Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 18 2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Select Ships

I got the Enterprise-A way back when it came out. Nice model, but the stand was abysmal and has long since snapped in half. The build quality on the DST ships doesn't seem great to me, so I haven't felt it worth spending the £40+ on any of the others.

I'm tempted by the upcoming version of the Bounty from TVH. Their Bird of Prey does look like it's better quality than some of the others, so I'm considering it.

Their props are really fun - I have the TOS, TMP and TWOK phasers, and the TWOK communicator. I'm trying to find one of the TOS communicators with the metal grill, which is proving elusive or extortionate on ebay.
Old August 19 2013, 05:17 AM   #17
TheSubCommander
Captain

Well, at least from what I can see of my Diamond Select from the boxes, the build quality looks good to me, as does the detail. As I said, the only complaint I have is the Enterprise D bridge having a heavy paint glob on the bridge itself, but isn't that noticeable. Really, when I do get into a larger place where I can unbox and display my ships (im in a 1 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend right now), They will be on bookshelves. They look good enough for that, and are better than anything I could build on my own. Plus they light up and make noise, and I think that is pretty badass.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 08:51 PM   #18
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I've always collected the art asylum Star Trek ships great company that make good scaled as detailed ships. My collection consists of three of them the TOS Enterprise HD the movie Enterprise that I regard as my favourite E and my favourite art asylum the TOS Enterpise from the pilot the cage. Love the bigger nav dish and bridge dome and the bussard collectors spikes.
Old August 26 2013, 08:56 PM   #19
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Here's all three and all the big Es from NX to the E !!
Old August 26 2013, 09:55 PM   #20
gerbil
Captain

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
VERY cool! I'm trying to find a spot for my Classic Playmates TOS Enterprise and Romulan Warbird on my shelf. Sadly, I'm parting with my Playmates Defiant on eBay.
"Life should be revered simply for the fact that we need to be thankful that we are currently able to consciously appreciate what we are going through right now. ... This moment that we're having right now is highly significant." -Maynard James Keenan
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:17 PM   #21
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Epic Photo there
Old August 27 2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Anybody ever notice the cutaway graphic on the back of theis version of the TOS Enterprise box?

You might never believe where it came from...

Yep. Me.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:47 AM   #23
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Golly! Did they steal it? or ask to use it? How much $ they give you for it? What did your Lawyer say bout it!?? :O
Old August 28 2013, 03:19 PM   #24
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well, I had it on my now-defunct website without a watermark. It happened to be one of the top images that comes up if you look up Enterprise cross-sections on Google (more often than not, the top one) and the same is true for the watermarked version I have on my DeviantArt account.

So if one plus one equals two, then they must have snagged it off there. Maybe they thought it was official?

I didn't know for a long time until a fellow board member pointed it out to me. (I don't actually own one.) I've never tried to get anything from them, because the way I figure it, it's fan art and I don't own the Enterprise design. It doesn't seem worth the effort.

I am slightly curious if it still appears on the newer-style boxes, though, if anyone knows.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old August 28 2013, 05:47 PM   #25
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that happened to me too a while back. Some of you all may remember the Battlestar Galactica exhibit at the Sci-Fi Museum in Seattle. There was this big glass plaque next to the TOS filming miniature replica that had a faint image of a battlestar top-view schematic etched in it.

That was mine. I'd know my own work anywhere - errors and all. Saw it with my own eyes when I went to visit the exhibit with my wife a couple of years ago. No credits, no email requests, nothing.

It happens. Sometimes out of sheer non-malicious omission, sometimes because if it's an officially licensed and sanctioned event, they may feel they don't have to because they own the rights and, even though you did all the work, the intellectual property and copyrights still belong to them. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

I've gotten used to it. The NuBSG production crew used older schematics of mine on the show in several of the CIC control panels when they first built everything. Could have knocked me over with a feather when some random fan took photos of them by accident during a set tour, posted them on his blog and I discovered them. The horribly inaccurate nature of how they looked (based on the old 1978 Monogram/Revell model kit - also horribly inaccurate) actually prompted me to do the updated schematics I mentioned above. I guess, at the time, they were the only drawings even remotely close to being right and so they used them instead of taking the time to do it themselves (don't blame them - it took me hundreds of hours to do the latest version). In the end, though, it got around that I was the source of the graphics and I finally got credit for it in the Profiles in History (or maybe it was PropWorx - can't remember) auction books when all the old set dressings and props went on the auction bloc.

That's when I decided that, as long as people know, and I have the proof to back it up, the bragging rights alone are worth it.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; August 29 2013 at 04:17 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:11 PM   #26
Praetor
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
That's when I decided that, as long as people know, and I have the proof to back it up, the bragging rights alone are worth it.
Exactly how I felt about it. Glad to be in good company, and fine work.

It makes me laugh that, amongst all the contention regarding the TOS ship's arrangement, my highly unconventional approach (putting a TMP warp core in the ship) got printed somewhere where lots of people might see it and think that's how it was "really" arranged.
Old August 28 2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
Neat! Going off topic here, but would you mind taking a close-up of the li'l Enterprise B you have? I have several of that series and they're mostly poor models IMO, especially the Enterprise C which I ended up modifying to at least have the damn saucer on straight...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:32 PM   #28
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Exactly how I felt about it. Glad to be in good company, and fine work.

It makes me laugh that, amongst all the contention regarding the TOS ship's arrangement, my highly unconventional approach (putting a TMP warp core in the ship) got printed somewhere where lots of people might see it and think that's how it was "really" arranged.
Thanks very much - most kind

I actually wrote an article on this back in 2008 for Galactica.tv.

And yes, yours is certainly an unconventional view of the internal layout, but as other threads that have recently popped up here have said, not every ship has an identical layout. Who's to say that this wasn't correct for any one of the 12 other Connies in the fleet? A newer model, immediately prior to the refit, trying out a new internal configuration before the Enterprise was brought into drydock? It's as valid as any other cutaway, as far as I'm concerned.
Old August 28 2013, 08:02 PM   #29
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

ahh must feel cool then to see something you made as a fan be actually used in Star Trek or in 137th Gebirgs Case NuBSG
Old August 28 2013, 08:18 PM   #30
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It does traverse a range of emotions, much like the Kübler-Ross model of accepting death:
  • Denial (or Shock - there's no way somebody used what I did - NO WAY!)
  • Anger (...that nobody will know or care that I spent hundreds of hours of work on this, nobody credited me for that effort, and nobody bothered to even bloody ask!)
  • Skipping "Bargaining" (There was nobody to bargain with. That also made me angry. )
  • Depression (Pretty much for the same reasons listed in Anger - I would agree with the relationship between these two emotions mentioned in Sopranos, that "depression is anger turned inward".)
  • Acceptance (It's not so bad, I'm my own best advocate in such matters and the people who count know I was the one behind it. And yes, it is actually pretty damn cool! )