Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 28 2013, 07:07 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: Who created M'Ress?

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
Do not ... EVER ... mention Bat-Mite!
But he just wants to help!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:32 PM   #62
Redfern
Commodore

Well, he can just help himself into this wood chipper right here. Along with Urko, Fuzz, Peepo and every other annoying comic relief character Filmation blighted us with.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:40 PM   #63
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

I wish I could blame Filmation for Scrappy-Doo.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:57 PM   #64
Redfern
Commodore

I forgot where I read it, so I don't have anything to back up my following statements. Just take it for what it's worth.

When developing the initial Scooby concept, several ideas were tossed around. One was that the teens would be musicians, but then considered that might be too much to juggle in the episodes. Later series (not Scooby shows) would employ that bit after all. Of greater import would be the role of the dog. One idea was to make him large but cowardly, the Scooby we actually got. The other was the opposite, a pocket sized mutt that wouldn't back down, basically Scrappy.

Funny how all those ideas wound up being used one way or another.

For all its debated faults, at least the animated Trek did NOT force a cute mascot comic relief character upon us. If that had happened, I don't think there'd be ANY debate whether or not Kirk and company had those missions! Fans would demand the master negatives be burned!

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 28 2013, 08:24 PM   #65
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Redfern wrote: View Post
For all its debated faults, at least the animated Trek did NOT force a cute mascot comic relief character upon us. If that had happened, I don't think there'd be ANY debate whether or not Kirk and company had those missions! Fans would demand the master negatives be burned!
^ Amen.

As annoying as Scrappy is on his own, the worst thing about him is what he does to the concept of Scooby (and this is true of Scooby-Dum and Scooby-Dee as well). Instead of a remarkable quasi-talking dog, Scooby-Doo becomes a talking dog with a speech impediment.

Sorry for the topic drift. (corrects course)
Old August 28 2013, 08:47 PM   #66
Christopher
Writer

Then how do you explain Wesley Crusher?

(Sorry... couldn't resist the cheap shot.)

For that matter, Chekov was kind of a cute mascot comic relief character himself....

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:53 PM   #67
Redfern
Commodore

No need to apologize. I mucked with the rudder nyself and I started the thread.

Back to the topic of "who created M'Ress," it was suggested Dorothy Fontana would be the best source for that potential information. Alas (and understandably) the more direct lines of communication such as an e-mail, FaceBook or Twitter type account seems to be lacking. So posing the question directly to her will be a challenge. (I will admit I have not dug too deep into the matter.) I think one first has to have an account with the Internet Movie DataBase and through it one can obtain a link with a university with which she is affiliated.

Hmm, Alan Dean Foster... I wonder if he can be more readily reached? After all, he novelized the episodes. In theory, one can at least ask him if he made up her family members or if he worked from information already written within a "series bible".

I think I'll see if he has a site e-mail like David Gerrold does.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 28 2013, 11:28 PM   #68
jpv2000
Captain

I would have been one of them. I hated all those mascot character in cartoons even as a child and would not watch any of them.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:17 AM   #69
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Fine, she's a cute girl in a cat-suit. We all like those, of course. But Arex was an actual alien-looking alien. Or at least more so than we usually saw amongst Starfleet personnel. That's gotta count for something, right?
One would hope so
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 12:50 PM   #70
Redfern
Commodore

Lieut. Arex wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
Fine, she's a cute girl in a cat-suit. We all like those, of course. But Arex was an actual alien-looking alien. Or at least more so than we usually saw amongst Starfleet personnel. That's gotta count for something, right?
One would hope so
Well, at least you, or rather, your namesake gets a glorious cameo in the latest "Star Trek: Phase II" production, complete with full body establishing shots and close-ups. He even has the honor of Jimmy Doohan's son voicing him, continuing his father's work.

A future production, may, not will, just may have a shot of Uhura wiping down her station for loose hairs suggesting M'ress was sitting there earlier.

You got a far better tribute.

Sincerely,

Bill

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 29 2013, 01:04 PM   #71
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

The inclusion of the character or species in a later production would have been a thrill TVH did so though not explicitly with the cat aliens in the council scenes
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:28 PM   #72
Redfern
Commodore

True, I can't deny that. I was just thinking about relatively current material, be it "official' or "fan created". And in that regard, your namesake still got the better deal. Not just an alien that could...or might not be Edoan. He's irrefutably Edoan and is directly addressed as "Arex". Plus, he got a couple of lines.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 29 2013, 01:39 PM   #73
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

although Arex never appears, "Crier" features a triple-keyboarded musical instrument identified as an "Edoan elisiar."
If you noticed, blond Mr Connors (below left) has seemingly been redrawn. Throughout the comic of "The Crier in Emptiness", he has weird body posture, and its easy to imagine where Arex's extra leg and arm originally were penciled or inked. Check the position of his fingers! Similarly, "Connors" is poorly pasted over a shorter name in the speech balloons.

Edoan Elisiar instrument by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Hmm, Alan Dean Foster... I wonder if he can be more readily reached? After all, he novelized the episodes. In theory, one can at least ask him if he made up her family members or if he worked from information already written within a "series bible".
IIRC, ADF is an infrequent visitor here on the BBS. He responded to a question I asked when his novelization for the 2009 Trek movie was published.

http://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/frameset.htm

Email the author at: adf@alandeanfoster.com

Last edited by Therin of Andor; August 29 2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: ADF's home page URL added
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:52 PM   #74
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

If you noticed, blond Mr Connors (below left) has seemingly been redrawn. Throughout the comic of "The Crier in Emptiness", he has weird body posture, and its easy to imagine where Arex's extra leg and arm originally were penciled or inked. Check the position of his fingers! Similarly, "Connors" is poorly pasted over a shorter name in the speech balloons.

I always wondered why Connors would be in possession of, and able to play, an Edoan instrument. The pasted-over name is further proof of a substitution. I wonder why they were able to use M'Ress but not Arex.
Old August 29 2013, 02:03 PM   #75
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I wonder why they were able to use M'Ress but not Arex.
Power Records used M'Ress's name and race, but she was drawn as a bluish humanoid (seemingly based upon Marta the green Orion from TOS). Perhaps that audio script had already been recorded?

Passage to Moauv by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

It appears that the problem was with the physical look of the supporting characters of TAS. Perhaps there was too much red tape working out if Filmation would be owed $$$? We also have a blonde, caucasian Uhura and a Sulu with dark skin and an afro hairstyle.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote