. He lost his parents in his late teens, he worked as Robin for a year, changed to Nightwing, had a brief tenure as Batman. There's nothing special about the New 52 Dick Grayson. He's just another mask.
Exactly, this event just exposes another of the myriad of issues with the nu52.
The editors and PTB want the character and his role in this story to happen with the stated reason of him being the "heart and soul" of things but the reality is not in this version of the universe. They are addressing the Dick Grayson of yesteryear, playing to our recollections of what was, not what is within the nu52. I guess it's possible the lines are so blurred they don't even realize that's what they are doing.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:00 AM   #7176
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Absolutely loved "Wonder Woman #23" from last week. Love everything Azzy is doing in this book, and I've talked about Cliff Chiang's art before and am running out of things to say about it.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; August 28 2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old August 28 2013, 02:19 AM   #7177
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Because I was barely paying attention, and Captain Atom was fucking unreadable... Can some one explain Nathan's timeline how that he's also a 31st century timecop as well as a 21st century super hero?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:54 AM   #7178
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Absolutely loved "Wonder Woman #23" from last week. Love everything Azzy is doing in this art and I've talked about Cliff Chiang's art before and am running out of things to say about it.
I thought he really managed to do something unique with his version of Ares. He made him unique, but also something sympathetic without trying to whitewash what he was. Of course there is a lot of influences in regards from Gaiman's Endless here.

Also WW related, but Morrison in Kevin Smith's Batman Podcast laid out how he is going to approach his Earth One Wonder Woman, which is back to basics of the original Marston run.
Old August 28 2013, 04:27 AM   #7179
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Absolutely loved "Wonder Woman #23" from last week. Love everything Azzy is doing in this art and I've talked about Cliff Chiang's art before and am running out of things to say about it.
I thought he really managed to do something unique with his version of Ares. He made him unique, but also something sympathetic without trying to whitewash what he was. Of course there is a lot of influences in regards from Gaiman's Endless here.

Also WW related, but Morrison in Kevin Smith's Batman Podcast laid out how he is going to approach his Earth One Wonder Woman, which is back to basics of the original Marston run.
So....bondage?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:34 AM   #7180
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Actually he does mention how chains will be a pervasive element within the Amazon society and he does think the sexual elements played an important part in the original's success.
Old August 28 2013, 05:06 AM   #7181
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

@House of UIster. Agreed about Ares/War. Also loved the line from Hell/Hades saying that Diana would make a great God of War. I'm very much looking forward to reading Morrison's Earth One when it comes out.

Old August 28 2013, 06:25 AM   #7182
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This is what I like.

Why Diana leaves immortal lesbian Paradise Island?

In the 40s it's Hitler.

In the 80s it's Nuclear Weapons.

Until recently it's been about feminism and peace.

(BORING!)

These days, there is no reason.

She just kills people or/and gods that get in her way while muddling about.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 09:31 PM   #7183
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Aquaman #23 was good but did not give me all the closure I needed regarding Xebel, Atlantis and Scavenger. What about getting Orm out of prison? Then that ending with Vulko sitting vigil

I had thought this issue would wrap a tad neater going into Villains month. Does this story not wrap till after, it was part 5, but still.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 10:26 PM   #7184
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

So I was listening to "More Morrison" on Fat Man On Batman and Morrison mentions that his Earth One book has a title (or a subtitle) "Wonder Woman: The Trial of Diana Prince" and that he is presenting the book as Diana going through a trial. I'm guessing we won't see this until the Spring or Summer of next year as he also mentions Yannick Paquette has only finished 20 pages of his 120 page script so far.

Old August 29 2013, 10:50 PM   #7185
Mr Light
Admiral

That's the artist? That's a shame. I haven't cared for any of the artists on his entire Bat Inc run. He deserves better.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote