CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 11 2013, 04:06 AM   #136
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: Where do I start?

Yeah. Kinda a lot just like that! Thanks.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 11:58 PM   #137
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

ANother stupid question here. My mind is drawing a complete blank, and I've been absolutely unsuccessful searching on line. The Tardis has a system that causes people not to notice it unless they are actively looking for it. Wearing a Tardis key on a string around your neck will aparently serve this purpose as well. What is this system called? I know it's not the chameleon circuit. Thanks for the help. I want to sleep again.

Old August 28 2013, 04:33 AM   #138
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Perception filter.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:28 PM   #139
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

YES! Thanks. Too much minutae in Doctor Who!

Old March 6 2014, 11:58 PM   #140
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

I too have never seen a Doctor Who episode and I was curious about where I should start. Netflix is airing 18 season of Classic Doctor Who (1963) and 8 seasons for the current Doctor Who (2005). I was tempted to make a new thread as this one looks like it's full of spoilers but I'll just use this one to re-ask OP's initial question. I'm okay with watching classic television (Twilight Zone and Hitchcock are among my favorites). Would watching Classic Who make the current series better or could/should I just jump in the current series.
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 12:12 AM   #141
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I think there was some nostalgia that I just couldn't enjoy as much as some, since I have watched very few classic episodes. But I don't think the episodes on Netflix of classic Who really represent the best that the older series have to offer. In any case, I started with Rose and was an addict ever since.

Old March 7 2014, 12:19 AM   #142
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

Rose?
Old March 7 2014, 12:32 AM   #143
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
I too have never seen a Doctor Who episode and I was curious about where I should start. Netflix is airing 18 season of Classic Doctor Who (1963) and 8 seasons for the current Doctor Who (2005). I was tempted to make a new thread as this one looks like it's full of spoilers but I'll just use this one to re-ask OP's initial question. I'm okay with watching classic television (Twilight Zone and Hitchcock are among my favorites). Would watching Classic Who make the current series better or could/should I just jump in the current series.
Just so it's on the newest page.

Any viewers who've seen both the classic and the current series have an opinion?
Old March 7 2014, 12:46 AM   #144
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Having seen Pertwee thru McCoy (and a few #1 & #2) and the TVM, I can't imagine being as into the new series as I am without having seen classic stories.

Opinions vary of course, but I have the nostalgia angle.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 12:55 AM   #145
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Any viewers who've seen both the classic and the current series have an opinion?
Rose is the First Episode of The NuSeries (S1ep01)

Many younger viewers do have a problem with The Black and White episodes and also with the Longer Serials (The First two Doctors have many Serials that are 6 or more episodes long. Episodes are 25 - 30 minutes long. Because it aired 1 episode a week, all year long, there was lots of repetition of running down hallways and get captured and escape, rinse repeat. So, they can also drag for younger viewers. Plus, there was a definite difference in quality of efects between ClassicWho and NuWho).

I love ClassicWho, and watched in the early 1980s, long before NuWho came along, so, I may also have that "nostalgia" and not be impartial.

So, my heart says start with Jon Pertwee's first story, and work your way through from there. But, Starting with Rose is an equally valid place, then when you get all caught up on NuWho, you can venture into ClassicWho.

One option, if you want to Sample ClassicWho, is to try out The Multi-Doctor Stories or maybe one or two of the most popular of each one (You do know The Doctor Changes Actors on average about every 3 years, right [Though Pertwee and Tom Baker stayed longer]. When the Actor changes, The Doctor Regenerates into a new Body [Same character, just new face and personality, but, noticeably the same in subtle ways])

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 01:00 AM   #146
Iamnotspock
Captain

Rose?
The opening episode of the 2005 revival. I grew up when it was off-air, but I came to Doctor Who long before the revival with re-runs of the "classic" years, and then investigated further with VHS/DVD releases and the ancillary media. I find it hard to imagine would it would be like to come to the older stories from the revival.

The revival is a continuation of the original run, albeit with a significant in-narrative time jump, and was designed to be appreciated as a new show without any baggage, with any necessary backstory being filled in over time. Once the series was re-established however, the production team succumbed to the temptation to start including nostalgic elements, and as we got closer to the 50th anniversary the gap was closed until it's now virtually become one whole series again (with a 15-year break between two seasons). There are certainly elements that tie into things from many years past; it's not absolutely essential to know the ins-and-outs of the first 26 year run but you'll get a lot more out of the modern run with at least some basic knowledge of it.

Personally, I'm wont to recommend starting with at least the original first episode, 1963's "An Unearthly Child," which I think is vastly superior to "Rose," relative to the time it was made, and will put certain enduring core elements of the series' mythology into their original context. That said, it depends much on the individual viewer's sensibility. Much of early Who was made against the clock on a shoestring budget, is largely studio-bound, stagey, and much of its effects work is embarrassingly B-movie (and the first 6 years are in black and white), but if you can look past that and see the wildly inventive premise and stories, the wit and the charm of the whole thing then definitely start at the beginning. Its format may take some getting used to as well; 25 minute episodes, multi-part serials, none of which were designed to be watched all together in omnibus form on DVD 30/40/50 years later, so when watched in this way the structure may seem odd.

It's worth noting that Doctor Who can be subdivided into many different eras in terms of tone and approach, as it would subtly reinvent itself every few years when a new producer and new writers would come in with new ideas. The series was initially designed as an intelligent children's semi-educational programme (which could be appreciated by parents too), and then progressed to a more action-adventure formula, became an Earthbound, James Bond-esque show in the early 70s, then took on a Gothic Horror-style flavour and so on. It largely grew up with its audience, and then descended into being very child-orientated again (to put it kindly). Nowadays it's run by fans (a bit like The Simpsons and Star Trek, it's been around for so long that its writers grew up with it), and you can see the influence of all eras of its history - it's a bit like the lunatics running the asylum!
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 01:14 AM   #147
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

I'm going to give the first episode (1968) a shot. I'll check in after that but I'm contemplating whether I should watch the first 2005 after 1968's first or long hauling Classic Who for the next few months.
Old March 7 2014, 01:17 AM   #148
Iamnotspock
Captain

I'm going to give the first episode (1968) a shot. I'll check in after that but I'm contemplating whether I should watch the first 2005 after 1968's first or long hauling Classic Who for the next few months.
1963. I'd give classic a try, bearing in mind that it's 26 years of TV, so maybe if the first few don't grab you, skip to the next phase of the show's history. At least perhaps one story from each Doctor and clips of the key/milestone moments?

The thing about watching just the first one and then jumping to '05 is that, more than most series, Who's mythology evolved significantly over time, so that the first episode alone doesn't give you enough grounding.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 01:31 AM   #149
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Seen both. Watched 3rd Doctor to the 7th, TVM, and the new show.

I watched the classic serious in my early teens. Loved it.

But I don't think you need to watch the old series at all to get into the new one. I think the new series does a fantastic job of introducing you to the world. it was designed to be an introduction to an audience that had NEVER watched it.

Will watching the old series add to your enjoyment of the new series? Perhaps. You might catch an easter egg here and there, and some old baddies that return might have a greater impact.
Old March 7 2014, 10:11 AM   #150
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I have been quite hard on Rose in the past but found myself re-watching it last night and enjoying more than any previous viewing.

I still think that The Eleventh Hour is a better introductory epsiode than Rose though.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote