IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 29 2013, 09:08 AM   #196
The Haunting
Admiral

Re: Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Sci wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Or maybe Eccleston like myself and many others are fed up with all these giant plot twists and complicated shit that goes on. And with Moffat, he always marks an occasion with some stupid "altering the universe with complicated plot twists" crap that Eccleston may not like, and I get the feeling he's a bit more down to Earth with the show.
Yes, that's it. Clearly. Christopher Eccleston, acclaimed actor of stage and screen, declined to shoot a Doctor Who anniversary episode because he's upset we never found out why the 52nd Century Anglican Church allied itself with the Order of the Headless Monks and the Silence.
apparently it keeps him awake at night!
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Bacl wrote: View Post
You realize, of course, that since Eccleston DID take the meeting with Moffat, that he was most certainly told what the episode was about and maybe even shown a few pages of script.

He's an authentic, true guy.

Maybe he turned it down because it looked terrible, or because he felt all this "The Doctor is really an evil monster!" crap was...well, crap.

For people who ARE NOT excited about the 50th based upon hints at plot, Eccleston turning down the 50th is very likely good validation that it is a terrible, hurtful story. More Moffat crap.

Also, Moffat seemed very impatient and irritated with Eccleston, and I totally believe that Eccleston showed up, and Moffat treated him like crap, and Eccleston said screw it.
Yeah, I think Moffat also treated John Barrowman with crap too. I heard rumours that he was asked to come back for series 6 (probably to join Amy Rory and River in episodes 1 & 2) but turned it down because he had scheduling conflicts, so couldn't' do it, and after that Moffat's in a sulk and that's probably why he's not in the 50th. So from what I've heard of how Moffat treated Eccleston and Barrowman, no wonder Eccleston declined. From what I've heard, Moffat sounds like an impatient git who writes only for himself.

Or maybe Eccleston like myself and many others are fed up with all these giant plot twists and complicated shit that goes on. And with Moffat, he always marks an occasion with some stupid "altering the universe with complicated plot twists" crap that Eccleston may not like, and I get the feeling he's a bit more down to Earth with the show.
Or maybe you're confusing your own feelings about Moffatt with Eccleston's own, unknown-to-us, reasons for not appearing in the episode.
You know I think you might be on to something there...

As for Moffat, he can come off a bit smug and arrogant, but I think that comes with the territory, RTD could also. There's very few reports come out of people being unable to work with him however (former executive producer not withstanding) the main issue people have with him is how long he takes to write his episodes! But having read interviews with Gaiman where he explained how much work just writing one episode entailed it may be that Moffat isn't that unusual in this respect, and that maybe RTD was just a bit of a (in the nicest possible terms) freak in terms of how quickly he could turn scripts around

Eccelston at least talked to Moffat which he didn't have to do. It may be that he wasn't interested but was being polite, it may be that it was a situation like Nimoy with Generations, he didn't see the point of coming back just for a few minutes of screen time.

Or maybe Moffat spat on him, called him a gruff Northern bastard and told him to eff off

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 09:14 AM   #197
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Did he shoot your dog or something? Your comments here are most of the nature of someone with a personal grudge than someone watching a TV show.
I apologize if I sounded abrasive, that was not my intent.
Old August 29 2013, 09:15 AM   #198
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Yes, that's it. Clearly. Christopher Eccleston, acclaimed actor of stage and screen, declined to shoot a Doctor Who anniversary episode because he's upset we never found out why the 52nd Century Anglican Church allied itself with the Order of the Headless Monks and the Silence.
apparently it keeps him awake at night!

Yeah, I think Moffat also treated John Barrowman with crap too. I heard rumours that he was asked to come back for series 6 (probably to join Amy Rory and River in episodes 1 & 2) but turned it down because he had scheduling conflicts, so couldn't' do it, and after that Moffat's in a sulk and that's probably why he's not in the 50th. So from what I've heard of how Moffat treated Eccleston and Barrowman, no wonder Eccleston declined. From what I've heard, Moffat sounds like an impatient git who writes only for himself.

Or maybe you're confusing your own feelings about Moffatt with Eccleston's own, unknown-to-us, reasons for not appearing in the episode.
You know I think you might be on to something there...

