The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 29 2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Why didn't the Borg...

...implant ranged weapons into the Drones? They're usually slow moving, have personal shields, yet they have to close to melee distance to engage combat. Seems a built in phaser or something would reduce their number of casualties. Of course, the Borg don't seem to care about casualties. Even some sort of crossbow weapon would have been better than letting the enemy shoot at you until you could touch them.
Old August 29 2013, 05:36 AM   #2
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Why didn't the Borg...

Or better yet a weapon that was saturated in nanoprobes so the instant it hit someone they wouldn't be killed or stunned but assimilated--would be a for more efficient means of conquering the galaxy.
Old August 29 2013, 05:37 AM   #3
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

It's gonna be a fanwanky answer, so proceed at your own risk. Let's just go ahead and say that the amount of power needed to generate phaser shots would be damaging to the tissue of a borg drone. The casings on hand phasers and rifles allow for safe usage.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Lore's drones used energy weapons affixed to the back of their hands without any problems--I suspect a race as advanced as the Borg could come up with ways and means around such a problem.
Old August 29 2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Bry, yes, exactly. I was going edit the post later to include nanoprobes but worried someone might be replying at the time. So I went back to the episode I watching when the idea for the thread hit me (ENT: Regeneration).

Lobster, that could be a consideration too. Though nano-probe projectile weapons Bry suggested seem to make the most viable weapon. It's just sort of strange these guys close to arm's length and shove a cordless drill or saw into your face, instead of a welding torch.

Edit: I forgot about Lore's bad boys.
Edit 2: This is sort of an open ended title I guess, so maybe we can come up with other seemingly obvious things they should have done.
Old August 29 2013, 05:58 AM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Edit 2: This is sort of an open ended title I guess, so maybe we can come up with other seemingly obvious things they should have done.
In that case, why didn't the Borg send 150+ cubes into Federation space, one for each member world? Starfleet would never have the numbers possible to defend against each one.
Old August 29 2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Not only do the Borg don't care about casualties, but they benefit from you trying to kill them as each successful attack gives them something to adapt to, making them more perfect and reducing their targets ability to resist them to a point where it is truly futile.

We've also seen that assimilation can be reserved by reasonably advanced species, such as the Federation. Infecting a person at range gives that person a chance to be evacuated and receive medical treatment. However, if you overwhelm a position and start assimilating there is no escape.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
In that case, why didn't the Borg send 150+ cubes into Federation space, one for each member world? Starfleet would never have the numbers possible to defend against each one.
Given the distant from the Borg territory in the DQ and the Federation's technology level there probably isn't a strong reason for the Borg to launch a significant effort to conquer the Federation. However, the Federation is advanced enough/interesting enough that sending a test every now and again would be worthwhile.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:06 AM   #8
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Why do things the Borg don't need to do to achieve the goal they're attempting to achieve?

The Borg sent 1 cube because if they lost the cube it was a pittance and they'd learn something about whomever destroyed it, and if they didn't lose the cube then then they had an extra cube lying around.

The Borg didn't invent ranged weapons because they didn't need them. They simply dont' care if they throw away the lives of 100 drones. And in all likelihood they won't because they'll have adapted to whatever their enemy is using to attack them in any case.

Sometimes I think people simply fail to grasp exactly how vast the Borg Collective is and, given their mentality, how little even thousands of lives mean to them. Hell, there's a VOY episode where the Queen is blowing up her own ships almost casually.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:07 AM   #9
Mutoid
Fleet Captain

View Mutoid's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Yes the Borg could have quite easily destroyed the Federation if just one Borg cube kept most of the Federation finest ships at bay.
If we hadn't had the insight into the Borg world in VOY you could just explain it as being one of the mysteries of the Borg. Now it just doesn't make sense.
Mutoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:07 AM   #10
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I bet when the Vulcans were watching their version of Star Trek in their universe, it was a Borg cube attacking Vulcan.

For "Best of Both Worlds", that first cube may have just been a scout investigating the signal sent by those in Cochrane's timeline, as speculated in other threads. In ST: First Contact, they definitely should have launched a massive invasion force. But then we get into a predestination paradox.

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; August 29 2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: f**king time travel again
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:12 AM   #11
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^And since the Borg are presumably smart enough to realize that, the only sensible reasons they could have for sending one cube is that they only -wanted- to send one cube or, inexplicably, they could only afford to send one cube and didn't want to wait.

Or, if you want to get particularly creative and think outside the box, it wasn't the Borg's decision.

We know the Borg aren't stupid, so if they're doing something it's safe to assume some thought went into the decision.

Put another way, the question shouldn't be "Why don't the Borg send more ships?" but rather "Why are the Borg only sending one ship?"

Last edited by DonIago; August 29 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old August 29 2013, 07:04 AM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post

Put another way, the question shouldn't be "Why don't the Borg send more ships?" but rather "Why are the Borg only sending one ship?"
Well the answer to the question there is because the writers wanted the good guys to win.

An inverse answer to that is more tricky and as mentioned earlier gets fanwanky... it gets even more tricky when we see them send several ships against a planet less advanced than Earth in Dark Frontier.
Old August 29 2013, 07:27 AM   #13
DonIago
Rear Admiral

It kind of works if you assume the Borg are probing Earth's defenses (and maybe even deliberately spurring Earth to develop better ones), but in the case of a less advanced civilization figure there's nothing left to learn from them (at least with regards to their defenses), but neither would they be completely unworthy of assimilation.
Old August 29 2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

In "Dark Frontier"'s case, it could merely be due to the planet being in the Delta Quadrant relatively close to the Hub, where there would be multiple Cubes available.

The transwarp conduits appear to be limited to single ships at a time, unless there's a scene with a Borg fleet going through I'm not remembering.
Old August 29 2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Yes the Borg could have quite easily destroyed the Federation if just one Borg cube kept most of the Federation finest ships at bay.
If we hadn't had the insight into the Borg world in VOY you could just explain it as being one of the mysteries of the Borg. Now it just doesn't make sense.
VOY ruined the Borg. They told us too much about them and one solitary little ship was able to best them multiple times. By the time the series ended the Borg were little more than a toothless old Grishnar cat.