RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,234
Posts: 5,347,942
Members: 24,609
Currently online: 621
Newest member: chipper803

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 30 2013, 03:31 AM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

I'm enjoying the series so far. While nothing outstanding, it is decent entertainment all the same. It is kind of fun seeing all the new series nods in the stories, like issue 3 revealing the Hood Figure has a vortex manipulator. Issue 4 featuring the Judoon. Issue 5 featuring the Sontarans doing their "Sontar-Ha!" chant. And issue 6, is covered above.

Also, the Hooded Figure must be quite the badass given that he has a wrecked Dalek in his lair.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 03:42 AM   #17
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

I've been reading it. It's okay. It's cute but they really could've hired better writers to do something which should be epic and instead feels rather inconsequential.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Wait, actual John Ridgway art?
__________________
"All of time and space. Everywhere and anywhere, every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"
Exploring the Universe
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 06:38 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

^^Indeed, Issue 6 is drawn by John Ridgway.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Issue #8 came out today. Drawn by Roger Langridge, the eighth Doctor visits Grace Holloway (her first named appearance in a Doctor Who story in over a decade) and takes her on "just one trip."

It was an odd issue.

Langridge's art is great, as always, but the story itself is rather thin.

After a Frobisher apperance in issue #6 drawn by John Ridgway, this doesn't fit with Grace's DWM appearances at all.

The story reminds me of "The Land of Happy Endings" (the anniversary story DWM did a few years ago with the eighth Doctor and his grandchildren, John and Gillian) tossed in a blender with a Vidiian story out of Star Trek: Voyager.

The important thing, though -- we get a really good look at the hooded villain.



I didn't hate the issue, but I also didn't love it. The eighth Doctor dialogue doesn't ring true, and the story is slight. I also don't buy the resolution to the story which portrays the eighth Doctor as something of an anarchist. But, the artwork was lovely and it's always nice to see the eighth Doctor.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:15 PM   #21
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Issue #8 came out today. Drawn by Roger Langridge, the eighth Doctor visits Grace Holloway (her first named appearance in a Doctor Who story in over a decade) and takes her on "just one trip."

It was an odd issue.

Langridge's art is great, as always, but the story itself is rather thin.

After a Frobisher apperance in issue #6 drawn by John Ridgway, this doesn't fit with Grace's DWM appearances at all.

The story reminds me of "The Land of Happy Endings" (the anniversary story DWM did a few years ago with the eighth Doctor and his grandchildren, John and Gillian) tossed in a blender with a Vidiian story out of Star Trek: Voyager.

The important thing, though -- we get a really good look at the hooded villain.



I didn't hate the issue, but I also didn't love it. The eighth Doctor dialogue doesn't ring true, and the story is slight. I also don't buy the resolution to the story which portrays the eighth Doctor as something of an anarchist. But, the artwork was lovely and it's always nice to see the eighth Doctor.
Isn't the villain a *lot* more likely to be
?
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Mr Mercedes (Stephen King)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:36 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Isn't the villain a *lot* more likely to be
?
Damn, I didn't even think of him! That would make a lot of sense.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:34 PM   #23
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Isn't the villain a *lot* more likely to be
?
Damn, I didn't even think of him! That would make a lot of sense.
Which would clash with a New Adventure... actually, it needn't, thinking about it, if the plot went the right way.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 11:37 PM   #24
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Actually, I'm getting a distinctly Scrappy-Doo/Jason Todd/Syndrome vibe off of this villain. I'm pretty sure I know who it is. Look at his confrontation with Five again, and you'll see it...

"He's an old friend of yours. Or should I say...companion?" - The Master, Part 7

Hope you don't mind The Boy Who Time Forgot being clashed with instead.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:19 AM   #25
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Actually, I'm getting a distinctly Scrappy-Doo/Jason Todd/Syndrome vibe off of this villain. I'm pretty sure I know who it is. Look at his confrontation with Five again, and you'll see it...
Yeah, there's someone at Gallifrey Base who is adamant that the villain is...



...and has been certain since the beginning.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:11 AM   #26
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Also remember, in the Seventh Doctor issue the Master said the Hooded Villain will be the Doctor's companion in the future. I haven't checked out the Eighth Doctor issue, though before the Seventh with that revelation about him I had been considering him to be Abslom Daak based on the fact that in the Fifth Doctor issue he had Dalek wreckage in his lair.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Also remember, in the Seventh Doctor issue the Master said the Hooded Villain will be the Doctor's companion in the future. I haven't checked out the Eighth Doctor issue, though before the Seventh with that revelation about him I had been considering him to be Abslom Daak based on the fact that in the Fifth Doctor issue he had Dalek wreckage in his lair.
Well, if they're purely going by TV characters that narrows it down to:

Chang Lee
Mickey
Adam
Captain Jack
arguably Wilf
Rory

As they're the only male companions in Seven's future

Of which choices it'd be somewhat meta and trolling of the fanbase if it turned out to be Adam, years after all the "Adam is Davros/the Master/The Rani/the Terrible Zodin/etc" bollocks that used to fill up the fora
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Mr Mercedes (Stephen King)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:09 PM   #28
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Of which choices it'd be somewhat meta and trolling of the fanbase if it turned out to be Adam, years after all the "Adam is Davros/the Master/The Rani/the Terrible Zodin/etc" bollocks that used to fill up the fora
I doubt the Tiptons are that aware of Doctor Who fandom's bugaboos.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 10:49 PM   #29
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Actually, what the Master said (after that 'companion' line) went like this:

SEVEN: I have no idea what you're talking about.
MASTER: Of course not, because you haven't met him...yet! HAHAHAHA!!

Though I do see how Wormhole got his interpretation of the scene, mine was that the Doctor, when he does finally see the Hooded Villain unmasked, will instantly know who it is and understand why he's being targeted.

And in Eight's confrontation with him, while he's still hooded and disguised, Eight does say "I feel like I should remember you, but..." and correctly surmises HV put his trust in him at some point, and the Doctor let him down. "Doctor! You surprise me! A note of self-awareness at last? Perhaps even culpability?" But he doesn't reveal himself yet - the Doctor's "not suffered nearly enough."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 01:58 AM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Also remember, in the Seventh Doctor issue the Master said the Hooded Villain will be the Doctor's companion in the future. I haven't checked out the Eighth Doctor issue, though before the Seventh with that revelation about him I had been considering him to be Abslom Daak based on the fact that in the Fifth Doctor issue he had Dalek wreckage in his lair.
Well, if they're purely going by TV characters that narrows it down to:

Chang Lee
Mickey
Adam
Captain Jack
arguably Wilf
Rory

As they're the only male companions in Seven's future

Of which choices it'd be somewhat meta and trolling of the fanbase if it turned out to be Adam, years after all the "Adam is Davros/the Master/The Rani/the Terrible Zodin/etc" bollocks that used to fill up the fora
I've heard Adam suggested before, but my problem is that he's one of the companions that the Hooded Villain has displayed on his computer screen in issue 1, casting doubt that it could be him. Same goes for Mickey and Rory.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
david tipton, doctor who, idw, scott tipton

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.