As for Moffat, he can come off a bit smug and arrogant, but I think that comes with the territory, RTD could also. There's very few reports come out of people being unable to work with him however (former executive producer not withstanding) the main issue people have with him is how long he takes to write his episodes! But having read interviews with Gaiman where he explained how much work just writing one episode entailed it may be that Moffat isn't that unusual in this respect, and that maybe RTD was just a bit of a (in the nicest possible terms) freak in terms of how quickly he could turn scripts around

Eccelston at least talked to Moffat which he didn't have to do. It may be that he wasn't interested but was being polite, it may be that it was a situation like Nimoy with Generations, he didn't see the point of coming back just for a few minutes of screen time.

Or maybe Moffat spat on him, called him a gruff Northern bastard and told him to eff off
RTD was a workaholic who, from reading The Writer's Tale, was working away through Christmas and New Year and all hours. Whereas Moffat has a family life to attend to. I don't suppose it's a big mystery there.

As for the reason Eccleston didn't do the 50th, it was definitely the last one. Or maybe it just worked out to not be workable for various reasons? Real life is hardly ever simple.
Old August 29 2013, 12:20 PM   #199
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
This is purely me wondering out loud. I have never heard anything one way or the other, but what was Eccleston's relationship with Billie Piper like during their time filming series one? Have either of them ever said anything about it?

*If* they didn't get along, I could see Eccleston maybe not wanting to work with her again. But again, I don't know if they got along or not.

And again, where are people getting this "Moffat treats people like crap" stuff? I've never seen hint of that anywhere, except from some fans making inferences because they don't like Moffat's writing and the fact that he can come off as pretty glib in interviews.
I'm not sure about Eccelston's relationship with Piper, last little tidbit I recall it had to do with Show Politics and Party Butt Kissing, I believe.

Moffat treating folks like crap, never heard anything about treating The Actors poorly, but, there was that whole Skinner kerfluffle

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 12:45 PM   #200
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Eccleston wasn't invited to Piper's wedding, whereas Tennant and others were. But then again, how many people invite to their wedding someone with whom they worked for less than a year some time ago? Just because they weren't close doesn't mean they didn't get on.

I believe Eccleston and Barrowman didn't hit it off, according to the latter.
Old August 29 2013, 12:51 PM   #201
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Eccleston wasn't invited to Piper's wedding, whereas Tennant and others were. But then again, how many people invite to their wedding someone with whom they worked for less than a year some time ago? Just because they weren't close doesn't mean they didn't get on.

Yea, Weddings aren't something you invite everyone you ever worked with just because you've worked with them. As far as Tennant, there's lots of news indicating they have a close friendship, so, it's natural he'd be invited.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:12 PM   #202
The Haunting
Admiral

Heck I know people who don't invite people they work with now to their weddings!

I can see Eccleston in a work environment taking things too seriously, and I can also see Barrowman not taking things seriously enough so that kinda makes sense. I suspect they're oil and water.

Old August 29 2013, 01:17 PM   #203
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Heck I know people who don't invite people they work with now to their weddings!

I can see Eccleston in a work environment taking things too seriously, and I can also see Barrowman not taking things seriously enough so that kinda makes sense. I suspect they're oil and water.
Barrowman can be annoying enough to just watch, can imagine working with him could be a nightmare.
Old August 29 2013, 01:20 PM   #204
The Haunting
Admiral

I always tend to imagine he's really good fun, but only in small doses...possibly very small doses

Old August 29 2013, 01:24 PM   #205
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

I always tend to imagine he's really good fun, but only in small doses...possibly very small doses
"Hey John, do you want to hang out for like 5 minutes or so?"
Old August 29 2013, 01:27 PM   #206
The Haunting
Admiral

Well maybe 10...

Old August 29 2013, 01:50 PM   #207
The Wormhole
Admiral

I remember in an interview done around the time of the S3 finale arc, Barrowman was asked to compare working with Tennant and with Eccleston, and he said Tennant was a "happier person" than Eccleston. But that's all I remember hearing about the working relationship between the two.
Old August 29 2013, 02:30 PM   #208
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
This is purely me wondering out loud. I have never heard anything one way or the other, but what was Eccleston's relationship with Billie Piper like during their time filming series one? Have either of them ever said anything about it?
I don't know that Eccleston has ever spoken about working with Piper. Piper, on the other hand, has occasionally said things about working with Eccleston. Nothing bad. In comparison to Tennant, she found him to be very professional and very serious.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 02:35 PM   #209
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Eccleston wasn't invited to Piper's wedding, whereas Tennant and others were.
Maybe he was invited but he decided not to come for personal reasons he chose not to disclose to anyone.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:24 PM   #210
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Eccleston wasn't invited to Piper's wedding, whereas Tennant and others were.
Maybe he was invited but he decided not to come for personal reasons he chose not to disclose to anyone.
Zing!