Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 28 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Stargate Curious

It has only been in the last 2-3 months that I first saw the film (it was on TV not long ago) and found it alright, then flipping through channels not long afterwards I stumbled across Stargate Universe and watched a few episodes of the late second season and found it quite enjoyable.

I don't think I'm prepared to sit through ten years of SG-1 but am curious about getting Universe and maybe Atlantis. Should I bother or do I have to see SG-1 before trying to get into its spin-offs?
Old August 28 2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: Stargate Curious

Do yourself a favor-go through the ten years. The original series is...so much fun. You(generally) don't need to watch it to enjoy the others, but some stuff will just make you wonder what the heck is going on if you don't watch the original.

Old August 28 2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

While watching all 10 seasons was a chore and was something I put off for nearly 2yrs(I had it awhile from a B.Friday sale) I'll say it's something I'm glad I finally saw.
Old August 28 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

SG-1's better than the other series, hands down. I'm the only person on this board who thinks the movie is better SG-1, so as far as I'm concerned you've already seen everything you need to.

-Tom Clancy
Old August 28 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

SG-1 is the best of the franchise. Don't worry about its length; watch a season or two and if you like it, watch more.

Atlantis is fun but doesn't have the same grounded, here-and-now feel that SG-1 does (even though it is *now*, it's not here). Universe was weak at first but improved in season 2.
Old August 28 2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Oh believe me once I get started watching boxsets if its something that intrigues me and I start to enjoy then I can get through a full 24 45-minute episode season in about three days (including doing my 9-5 job)--its not something I'm hugely proud of though, I just get a little obsessed

I'll have to see if I can find them going cheap then see if I have any space on my DVD shelves--not an easy task in itself.
Old August 28 2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Stargate Universe - It did get very good in the second half of Season 2. However, for me, S1 was a bit of a slog to get through most of the time. Almost none of the characters had anything to enthuse me about. I disliked watching almost all of them. I'm not just talkling about characters that are morally repugnant, I mean characters that I really had no interest in, that I wished would just disappear. This does change over time though, and by the end of S2, I was very sorry to see it had been cancelled, because there were quite a few of the characters that I did want to know more about (Despite wanting many of them spaced in S1). SG-1 being watched first, adds to the mythology for Stargate Universe (SGU), but, not necessarily necessary. Stargate Atlantis (SGA), doesn't really have any impact on SGU.

SG-1, IMHO, is good, solid Military SciFi Action, with some very funny one liners and some terrific guest stars. When I first watched it, I started in the middle on SyFy channel reruns (They used to marathon 4 episodes every Monday) and missed some nights (Mean I missed 4 episodes in a row if I only missed 1 week) and my opinion was, there were hardly any episodes lower than a 6 out of 10, but, also very 9out of 10 or better. Watching it all in order from the beginning at my own pace (I too often consume a whole season in a week or less after work, since I rarely watch regular TV and always having DVDs in the background while I do other things) I found there were actually quite a few 9 and 10 episodes afterall, but, still feel it's rare for an episode to drop below a 6 or 7 out of 10.

SGA - is a direct spinoff of SG-1. While you don't need to watch SG-1 first, it enhances your enjoyment of it, IMHO.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 28 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Chronologically, SGA begins concurrent with SG1 season 8. SGU begins after SGA ends.
Old August 28 2013, 08:08 PM   #9
RoJoHen
Awesome

While I love Atlantis AND Universe, I can't imagine watching them without seeing SG-1 first. It's definitely worth the effort.
Old August 28 2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Just ordered SG1 Season 1 from Amazon. Waiting patiently for its arrival
Old August 28 2013, 08:25 PM   #11
dansigal
Commander

They are free on Amazon streaming if you have Prime.
Old August 28 2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Relayer1
Commodore

I thought SG1 got better as it went on, then dropped off a bit towards the end.

Atlantis is O.K. - there's some decent characters and I enjoyed it, but overall it's not as good.

I really liked Universe but am in the minority here...
Old August 28 2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I was Stargate curious back in my college days. I experimented with crossing the event horizon of the ole' wormhole with three different groups of guys, and even came back for a few movies too. Indeeeeed.

SG-1 is the most enjoyable of the bunch by far, so daunting task though it may be, you shouldn't skip it. SG-1 and Atlantis are closer in tone to each other than either are to the much darker and more serious Universe, so if you insist on watching one of the shorter two series on its own, Universe would probably be your best bet. It references SG-1, but is about as close to a standalone series as you're going to get and can be watched independently without missing out on too much.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old August 28 2013, 09:16 PM   #14
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I was Stargate curious back in my college days. I experimented with crossing the event horizon of the ole' wormhole with three different groups of guys, and even came back for a few movies too. Indeeeeed.
LOL, glad I'm not the only one who keeps seeing Bry's fantastic Thread Title in that context

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 28 2013, 09:36 PM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Oh believe me once I get started watching boxsets if its something that intrigues me and I start to enjoy then I can get through a full 24 45-minute episode season in about three days (including doing my 9-5 job)--its not something I'm hugely proud of though, I just get a little obsessed

I'll have to see if I can find them going cheap then see if I have any space on my DVD shelves--not an easy task in itself.
Oh I know the feeling, years ago a friend loand me a couple of seasons of a TV show, and it turned into a just one more episode thing. Just like a good book.

But the first two seasons of SG-1 like the first two seasons of TNG, aren't the best the show has to offer. They have good episodes but it gets stronger.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.