A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 30 2013, 03:31 AM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

I'm enjoying the series so far. While nothing outstanding, it is decent entertainment all the same. It is kind of fun seeing all the new series nods in the stories, like issue 3 revealing the Hood Figure has a vortex manipulator. Issue 4 featuring the Judoon. Issue 5 featuring the Sontarans doing their "Sontar-Ha!" chant. And issue 6, is covered above.

Also, the Hooded Figure must be quite the badass given that he has a wrecked Dalek in his lair.
Old July 1 2013, 03:42 AM   #17
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I've been reading it. It's okay. It's cute but they really could've hired better writers to do something which should be epic and instead feels rather inconsequential.
Old July 1 2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Wait, actual John Ridgway art?
Old July 1 2013, 06:38 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Indeed, Issue 6 is drawn by John Ridgway.
Old August 28 2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Issue #8 came out today. Drawn by Roger Langridge, the eighth Doctor visits Grace Holloway (her first named appearance in a Doctor Who story in over a decade) and takes her on "just one trip."

It was an odd issue.

Langridge's art is great, as always, but the story itself is rather thin.

After a Frobisher apperance in issue #6 drawn by John Ridgway, this doesn't fit with Grace's DWM appearances at all.

The story reminds me of "The Land of Happy Endings" (the anniversary story DWM did a few years ago with the eighth Doctor and his grandchildren, John and Gillian) tossed in a blender with a Vidiian story out of Star Trek: Voyager.

The important thing, though -- we get a really good look at the hooded villain.

I didn't hate the issue, but I also didn't love it. The eighth Doctor dialogue doesn't ring true, and the story is slight. I also don't buy the resolution to the story which portrays the eighth Doctor as something of an anarchist. But, the artwork was lovely and it's always nice to see the eighth Doctor.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:15 PM   #21
Lonemagpie
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Issue #8 came out today. Drawn by Roger Langridge, the eighth Doctor visits Grace Holloway (her first named appearance in a Doctor Who story in over a decade) and takes her on "just one trip."

It was an odd issue.

Langridge's art is great, as always, but the story itself is rather thin.

After a Frobisher apperance in issue #6 drawn by John Ridgway, this doesn't fit with Grace's DWM appearances at all.

The story reminds me of "The Land of Happy Endings" (the anniversary story DWM did a few years ago with the eighth Doctor and his grandchildren, John and Gillian) tossed in a blender with a Vidiian story out of Star Trek: Voyager.

The important thing, though -- we get a really good look at the hooded villain.

I didn't hate the issue, but I also didn't love it. The eighth Doctor dialogue doesn't ring true, and the story is slight. I also don't buy the resolution to the story which portrays the eighth Doctor as something of an anarchist. But, the artwork was lovely and it's always nice to see the eighth Doctor.
Isn't the villain a *lot* more likely to be
?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:36 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
?
Damn, I didn't even think of him! That would make a lot of sense.

allyngibson.net
Old August 28 2013, 06:34 PM   #23
diankra
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
?
Damn, I didn't even think of him! That would make a lot of sense.
Which would clash with a New Adventure... actually, it needn't, thinking about it, if the plot went the right way.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 11:37 PM   #24
Nightowl1701
Commander

Actually, I'm getting a distinctly Scrappy-Doo/Jason Todd/Syndrome vibe off of this villain. I'm pretty sure I know who it is. Look at his confrontation with Five again, and you'll see it...

"He's an old friend of yours. Or should I say...companion?" - The Master, Part 7

Hope you don't mind The Boy Who Time Forgot being clashed with instead.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:19 AM   #25
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Actually, I'm getting a distinctly Scrappy-Doo/Jason Todd/Syndrome vibe off of this villain. I'm pretty sure I know who it is. Look at his confrontation with Five again, and you'll see it...
Yeah, there's someone at Gallifrey Base who is adamant that the villain is...

...and has been certain since the beginning.

allyngibson.net
Old August 29 2013, 03:11 AM   #26
The Wormhole
Admiral

Also remember, in the Seventh Doctor issue the Master said the Hooded Villain will be the Doctor's companion in the future. I haven't checked out the Eighth Doctor issue, though before the Seventh with that revelation about him I had been considering him to be Abslom Daak based on the fact that in the Fifth Doctor issue he had Dalek wreckage in his lair.
Old August 29 2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Also remember, in the Seventh Doctor issue the Master said the Hooded Villain will be the Doctor's companion in the future. I haven't checked out the Eighth Doctor issue, though before the Seventh with that revelation about him I had been considering him to be Abslom Daak based on the fact that in the Fifth Doctor issue he had Dalek wreckage in his lair.
Well, if they're purely going by TV characters that narrows it down to:

Chang Lee
Mickey
Adam
Captain Jack
arguably Wilf
Rory

As they're the only male companions in Seven's future

Of which choices it'd be somewhat meta and trolling of the fanbase if it turned out to be Adam, years after all the "Adam is Davros/the Master/The Rani/the Terrible Zodin/etc" bollocks that used to fill up the fora

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:09 PM   #28
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Of which choices it'd be somewhat meta and trolling of the fanbase if it turned out to be Adam, years after all the "Adam is Davros/the Master/The Rani/the Terrible Zodin/etc" bollocks that used to fill up the fora
I doubt the Tiptons are that aware of Doctor Who fandom's bugaboos.

allyngibson.net
Old August 29 2013, 10:49 PM   #29
Nightowl1701
Commander

Actually, what the Master said (after that 'companion' line) went like this:

SEVEN: I have no idea what you're talking about.
MASTER: Of course not, because you haven't met him...yet! HAHAHAHA!!

Though I do see how Wormhole got his interpretation of the scene, mine was that the Doctor, when he does finally see the Hooded Villain unmasked, will instantly know who it is and understand why he's being targeted.

And in Eight's confrontation with him, while he's still hooded and disguised, Eight does say "I feel like I should remember you, but..." and correctly surmises HV put his trust in him at some point, and the Doctor let him down. "Doctor! You surprise me! A note of self-awareness at last? Perhaps even culpability?" But he doesn't reveal himself yet - the Doctor's "not suffered nearly enough."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 01:58 AM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Well, if they're purely going by TV characters that narrows it down to:

Chang Lee
Mickey
Adam
Captain Jack
arguably Wilf
Rory

As they're the only male companions in Seven's future

I've heard Adam suggested before, but my problem is that he's one of the companions that the Hooded Villain has displayed on his computer screen in issue 1, casting doubt that it could be him. Same goes for Mickey and Rory.