Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 28 2013, 12:13 PM   #166
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
He's not being petty or vindictive or hateful towards Doctor Who. Not doing the BFI would have been petty.
He didn't. He recorded a message in which he said (I paraphrase): "You'd have liked to see me in the 50th anniversary special? Sorry, see you in 2063! Oh and I should probably mention that one guy I worked with on Doctor Who that I liked"

He can do and say whatever he wants and I don't feel that he owes us anything, but yes, I think that as talented as he is, he's a passive agressive jerk.
Old August 28 2013, 12:48 PM   #167
Konata Izumi
Commander

^He has nothing against the show though, but some of the people who make it.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:25 PM   #168
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
^He has nothing against the show though, but some of the people who make it.
Yeah, it absolutely amazes me that people have such frustration with Eccleston, but seem to have NO frustration with the the people in charge who are being jerks enough to make Eccleston NOT want to return.

They should have courted him. yes, he's a deeper more intense actor who takes things a bit more seriously than others. Some actors are like that, not just Eccleston. Some of the best, in fact.

You go after them. You treat them right, and try to meet them on THEIR terms so that they WANT to work with you.

You don't mistreat them, or dismiss them, or offer them fleeting ultimatums. You court them, you woo them, you wow them.

Reading between the lines, it sounds more like the folks in charge never really gave a damn about him, created a venomous atmosphere, and did very little to give him reason to come back.

Be mad at the people in charge, not the actor.
Old August 28 2013, 04:40 PM   #169
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Supposedly, his problem was with some production people when he was on DW. I believe almost all of the production team has turned over, at least once. He also stated his favorite episodes were Moffatt penned. He also supposedly met with Moffatt recently to discuss the 50th but declined. So using the "problem with someone in production" is now an invalid defense.
Old August 28 2013, 04:57 PM   #170
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Supposedly, his problem was with some production people when he was on DW. I believe almost all of the production team has turned over, at least once. He also stated his favorite episodes were Moffatt penned. He also supposedly met with Moffatt recently to discuss the 50th but declined. So using the "problem with someone in production" is now an invalid defense.
Why is it an invalid defense? By your own admission, he took the meeting, he gave it a shot, and for whatever reason, whatever bothered either hasn't changed or the part didn't appeal to him.

You might have a point if he hadn't even been willing to take the meeting. We still don't know exactly what the problem was. he hasn't pointed at someone in Production and blamed them. He has complained about the Politics of the show generally and the ass kissing at parties. It could have nothing to do with a specific person, it could simply be "the faces on the lunchboxes" which he has a great distaste for that kind of Celebrityism, and has even been quoted as saying he didn't want his face on a lunchbox, he considers that nothing more than prostitution of the art of acting. You keep assigning habits of "Famous Popstars" for him to emulate, and he wants nothing to do with that end of acting, he just wants to do the best performance he can in his art, and move on to the next role and give that his all. It's art and a job to him, he's not interested in the trips down the red carpet and the other trappings of being a Celebrity

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:07 PM   #171
Konata Izumi
Commander

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Well the event, where he sent the letter was about the time he was on the show.

Whether to appear in the episode or not, is a separate matter.

Seems like he didn't like what he heard was planned for the episode, unless he went there just to get some spoilers.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:36 PM   #172
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

At the very least, he must have been very naive to play an iconic family/children's-orientated role like The Doctor and not think about things like having his face on merchandise. There have been DW toys for as long as I remember.
Old August 28 2013, 05:48 PM   #173
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Some crossed wires here, I think-- it was Benedict Cumberbatch who said that he wouldn't want to play the Doctor because of the "face on a lunchbox" effect. And he was making a general comment about the amount of attention and publicity given the actor in the role, not complaining about the mere existence of merchandise.
Old August 28 2013, 06:33 PM   #174
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Some crossed wires here, I think-- it was Benedict Cumberbatch who said that he wouldn't want to play the Doctor because of the "face on a lunchbox" effect. And he was making a general comment about the amount of attention and publicity given the actor in the role, not complaining about the mere existence of merchandise.
Ah, yea, you're right, my mistake. However, Eccelston does seem to ascribe to the same resistance of "prostituting" his work like that.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:37 PM   #175
Bacl
Fleet Captain

You realize, of course, that since Eccleston DID take the meeting with Moffat, that he was most certainly told what the episode was about and maybe even shown a few pages of script.

He's an authentic, true guy.

Maybe he turned it down because it looked terrible, or because he felt all this "The Doctor is really an evil monster!" crap was...well, crap.

For people who ARE NOT excited about the 50th based upon hints at plot, Eccleston turning down the 50th is very likely good validation that it is a terrible, hurtful story. More Moffat crap.

Also, Moffat seemed very impatient and irritated with Eccleston, and I totally believe that Eccleston showed up, and Moffat treated him like crap, and Eccleston said screw it.
Old August 28 2013, 06:41 PM   #176
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Bacl wrote: View Post
You realize, of course, that since Eccleston DID take the meeting with Moffat, that he was most certainly told what the episode was about and maybe even shown a few pages of script.

Maybe he turned it down because it looked terrible, or because he felt all this "The Doctor is really an evil monster!" crap was...well, crap.

For people who ARE NOT excited about the 50th based upon hints at plot, Eccleston turning down the 50th is very likely good validation that it is a terrible, hurtful story. More Moffat crap.

Also, Moffat seemed very impatient and irritated with Eccleston, and I totally believe that Eccleston showed up, and Moffat treated him like crap, and Eccleston said screw it.
And is this based on any evidence whatsoever? Looks like its not just the anti-Eccleston camp who are reading what they want into events we can only guess about...
Old August 28 2013, 06:44 PM   #177
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
At the very least, he must have been very naive to play an iconic family/children's-orientated role like The Doctor and not think about things like having his face on merchandise. There have been DW toys for as long as I remember.
I don't know that that was ever an issue with Eccleston.

It was certainly an issue with Benedict Cumberbatch, as he cited that as a reason for not taking the role after Tennant's departure.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:47 PM   #178
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Yes, Brendan Moody has corrected that. I didn't actually introduce the merchandise point though, I simply made that remark in response to Sindatur's reference to lunchboxes (which he's admitted was crossed wires in his part).
Old August 28 2013, 07:15 PM   #179
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Bacl wrote: View Post
How on Earth would you know this? Perhaps that's what he projects, and it may actually be true, but none of us here know Eccleston.

Unless you're being super literally and just saying that, yes, he's truly a guy!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:22 PM   #180
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I think a lot of people have ascribed similar motives to Eccleston, in the period when he refused to say anything and all anyone could do was make wild guesses (or accept ignorance, but when has fandom ever done that?). But I don't know that he's ever suggested he felt a mainstream, highly visible role was inherently undesirable. He takes on material that interests him, or that pays the bills so he can do the stuff that interests him.

On the subject of the anniversary special, I don't think he was ever likely to appear in it, given that a nostalgic event episode in which he's one of three lead actors is unlikely to offer much if any new and interesting dramatic material. His turning it down (if he did; I'd remind people that the original article behind this thread, despite misleading wording, cites an unnamed BBC source rather than an official spokesman) probably isn't a comment on the plot.