Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 29 2013, 02:53 PM   #136
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Any hints as to when the review will be up? It would be nice to be able to make an informed decision on if I should cancel my existing preorder and get a different version before the film is released.
We're working on it now.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 02:56 PM   #137
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Aatrek wrote: View Post
Any hints as to when the review will be up? It would be nice to be able to make an informed decision on if I should cancel my existing preorder and get a different version before the film is released.
We're working on it now. It'll be at least another day or three, since there's SO MUCH additional stuff to dig in to.
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we appreciate your effort! IMO TrekCore has become the go-to place for up-to-date information. Thanks for the hard work and quality content!
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:04 PM   #138
Anika Hanson
Captain

Any difference between the standard blu ray and the steel book apart from the packaging. It only cost £2 more for the steel book but I just bought the Samsung S4 so trying to save some money. At the moment I have the standard blu ray on pre-order.
Old August 29 2013, 03:17 PM   #139
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

RollTide1017 wrote: View Post
It has been confirmed on Blu-ray.com that if you buy the BD and use the digital copy code for the iTunes version you get all the iTunes extras, including the enhanced commentary, as well. Still not as good as having it on the disc but, at least we'll have access to it. Also, the digital copy code works for both UV and iTunes and it let's you get both, no need to choose.

Also, iTunes extras can not be played on iPhones, iPads or iPods, it can only be played back through iTunes on a Mac or PC. If you have an AppleTV, you can use AirPlay to stream it from iTunes to your TV. This is the big down side to iTunes extras, you are very limited in how you can watch them.

I really want to know if there is a difference, and what that difference may be, between the exclusive extras from Best Buy and Target. I look forward to the TrekCore review, hope it is out before the actual release otherwise I will go with the Target version.
Since the digi version will at least give *access* to the commentary I'm somewhat off the 'ledge' - still - even if it were accessible via portables (It's moronic that it isn't) why in the world would you fire up your 3D blu on your TV then listen to the audio on a portable device?
Old August 29 2013, 03:24 PM   #140
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Well, just four days to go in the UK, so I'll know what's what next Monday. For me, bonus content is not really that important, nice to skip through once, but not a deal breaker. Seemingly, the disc is going to be a reference quality transfer in terms of both sound and picture, and that for me, is all I'm bothered about.
Old August 29 2013, 03:25 PM   #141
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I plan on getting the Bluray with the digital code so I can have both.
Old August 29 2013, 03:46 PM   #142
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I put my hand up to ask about the release for non-Region1 and non-RegionA, are any of the extra commentary/features available to us?
Although it seems the US is having a hard time figuring out what's available there.
If anyone figures it out can you eventually spare a thought for us out-of-towners?

OK we saw the movie first, maybe this is our punishment. LOL.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:54 PM   #143
trekker670
Fleet Captain

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I put my hand up to ask about the release for non-Region1 and non-RegionA, are any of the extra commentary/features available to us?
Although it seems the US is having a hard time figuring out what's available there.
If anyone figures it out can you eventually spare a thought for us out-of-towners?

This may not be the case this time around, but in the past non-US releases often had the retailer exclusives included with the standard release. This was the case with the Best Buy exclusives both on DVD and the recent Blurays. Although the TV shows are handled by another company than the films.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:55 PM   #144
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

You could read TheDigitalBits.com Bill Hunt's review for now. It's pretty good:

http://www.digitalbits.com/item/star...to-darkness-bd
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:09 PM   #145
Tosk
Rear Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post

This may not be the case this time around, but in the past non-US releases often had the retailer exclusives included with the standard release. This was the case with the Best Buy exclusives both on DVD and the recent Blurays. Although the TV shows are handled by another company than the films.
From the listings I have seen so far, UK/Aus are not getting any extras beyond the standard US Blu release. Not a guarantee though, just what I have found so far.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:29 PM   #146
GNDN
Commodore

Just cancelled my pre-order for the 3D edition on Amazon.

Didn't want to do this, but I can't support Paramount's choice in splitting up all the worthwhile extras. I may purchase one version or another once they're all reviewed and it's clear what is where, or maybe there will be a double-dip edition that restores everything into one set.

Till then any excitement I had over this BluRay release has gone, and if I feel the need to see the movie I'll find another way.
Old August 29 2013, 04:57 PM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Jeyl wrote: View Post
And to think that some Star Trek fans called the folks working on the TNG BluRay sets talentless hacks.
I don't think this decision came from the folks actually working on the product. It likely came from a far higher pay-grade.

As far as the discs go, I'll pick up whatever version is sitting on the retailers shelf on the 10th then pick up the uber-edition down the road. I've already payed for multiple distinct releases for TOS and TNG, picking up two versions of a film will seem like a drop in the bucket compared to the money I've already shelled out for various season sets over the decades.
Old August 29 2013, 05:09 PM   #148
HaplessCrewman
Commander

Looks like IGN has a breakdown of all the versions out on Sept. 10.

The Target version has the ugliest artwork (who is their audience?) but their "exclusives" seem the most substantial.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...lusive-preview
Old August 29 2013, 05:53 PM   #149
Jeyl
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't think this decision came from the folks actually working on the product. It likely came from a far higher pay-grade.
I know. They were referring the individual two-parter BluRays that had exclusive bonus content on them.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:21 PM   #150
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

And to think that some Star Trek fans called the folks working on the TNG BluRay sets talentless hacks.
Most of the "some Star Trek fans" to whom you refer post in this forum rarely or not at all, so why bring it up here?

That aside, you know perfectly well that swipes at other fan groups are out-of-bounds. So don't do that.

BillJ wrote: View Post
From one of the Digital Bits pieces which was cited upthread:
That’s right: More than half of the special features created for Star Trek Into Darkness were used by Paramount’s marketing team as retailer exclusives.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote