Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 16 2013, 10:32 PM   #61
Opus
Commodore

Re: Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

There are more than a few reasons I stay away from the theater:

1.) Cost - I do not see paying $10+ for a movie I am unsure I will enjoy, or think is worth the cost knowing in a short time I can rent, buy or watch on TV at home for free.

2.) The "Experience" - I do not enjoy going to the theater often because I find people to be loud and rude. I didn't pay $10+ to see a movie AND listen to you talk to your friend on a cellphone about your cold ravioli you sent back to the kitchen 3 times before they got it right. I hope they spit in it. STFU!

3.) Also, most theaters are disgusting - floors and seats are sticky. OK, I'm a germaphobe. And people are pigs. At one time, going to the theater was akin to class. Now? Not so much...

Fix that part about going to the movies, and I might decide to go more than two or three times a year.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 10:52 PM   #62
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
There are more than a few reasons I stay away from the theater:

1.) Cost - I do not see paying $10+ for a movie I am unsure I will enjoy, or think is worth the cost knowing in a short time I can rent, buy or watch on TV at home for free.

2.) The "Experience" - I do not enjoy going to the theater often because I find people to be loud and rude. I didn't pay $10+ to see a movie AND listen to you talk to your friend on a cellphone about your cold ravioli you sent back to the kitchen 3 times before they got it right. I hope they spit in it. STFU!

3.) Also, most theaters are disgusting - floors and seats are sticky. OK, I'm a germaphobe. And people are pigs. At one time, going to the theater was akin to class. Now? Not so much...

Fix that part about going to the movies, and I might decide to go more than two or three times a year.
All very good points.

Movies I have in theaters in the last ten years, in order...

Dark Knight Rises
Red Lights (Free)
Inception
Jurassic Park 3

Old June 17 2013, 05:20 PM   #63
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

They do the tiered pricing here, too. Cheaper on Weekdays,Tuesday is cheap price all day (at a lot of places) and Wednesday, if you're with a certain Mobile Network, it's 2 for 1. More expensive Weekends and evenings.

Certain chains have membership cards that save you money, Cineworld has an Unlimited card which means you pay a subscription and you can go to any showing of any film and as many films as you like.
Old June 19 2013, 04:10 PM   #64
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
"you're gonna have to pay $25 for the next Iron Man, you're probably only going to have to pay $7 to see Lincoln."
Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
George Lucas agreed that massive changes are afoot, including film exhibition morphing somewhat into a Broadway play model, whereby fewer movies are released, they stay in theaters for a year and ticket prices are much higher. His prediction prompted Spielberg to recall that his 1982 film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial stayed in theaters for a year and four months.
I'm really late to the party, but what a load of malarkey.

Nobody is going to pay $25 for a feature, not unless we're talking about the effect of inflation many decades from now. If movies got to be that expensive, people would just pirate them, completely defeating the purpose.
Old June 19 2013, 05:00 PM   #65
propita
Rear Admiral

We don't go to the movies much anymore. First it was Hubby's school, then his work, then my school, that left little time for movies. Back when the LOTR came out, those were the ONLY movies we saw in the theater during that time. Now, we just don't like the prices. We DO go for a few--got free tickets for Monsters, Inc. 3D re-release, saw Hobbit 3D with a friend, and we saw Les Miz for the big screen effects. And we went when they were live-televising a Les Miz Special live from London--that we paid $22 each for. Not too much else.

Hubby prefers to get dvds/blurays. We have over 300 blurays/dvds of movies and tv shows. I keep an alphabetized list in my computer and phone, just to make sure we don't unintentionally double dip.

When our big tv goes, we'll be getting a 60" or 70" just for watching at home. Prices on new sets have come down a lot in the last few years, but our tv has such a wonderful image that we just don't want to get rid of it yet, not even to give it to family. When it goes, I told Hubby to get any tv he wants--our viewing distance will be about 12' away, so that's good, too, for large screen.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:43 PM   #66
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

L.A. Mayor Declares State of ‘Emergency’ As Movie, TV Production Flees Hollywood
http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/l-a...od-1200589182/
“The assumption is, if you are going to shoot a feature, you are going to shoot out of town,”
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 12:29 AM   #67
Harvey
Admiral

I'm confused how an article about runaway production has anything to do with this thread. The headline sure is eye-catching, but the reporting is old news if you pay attention to the film industry.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 11:18 AM   #68
MacLeod
Admiral

So basically in a free-market economy L.A. is losing out to other places in the USA and/or around the world. Well as the saying goes that's buisness.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote