Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, we had 7 years of ST Voyager travelling through the Delta Quadrant - holo episodes and all. ;)

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that Voyager was never an arc show. Easier to keep the concept going if you don't have any reason beyond the setting for things to move forward.

I agree that last night's episode revealed things that would make a second season difficult. When they revealed a major plot point to the characters, you get a distinct feeling of things coming to a close. At this point, I'm not sure how they could do a second season unless they reveal a completely new villain for next season and involve more of the outside.

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

i was just being a smartass about Voyager. But in all seriousness they even had trouble with new ideas and had to bring back the Borg to make it interesting again - or at least try.

Regarding Under the Dome. I agree with everyone that season 2 is going to be tough to find any decent material to make it interesting. As you say - perhaps what's happening outside the dome may fuel a few episodes.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Seems like the show is picking up... "a" pace. Not a fast one, not a GOOD one but at least something a bit better than Small Town Crisis of the Week. You also win no points if you guessed Junior McRapey was the fourth hand on the smaller "dome" (which is not exactly a dome, Mr. Whizkid. You'd think they'd look at this thing that is very obviously a SPHERE and assume the same about the "dome" they are in. But our characters are not very bright.)

5. Owain Taggart

Ahh, I can see what you meant. You make a good point about the Borg. And then they were overused. If it were made today, I think it would at least have a hint of a story arc going on in the background.

Yeah, and come to think of it, and I'm not sure about the book, but beyond what we did see of the outside, I'd have liked to have seen more of what's going on outside from an outside perspective. What's happening out there? Are there any efforts to find out what's happening with the dome? Since the bomb, there doesn't seem to be any active effort. It makes it feel like the dome's the only thing that has survived the blast, but there's more to the world than that. Where's the President jumping into action?

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they can change the name of the show every season, kinda like Spartacus.

Season 1: Under the Dome
    Season 2: Inside the Sphere
    Season 3: Wait it's a Chrysalis?
    Season 4: Nevermind, Turtles All the Way Down

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was okay with the fairly simplistic writing early on (thanks to the good performances and the fairly fast moving storyline), but now with the cartoonishly-evil Maxine character and some of the ridiculous crises that keep popping up in town, the show's starting to get a little too silly for my taste.

Although still, it's a lot more engaging that the generic Revolution or Falling Skies, at least.

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My opinion on this show has changed drastically since S2 was announced. When I came into this I thought it was basically a summer long mini-series with an ending to the show due at the end of the summer. I was willing to overlook some sloppy writing because I was happy to see the good ratings as I *WANT* to see more American TV go to a 1-season only storytelling type format like you find in some TV shows from other countries.

Being able to watch a 12 episode to maybe 24 episode SERIES where you get a conclusion to the show at the end would interest me a lot. Too much of the non-episodic TV nowadays is just pumped full of filler in order to make the season episode count and get the show to the following year. I've watched a lot of shows from the UK, Korea, Japan, etc... where all the show ever had was one season which told the entire story of the characters and then it ended.

9. Owain Taggart

Yep, this definitely feels more like miniseries material compared to a full series. I don't know where they got the idea for a second season. I think they may have jumped the gun there and trapped themselves into a corner.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's wierd trying to sell this show to my friends...

"You should watch this."

"Is it any good?"

"No."

"NO? Then why should I watch it?"

"Because it's really similar to a lot of shows that were good."

11. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they could've taken a lesson from True Blood. They wrap up their seasons like it's only contained series and re-introduce a villain every season. We could've gone this year with the farmers versus the townfolk or something.

And if you are going to have a character like Maxine, have her be a little more reserved. She looks like she's been running the town, yet we've never heard of her. Maybe she's biding her time, doing little things, not running a damn fight club.

12. Danny99

So this big villain that is supposed to keep Big Jim and Barbie at bay is dead after two or three episodes? In a red-shirt kind of death?

Glad to see Big Jim vs. Barbie though. Seems like it took forever to get to the logical standoff.

13. Trekker4747

Cop lady seem to rather easily and quickly accept that Big Jim's lies about Barbie were true. Yes, Cop Lady, Barbie shot Julia in the shoulder (though he's shown himself to be a bit better shot) and then rushed her to the hospital and worked tirelessly to save her life. Boy is she going to feel like an ass when she wakes up and says she was shot by "some blonde lady." And, yeah, just go ahead and accept that Barbie shot Julia, the two baddies at the quarry and drowned some random woman in the lake. It just ALLLLLL makes sense, doesn't it. Then go and taint your only pool of jury members by telling them all Barbie did this. Fair trial my ass.

God, this show is a wreck. Though the mystery stuff with the "kids" and the mini-dome is getting pretty good and Julia's naked midriff and barefoot so there's also that.

This show is just a wreck but I can't stop watching it!

I actually also, in part, want to get the DVD set because I like the dome/snowglobe packaging.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, the whole thing about Barbie being framed for things he didn't do was from the Novel.

15. Guy Gardener

Did I miss the advert where they tell you that there's a phone in vote where the public decides if it is Julia or Maxine who is going to die?

"Only you can decide where Barbie dips his wick! The power is yours!"

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shit if it's my choice gotta keep Maxine. Yes she's a silly cartoon villain, but that is still somehow less dull than the redhead in this show.

17. Guy Gardener

But when was the last time you saw a guy give such a sexy lungjob?

You know how to give a lungjob don't you?

You just stick your lips together and suck.

18. Trekker4747

That doesn't mean it makes sense or that the show has properly built up to it.

Shut your mouth! Julia is the closest thing this show HAS to a character.

19. Guy Gardener

It makes perfect since if that cop has an IQ of 46.

Linda is a fricking idiot.

I assume that she's being written as developmentally challenged, because every decision she has made has been awful.

20. Danny99

I really miss Jeff Fahey.