Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 28 2013, 07:27 PM   #181
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
At the very least, he must have been very naive to play an iconic family/children's-orientated role like The Doctor and not think about things like having his face on merchandise. There have been DW toys for as long as I remember.
I don't know that that was ever an issue with Eccleston.

It was certainly an issue with Benedict Cumberbatch, as he cited that as a reason for not taking the role after Tennant's departure.
I didn't think Cumberbatch was ever up for the role ofthe Doctor or was taht the reason he didn't try our for the part?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:29 PM   #182
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Bacl wrote: View Post
You realize, of course, that since Eccleston DID take the meeting with Moffat, that he was most certainly told what the episode was about and maybe even shown a few pages of script.

He's an authentic, true guy.

Maybe he turned it down because it looked terrible, or because he felt all this "The Doctor is really an evil monster!" crap was...well, crap.

For people who ARE NOT excited about the 50th based upon hints at plot, Eccleston turning down the 50th is very likely good validation that it is a terrible, hurtful story. More Moffat crap.

Also, Moffat seemed very impatient and irritated with Eccleston, and I totally believe that Eccleston showed up, and Moffat treated him like crap, and Eccleston said screw it.
...or maybe he just wasn't interested in the story.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:33 PM   #183
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
At the very least, he must have been very naive to play an iconic family/children's-orientated role like The Doctor and not think about things like having his face on merchandise. There have been DW toys for as long as I remember.
I don't know that that was ever an issue with Eccleston.

It was certainly an issue with Benedict Cumberbatch, as he cited that as a reason for not taking the role after Tennant's departure.
I didn't think Cumberbatch was ever up for the role ofthe Doctor or was taht the reason he didn't try our for the part?
I think this was in reply to a hypothetical question; the subject of him playing The Doctor seems to come up a lot and this was his answer to one of those 'so, would you be interested in...?' questions.
L
Old August 28 2013, 08:42 PM   #184
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

^Yes, Brendan Moody has corrected that. I didn't actually introduce the merchandise point though, I simply made that remark in response to Sindatur's reference to lunchboxes (which he's admitted was crossed wires in his part).
My apologies. I genuinely didn't see Brendan's reply.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:51 PM   #185
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ no problem.
Old August 28 2013, 10:31 PM   #186
Green Lantern
Captain

You realize, of course, that since Eccleston DID take the meeting with Moffat, that he was most certainly told what the episode was about and maybe even shown a few pages of script.

Maybe he turned it down because it looked terrible, or because he felt all this "The Doctor is really an evil monster!" crap was...well, crap.

For people who ARE NOT excited about the 50th based upon hints at plot, Eccleston turning down the 50th is very likely good validation that it is a terrible, hurtful story. More Moffat crap.

Also, Moffat seemed very impatient and irritated with Eccleston, and I totally believe that Eccleston showed up, and Moffat treated him like crap, and Eccleston said screw it.
Yeah, I think Moffat also treated John Barrowman with crap too. I heard rumours that he was asked to come back for series 6 (probably to join Amy Rory and River in episodes 1 & 2) but turned it down because he had scheduling conflicts, so couldn't' do it, and after that Moffat's in a sulk and that's probably why he's not in the 50th. So from what I've heard of how Moffat treated Eccleston and Barrowman, no wonder Eccleston declined. From what I've heard, Moffat sounds like an impatient git who writes only for himself.

Or maybe Eccleston like myself and many others are fed up with all these giant plot twists and complicated shit that goes on. And with Moffat, he always marks an occasion with some stupid "altering the universe with complicated plot twists" crap that Eccleston may not like, and I get the feeling he's a bit more down to Earth with the show.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:37 PM   #187
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Barrowman was offered to be in A Good Man Goes to War, and the scheduling conflict was Torchwood Miracle Day

Where did you hear these rumors that Moffat treated Barrowman like crap? I've never heard anything like that.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:40 PM   #188
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post

Yeah, I think Moffat also treated John Barrowman with crap too. I heard rumours that he was asked to come back for series 6 (probably to join Amy Rory and River in episodes 1 & 2) but turned it down because he had scheduling conflicts, so couldn't' do it, and after that Moffat's in a sulk and that's probably why he's not in the 50th. So from what I've heard of how Moffat treated Eccleston and Barrowman, no wonder Eccleston declined. From what I've heard, Moffat sounds like an impatient git who writes only for himself.

Or maybe Eccleston like myself and many others are fed up with all these giant plot twists and complicated shit that goes on. And with Moffat, he always marks an occasion with some stupid "altering the universe with complicated plot twists" crap that Eccleston may not like, and I get the feeling he's a bit more down to Earth with the show.
Or maybe you're confusing your own feelings about Moffatt with Eccleston's own, unknown-to-us, reasons for not appearing in the episode.
Old August 28 2013, 10:48 PM   #189
Green Lantern
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Barrowman was offered to be in A Good Man Goes to War, and the scheduling conflict was Torchwood Miracle Day

Where did you hear these rumors that Moffat treated Barrowman like crap? I've never heard anything like that.
Ah right. I bet Barrowman wishes he chose DW. :P
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 11:58 PM   #190
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Ah right. I bet Barrowman wishes he chose DW. :P
I think Barrowman, was probably happier with the bigger paycheck of lead Actor in 10 episodes (A Starz Production probably has a higher Salary budget than Doctor Who), versus guest star in a single episode of Doctor Who. Eccelston might've regretted choosing the lesser "quality" project despite the bigger paycheck, but, I doubt it bothered Barrowman, who doesn't have the career opportunities Eccelston has

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:47 AM   #191
Sci
Admiral

Yes, that's it. Clearly. Christopher Eccleston, acclaimed actor of stage and screen, declined to shoot a Doctor Who anniversary episode because he's upset we never found out why the 52nd Century Anglican Church allied itself with the Order of the Headless Monks and the Silence.
Old August 29 2013, 07:26 AM   #192
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Sci wrote: View Post
Yes, that's it. Clearly. Christopher Eccleston, acclaimed actor of stage and screen, declined to shoot a Doctor Who anniversary episode because he's upset we never found out why the 52nd Century Anglican Church allied itself with the Order of the Headless Monks and the Silence.
Because he's "down to Earth".
Old August 29 2013, 08:30 AM   #193
TJ Sinclair
Captain

This is purely me wondering out loud. I have never heard anything one way or the other, but what was Eccleston's relationship with Billie Piper like during their time filming series one? Have either of them ever said anything about it?

*If* they didn't get along, I could see Eccleston maybe not wanting to work with her again. But again, I don't know if they got along or not.

And again, where are people getting this "Moffat treats people like crap" stuff? I've never seen hint of that anywhere, except from some fans making inferences because they don't like Moffat's writing and the fact that he can come off as pretty glib in interviews.
Old August 29 2013, 09:03 AM   #194
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Did he shoot your dog or something? Your comments here are most of the nature of someone with a personal grudge than someone watching a TV show.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 09:05 AM   #195
TJ Sinclair
Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Did he shoot your dog or something? Your comments here are most of the nature of someone with a personal grudge than someone watching a TV show.
I think you're missing the tone of their comments, bud.